August 20, 20179 yr To address the success against the Steelers... I don't know any Bengals QB that had a great record against them... they're darn good year in and year out. Maybe Esiason had some solid years against them when they were down for a few years... for awhile it was the Oilers and Bengals fighting it out To add what's your thoughts on Lewis? Like him? Think he stay? Or think we need someone else?
August 20, 20179 yr I am not going to say AJ is like the best qb of all time. However I do think AJ leadership and mindset for big moments would be closer to a Brady than Dalton. The Pats had a good pro bowl qb in Bledsoe who took a team to the super bowl. So he was even better than a Dalton. However his backup Tom Brady was the missing piece. Most people forget that 2001 Patriots team who won the Super Bowl lost their first game that year against a horrible Bengals team while Bledsoe was still the starter. The next game Bledsoe got hurt and the rest was history. Brady at that time wasn't a better passer than Bledsoe and didn't have the experience. But his leadership mindset was what what that team needed. He was basically a game manager but when they needed it he made the plays. So yes I do think a person leadership ability and mindset for the big moments can make a big difference for their team at the qb spot. McCarron needs talent around him, but his mindset would fit with the talent on this team. The Patriots also have the greatest football coach in history IMO. It's so easy to say Brady was the reason they won that Super Bowl and Bledsoe wouldn't have won it. You don't know that. That whole comparison is apples to oranges. There are so many variables that have much higher coefficients on this team than whoever the QB is. It's silly to keep arguing about it. Andy is the QB and will be the QB unless he completely falls off a cliff or gets hurt. There are so many other discussions that we actually agree on and will play a much bigger factor in this season. I'm going to choose to focus on that. I'll criticize Andy if he deserves it, and I praise him if he earns it. But there is nothing he has done or hasn't done that would lead me to believe that he shouldn't be the QB for the Bengals.
August 20, 20179 yr I think Bullock wins the kicking battle. I watched Elliott miss 3 fgs in warmups. Two of them squared the uprights though. Maybe he was testing his accuracy by hitting the uprights, but right now I'm leaning Bullock.
August 20, 20179 yr You realize I answered all those questions in the many novels I wrote on this subject this week. Check out the McCarron thread and I forget the other thread it was discussed in. If i took over right now. I would keep Dalton as starter and give him one more chance. If he fails again and still looks bad in prime time and playoff games. I would then trade him for draft picks because probably get a 1st and 2nd rounder for him at worst. I then sign McCarron back, and go with him while adding more talent. I then also would have a little more money to sign Eifert and Tez back since I traded Dalton. I am for giving Dalton this season to see if he can finally show he can get them over the hump. I'm just doubtful come playoff time that he could handle it and make enough plays to help. So if he fails again I would trade him. My main reason for arguing is when people want to act like were crazy for thinking McCarron maybe would give us a better shot. So I explain why I feel that way. However I still would give Dalton this one last shot. Cool... I don't think you're crazy... I just agree with GrantNKY that you are gonna drive yourself crazy... lol Here's where I think we 100% agree... if you thought Dalton could win a SB, you'd take him ... if I thought McCarron could do it, I'd gladly take him... But I'm glad I'm on the Dalton side of the fence emotionally, because we all know that the Bengals and Mike Brown will "NEVER" willingly make a switch at QB.... not unless Dalton was just terrible like Akili Smith or something... So my point is... the change isn't happening barring injury... so don't drive yourself crazy... I truly believe Dalton is the best option... if I'm wrong, he's still my team's QB for a few more years... like it or not. So far, I like it.. I think he's a tough competitor and I truly don't pin a large percentage of blame on his shoulders for the playoff losses... Is he partly to blame? Of course, and McCarron is partly to blame for the last playoff loss... I think the coaching staff and line play on both sides of the ball or more to blame than either QB...
