Police Taser suicidal man doused in Gasoline; setting him on fire

littleluck55

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Suicidal man doused in gasoline catches fire after Texas police use Taser on him | The Seattle Times

ARLINGTON, Texas — A suicidal man who had doused himself in gasoline became engulfed in flames at an Arlington home Monday after an officer used a stun gun on him, police said.

The officer who used the Taser on the man believed that the man was holding a lighter in his hand and was about to use it, police spokeswoman Sgt. VaNessa Harrison said at a news conference.

Harrison acknowledged the risk of using an electrical stun gun near gasoline, but said the man was “very frantic and erratic and became a danger to everyone in the room.”

“We realize that a Taser can have some other implications, but we also know he had something in his hand,” Harrison said. “It’s unclear at this moment whether he became engulfed in flames from the gasoline and ignitable object he had in his hand or from the Taser.”

The man was taken to a hospital. His condition was unknown.

Three police officers were also taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation. Their injuries were not life-threatening, Harrison said.

Police were called to the home about noon, where two women reported that a mentally ill man was attempting suicide.

The man had doused himself in gasoline and was threatening to harm himself, Harrison said. Officers arrived, got the women out of the home and began talking to the man.

While officers tried to calm the man, Harrison said, he poured more gasoline on himself and was believed to be holding a lighter in one hand.

An officer used a Taser on the man “to subdue him,” Harrison said, but the man became engulfed in flames. Officers wrapped the man in a blanket to put out the fire and got the man outside the home.

Police were still investigating the incident Monday afternoon.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much you can do. You can't rush him because he is holding a lighter, you can't shoot him, probably shouldn't taser him, what do you do? A beanbag gun would be good.

Another article I read said 3 officers were taken to the hospital with smoke inhalation so I assume they put their lives on the line to save him once he became engulfed.

I echo Guru, tough situation.

If the guy was doused in gasoline and holding a lighter, what should the officer have done? Seems to me there wasn't a good option. To me the potential danger of an open flame is much more dangerous than the potential danger of a taser. It certainly is not a choice I would want to make in a split second.

If the guy was doused in gasoline and holding a lighter, what should the officer have done? Seems to me there wasn't a good option. To me the potential danger of an open flame is much more dangerous than the potential danger of a taser. It certainly is not a choice I would want to make in a split second.

Easy to judge from a keyboard with all the time in the world to consider your options.

Only good option would be to hit him with a fire hose, but I'm betting that wasn't an option.

If this was a prolonged standoff and Fire Dept was standing by in case the guy caught the house on fire, the fire hose is a great idea. If this a spur of the moment thing, it really tough to figure out the appropriate action to take.