Police Taser suicidal man doused in Gasoline; setting him on fire

littleluck55

Only good option would be to hit him with a fire hose, but I'm betting that wasn't an option.

If this was a prolonged standoff and Fire Dept was standing by in case the guy caught the house on fire, the fire hose is a great idea. If this a spur of the moment thing, it really tough to figure out the appropriate action to take.

Seriously!? Trying to get the Fire Department (at least the one where I worked) to help the Police with any type of Law Enforcement Function was a complete non-starter. They always had some blanket legal statement for everything.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How often are those available?

This is the problem, for whatever reason most the Police Departments I am familiar with do not embrace the Bean Bag Gun.

Thinking back through all of my uses of force, which was many over the years, sometimes solo, often times with a group of Police Officers, many of the situations were better suited for a Bean Bag Gun only we didn't have one.

Simply put, I think every Police Officer should have a Bean Bag Gun in his vehicle.

Seriously!? Trying to get the Fire Department (at least the one where I worked) to help the Police with any type of Law Enforcement Function was a complete non-starter. They always had some blanket legal statement for everything.

Yeah that is a problem in some areas.

Only good option would be to hit him with a fire hose, but I'm betting that wasn't an option.

If this was a prolonged standoff and Fire Dept was standing by in case the guy caught the house on fire, the fire hose is a great idea. If this a spur of the moment thing, it really tough to figure out the appropriate action to take.

Then you drown the guy and they are in the same boat.

Getting hit with a taser is better than being shot, so...

Except studies have been done to show that hitting someone doused in gasoline with a taser is absolutely going to set them on fire. I haven't been able to find anything regarding the reaction of a bullet.

Except studies have been done to show that hitting someone doused in gasoline with a taser is absolutely going to set them on fire. I haven't been able to find anything regarding the reaction of a bullet.

Any taser training I've had says not to tase even after OC because it's flammable. I wouldn't have tasted the guy if I knew him to be covered in gas.

I'd say given a few minutes to mull it over, I take my Asp and try and crack him across the wrist to make him drop the lighter if I can get close enough.

The only guy soaked in gas I've dealt with was 30' up a pine tree :lol2:

This is the problem, for whatever reason most the Police Departments I am familiar with do not embrace the Bean Bag Gun.

Simply put, I think every Police Officer should have a Bean Bag Gun in his vehicle.

One more thing for me to break or lose :lol2:

We actually have quite a few folks assigned bean bag guns.

Any taser training I've had says not to tase even after OC because it's flammable. I wouldn't have tasted the guy if I knew him to be covered in gas.

I'd say given a few minutes to mull it over, I take my Asp and try and crack him across the wrist to make him drop the lighter if I can get close enough.

The only guy soaked in gas I've dealt with was 30' up a pine tree :lol2:

I had the same training when we had oil based OC.

One more thing for me to break or lose :lol2:

We actually have quite a few folks assigned bean bag guns.

I just finished talking to a local police officer and same deal, for whatever reason the leadership is anti bean bag.