August 20, 20179 yr To add what's your thoughts on Lewis? Like him? Think he stay? Or think we need someone else? I think we need someone else... but I want a proven coach if at all possible... not a first timer... although I'm not opposed to the "right" first timer.. whoever that may be
August 20, 20179 yr The Patriots also have the greatest football coach in history IMO. It's so easy to say Brady was the reason they won that Super Bowl and Bledsoe wouldn't have won it. You don't know that. That whole comparison is apples to oranges. There are so many variables that have much higher coefficients on this team than whoever the QB is. It's silly to keep arguing about it. Andy is the QB and will be the QB unless he completely falls off a cliff or gets hurt. There are so many other discussions that we actually agree on and will play a much bigger factor in this season. I'm going to choose to focus on that. I'll criticize Andy if he deserves it, and I praise him if he earns it. But there is nothing he has done or hasn't done that would lead me to believe that he shouldn't be the QB for the Bengals. Yes there is. What he has failed to do is to be a true leader of this team. It's sad when Lewis has to say when Whitworth left than Dalton needs to step up and be the true leader of this team now in his 7th season. He is not a leader. Great guy and no one will ever say a bad thing about him because he is a good guy. However not a leader. A great line from a movie was winners want the ball when the game is on the line. Well in the biggest moments like prime time games and playoffs he folds while all eyes are on him. For this team to get over the top he has to step up in those moments and make a play even if everything else may not be going great. Make a play to change things. Dalton is a 6 year sample size hasn't done that. McCarron in a very small sample size. Showed that in the biggest moments even if things may not have gone great most of the game. He could step up and make that play when needed. Daltons weakness is a problem considering the team can't take that next step. If that continues to be a problem then we end up wasting 10 to 12 years being only a good regular season team at games at 1 and 4.
August 20, 20179 yr The Patriots also have the greatest football coach in history IMO. It's so easy to say Brady was the reason they won that Super Bowl and Bledsoe wouldn't have won it. You don't know that. That whole comparison is apples to oranges. There are so many variables that have much higher coefficients on this team than whoever the QB is. It's silly to keep arguing about it. Andy is the QB and will be the QB unless he completely falls off a cliff or gets hurt. There are so many other discussions that we actually agree on and will play a much bigger factor in this season. I'm going to choose to focus on that. I'll criticize Andy if he deserves it, and I praise him if he earns it. But there is nothing he has done or hasn't done that would lead me to believe that he shouldn't be the QB for the Bengals. Very well said... 100% agree
August 20, 20179 yr The Patriots also have the greatest football coach in history IMO. It's so easy to say Brady was the reason they won that Super Bowl and Bledsoe wouldn't have won it. You don't know that. That whole comparison is apples to oranges. There are so many variables that have much higher coefficients on this team than whoever the QB is. It's silly to keep arguing about it. Andy is the QB and will be the QB unless he completely falls off a cliff or gets hurt. There are so many other discussions that we actually agree on and will play a much bigger factor in this season. I'm going to choose to focus on that. I'll criticize Andy if he deserves it, and I praise him if he earns it. But there is nothing he has done or hasn't done that would lead me to believe that he shouldn't be the QB for the Bengals. Well that greatest coach in history got fired from the browns. The greatest coach in history lost the opening game to a horrible Bengals team coached by Dick Lebeau, even though he had a whole off season to prepare. He needed someone with the leadership and mindset of Brady to help shape what he and the Pats became. By all accounts he would suck to play for if you don't win. However when you have a qb who also is attention to detail to everything and leads and holds all players accountable to. It makes it much easier as a coach to get all players to buy in. Brady helped big time in creating the Patriots way. So now When Brady retires yes, Belicheck if he keeps coaching probably will be good still because the foundation has been made. Without Brady no reason to truly know if players buy in to Belichecks ways, bevause until Brady he hadn't been successful. He needed that leadership and mindset of a Brady.
August 20, 20179 yr Well that greatest coach in history got fired from the browns. The greatest coach in history lost the opening game to a horrible Bengals team coached by Dick Lebeau, even though he had a whole off season to prepare. He needed someone with the leadership and mindset of Brady to help shape what he and the Pats became. By all accounts he would suck to play for if you don't win. However when you have a qb who also is attention to detail to everything and leads and holds all players accountable to. It makes it much easier as a coach to get all players to buy in. Brady helped big time in creating the Patriots way. So now When Brady retires yes, Belicheck if he keeps coaching probably will be good still because the foundation has been made. Without Brady no reason to truly know if players buy in to Belichecks ways, bevause until Brady he hadn't been successful. He needed that leadership and mindset of a Brady. The Belicheck way is in large part the Parcel's way... It's a proven winner...
