• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Big 11

2. SEC

3-6. Pick 'em...

Really? With Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, and a shaky Minnesota team pulling up the rear? A bunch of average teams in Penn St, Michigan St, Wisconsin, and Purdue. I'm still not sold on Iowa, not until Saturday night. And even Michigan still has a lot to prove in the next few weeks to make sure they don't look too far ahead towards Ohio St.

SEC: It has its teams to match the bottom of Big 10, Ole Miss, Miss St, UK. It has average teams in South Car, Bama, and Arkansas. Even Vandy went to the Big House and played them tough for a long time. The difference in the two to me is at the top. There is tremendous depth with UT, Florida, Georgia, LSU, and Auburn. Those five are in the top 10 to me in the nation. UT's win is looking better and better over Cal who I think will beat USC.

IMO they both have the same bottom teams and avg teams, only way to separate them is at the top.

It says the SEC has made a living off the PAC 10 and non BCS schools while the Big East has been the most competitive amoung the BCS conferences, the Big 10 is holding it's own and the ACC and Big 12 are struggling.

I can't believe it took this long for someone to chime in with the anti-sec sentiment. :lol:

I would agree that the SEC isn't as strong top to bottom as usuall, although it is still brutal. But I would put the top two teams from the East and the top two from the West up against anyone in the country.

There are 6 of them. Y'all are leaving out the ACC.

Yeah, and they are not playing up to par this year either. Miami and Florida State are not the teams they once were, NC State hasn't had a great year in a while, and you never know how good VaTech is until they play those three teams.

SEC

Big Ten

Pac-10

Big 12

ACC

Big East

Really? With Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, and a shaky Minnesota team pulling up the rear? A bunch of average teams in Penn St, Michigan St, Wisconsin, and Purdue. I'm still not sold on Iowa, not until Saturday night. And even Michigan still has a lot to prove in the next few weeks to make sure they don't look too far ahead towards Ohio St.

SEC: It has its teams to match the bottom of Big 10, Ole Miss, Miss St, UK. It has average teams in South Car, Bama, and Arkansas. Even Vandy went to the Big House and played them tough for a long time. The difference in the two to me is at the top. There is tremendous depth with UT, Florida, Georgia, LSU, and Auburn. Those five are in the top 10 to me in the nation. UT's win is looking better and better over Cal who I think will beat USC.

IMO they both have the same bottom teams and avg teams, only way to separate them is at the top.

All valid points, but it's my take that the Big 11 has the two best teams in the discussion. So based on that, they get my #1... :D

All valid points, but it's my take that the Big 11 has the two best teams in the discussion. So based on that, they get my #1... :D

:thumb: :thumb:

Big 10

Sec

The Rest

The Mich and OSU game will be the second #1-#2 match up this season...as GT would say....."Write it down."

This argument is almost always the same. You have your people like me, who always think the SEC is the strongest conference, and, no surprise, I feel that way again this year. Then, you have the Big Ten people who think it is better. Both sides always have good facts to support the opinions and both sides make valid arguments.

I'll once again restate my opinion on why I think the SEC is better. When judging conference strength, I choose to give much more weight to the "elite" teams at the top of the conference, and not nearly as much to the mid-level and bottom feeders. Why? Because I think it's easier for an elite team to make it through a conference of mid-level teams as opposed to making through a conference with 3 or 4 powerhouse teams at the top, and a bunch of bottom feeders. So, while one conference may "average" out to be better because all of it's teams are decent, it's much harder to make it through the other conference because you have to play 2 or 3 more games against elite competition.

Example:

Ohio State:

Ranked Opponents - Michigan, Iowa, Penn State

Unranked Opponents - Michigan State, Indiana, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern

Florida:

Ranked Opponents - Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, Georgia

Unranked Opponents - Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Alabama, South Carolina

I think Florida's schedule would be much tougher to make it through unbeaten. While Ohio State plays some good teams, barring a poor performance by them or a great one by their opponents, Michigan is the only team that seems to be on par with them. Florida, on the other hand, has to play 4 teams that are very capable of beating them.

This argument is almost always the same. You have your people like me, who always think the SEC is the strongest conference, and, no surprise, I feel that way again this year. Then, you have the Big Ten people who think it is better. Both sides always have good facts to support the opinions and both sides make valid arguments.

Dont forget the people who think the Big East is the best! :lol:

I agree with #1 but still not sold on the maize and blue. Guess its the Michigan in me that has watched them since Woodson left. And maybe holding on hoping for a Carr replacement. :D

I agree with #1 but still not sold on the maize and blue. Guess its the Michigan in me that has watched them since Woodson left. And maybe holding on hoping for a Carr replacement. :D

You know I'm with you on Carr, but I see a much improved D this year and that's why I'm sold on them. I don't think the SEC has a team that matches up well on BOTH sides of the ball over 60 minutes. There is no doubt the SEC has a few teams that can dominate one side of the ball, and do just enough on the other. tO$U and UM are loaded on both...