August 20, 20179 yr I think we need someone else... but I want a proven coach if at all possible... not a first timer... although I'm not opposed to the "right" first timer.. whoever that may be At what point did you want someone else though? By all accounts Lewis technically has been more successful than a lot of Nfl coaches considering he has made the plays exactly half of the time. A 50 percent playoff rate is really good. Obviously his lack of playoff wins though is a problem. So at what point did you want a a change? Also how is it any different than me thinking we may be better off with another qb even though Dalton like Lewis has been one of the most successful people at making the playoffs? We obviously keep giving Lewis chance after chance. Do we do the same with Dalton and then wait until it's to late? Some of you all seemed to be in a do or die mode with Dalton no matter what. I agree on giving him this season. But if he fails again in those same moments. When do you all move on before giving someone else a chance to get us over the top with this talent around them.
August 20, 20179 yr Defense was horrible tonight... let's hope it was just young guys making mental miscues... and fix it asap O-line was mostly horrible too, but we expect that unfortunately Marvin said it wasn't all bad. Isn't that funny? What an idiot.
August 20, 20179 yr At what point did you want someone else though? By all accounts Lewis technically has been more successful than a lot of Nfl coaches considering he has made the plays exactly half of the time. A 50 percent playoff rate is really good. Obviously his lack of playoff wins though is a problem. So at what point did you want a a change? Also how is it any different than me thinking we may be better off with another qb even though Dalton like Lewis has been one of the most successful people at making the playoffs? We obviously keep giving Lewis chance after chance. Do we do the same with Dalton and then wait until it's to late? Some of you all seemed to be in a do or die mode with Dalton no matter what. I agree on giving him this season. But if he fails again in those same moments. When do you all move on before giving someone else a chance to get us over the top with this talent around them. I wanted Lewis gone after the San Diego playoff loss... because for the 3rd or 4th straight year, his entire team was unprepared and outplayed... And he's still here.. which proves my point... Bengals won't willingly make a QB change... so, let's all accept that as truth and hope they succeed... I get you're giving him another year... but the Bengals are giving him another 5 plus years and we all know it... And I think the kid has earned it... again, playoff losses aren't all on the QB... Just like I think Lewis earned the "re-set" contract with Dalton, Green etc coming in as rookies... Big difference in 14 seasons with 6 bad ones as a whole versus Dalton's 6 seasons with last year being his "bad one"
August 20, 20179 yr Marvin said it wasn't all bad. Isn't that funny? What an idiot. Well, Erickson did well and the kickers made kicks... lol
August 20, 20179 yr I wanted Lewis gone after the San Diego playoff loss... because for the 3rd or 4th straight year, his entire team was unprepared and outplayed... And he's still here.. which proves my point... Bengals won't willingly make a QB change... so, let's all accept that as truth and hope they succeed... I get you're giving him another year... but the Bengals are giving him another 5 plus years and we all know it... And I think the kid has earned it... again, playoff losses aren't all on the QB... Just like I think Lewis earned the "re-set" contract with Dalton, Green etc coming in as rookies... Big difference in 14 seasons with 6 bad ones as a whole versus Dalton's 6 seasons with last year being his "bad one" Just because I think they should move on from Dalton if they fail this year. Doesn't mean I think they will. The Bengals are loyal to a fault even to old players past their prime. So my point is say they keep Dalton the next 5 years but still never do better than just making the playoffs. Would you still say it was the right move? My point is when is enough of the same status quo. Now it seems even You and other Bengals fans have fell into the wait a year or two to long to move on. Bengals always seem to be a year or two behind on when they make a move. Now with the basic do or die stance some of you all are taking with Dalton it's the same thing. If Dalton doesn't take this team the next step or at least look better in those big moments after year 7. Why should we wait until year 8, 9 and 10 and see if it finally changes. Just like with keeping Marvin, keeping Dalton after 7 years and expecting a different result after the same results is not right imo. When a backup qb with less experience did what Dalton has made a living of. He beat the teams he was suppose to beat, and quite honestly looked better than Dalton in the situation Dalton struggles in. Even though it was still losses he did perform better in those situations. So why not after this year make that change and go with McCarron if Dalton still fails in those situations.
August 20, 20179 yr Back to the game after I state that AD will be our QB for a long time. Marvin will probably not be here too much longer as head coach. Now the game: It's simple: KC 1st team Off Better than Cincy 1st team Def KC 1st team Def better than Cincy 1st team Off KC 2nd team Off better than Cincy 2nd team Def KC 2nd team Def better than Cincy 2nd team Off If you didn't see it that way then I don't know what gme you were watching. The only thing I have learned over a long time in the NFL is that Preseason games are not a gauge for any predictors for regular season, but man it was hard to think that last night. The Bengals were horrible.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.