Class 2A Rankings (Fan Poll)

4chs

Sidenote:

This whole Mercer debate is getting really old. Programs and fans from Belfry and Russell have NO reason to carry on this controversy. When you compare track records, especially in the pat 5 years, there is no comparison in programs. The entire thing is coming off as whining to me from programs that of all schools should simply be telling the Titans to strap it up, bring it, and prove their talk.

As for mercer fans..... stop clamoring how your fifth string running back would start on any 2A team...as far as I am concerned when comparing backs within the class, until Ford and Jackson can prove they can progress the Titans to the state semi-finals they can't even top my list of 2A backs compared to Kasey Clark (Russell, 1500+ yds last season, state title ring), Dustin May (Belfry, 1200+ yards last season, 2 state title rings), and Corey Chapman (Belfry, 1000+ yards last season, 2 state title rings).

Lets cut this merger talk and focus on X's and O's... how to beat Mercer,,,, and how Mercer can prove they are on tier with the 2A teams who have dominated the class the past few seasons.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russell also lost 34-6 to Boyle County in 1999. Give the Red Devils credit for playing LexCath tough in 2000, but to be honest, we didn't hear much about Russell being a statewide factor very much in the 1990s.

Bottom line, however ... Boyle and LexCath were the class of 2A in their final two seasons before moving up. Russell was the only team to even make them break a sweat.

I don't believe anybody gave that Boyle Co team much of a game. I could be wrong but that was one of the closest games Boyle played that year.

As for Russell in the 90s.

99 lost to Boyle Co. (8-4)

98 lost 28-22 to a Prestonsburg team that made it to the state finals.(7-4)

96(20-14) & 95(35-6) were beaten out in the region by Breathitt Co during the Bobcats back to back state titles. (10-2 both years)

94 undefeated until upset by Whitesburg 14-7 in the regional final. (12-1)

93 upset by Prestonsburg at home 21-0 in regional final. (11-2)

92 lost to Prestonsburg 13-3 in 2nd round of playoffs.(8-4)

91 upset by Lawrence Co 18-15 in 2nd round of AAA playoffs. (8-4)

I don't believe anybody gave that Boyle Co team much of a game. I could be wrong but that was one of the closest games Boyle played that year.

As for Russell in the 90s.

99 lost to Boyle Co. (8-4)

98 lost 28-22 to a Prestonsburg team that made it to the state finals.(7-4)

96(20-14) & 95(35-6) were beaten out in the region by Breathitt Co during the Bobcats back to back state titles. (10-2 both years)

94 undefeated until upset by Whitesburg 14-7 in the regional final. (12-1)

93 upset by Prestonsburg at home 21-0 in regional final. (11-2)

92 lost to Prestonsburg 13-3 in 2nd round of playoffs.(8-4)

91 upset by Lawrence Co 18-15 in 2nd round of AAA playoffs. (8-4)

Wow...one can forget how solid the Blackcats have been in 2A football for a long period of time until they look at those stats.

Harrodsburg students are bused to Mercer to take classes and Mercer students are bused to Harrodsburg for certain classes. It's kind of hectic, but that's the plan until we get the new school built. So they ARE taking classes together.

Now, back to football. Obviously, Mercer's strength is big play speed. That's how they beat boyle. They also have a solid defense. My biggest concern is the fact that we haven't proven that we can consistently throw the ball. I'm not saying that we CAN'T. I'm just saying that we haven't had to yet and Coach Jaggers' philosophy is that you have to stop our run before he's going to pass. I wonder how that will play out when we get into the playoffs and face teams like Russell who may force the pass.

The Blackcats have been very good for a long time. The last two years are an enigma. The only thing I want to correct is their 98 team didn't make the state finals, they lost to Lawrence Co in the 2nd round 50-14 the week after beating Russell.

The only thing I want to correct is their 98 team didn't make the state finals, they lost to Lawrence Co in the 2nd round 50-14 the week after beating Russell.

sheww don't remind me:cry: ...that team had SOOO much talent and how they got blown out like that is beyond me. We were loaded that year.

The Blackcats have been very good for a long time. The last two years are an enigma. The only thing I want to correct is their 98 team didn't make the state finals, they lost to Lawrence Co in the 2nd round 50-14 the week after beating Russell.

Which year was it that Prestonsburg made it to the state finals?

You are right that was Parker and company I believe. That was a very good LC team and one tough district. Lawrence Co, Russell, Mason Co, Newport, Lloyd Memorial, East Carter and Fleming Co.

Sidenote:

This whole Mercer debate is getting really old. Programs and fans from Belfry and Russell have NO reason to carry on this controversy. When you compare track records, especially in the pat 5 years, there is no comparison in programs. The entire thing is coming off as whining to me from programs that of all schools should simply be telling the Titans to strap it up, bring it, and prove their talk.

As for mercer fans..... stop clamoring how your fifth string running back would start on any 2A team...as far as I am concerned when comparing backs within the class, until Ford and Jackson can prove they can progress the Titans to the state semi-finals they can't even top my list of 2A backs compared to Kasey Clark (Russell, 1500+ yds last season, state title ring), Dustin May (Belfry, 1200+ yards last season, 2 state title rings), and Corey Chapman (Belfry, 1000+ yards last season, 2 state title rings).

Lets cut this merger talk and focus on X's and O's... how to beat Mercer,,,, and how Mercer can prove they are on tier with the 2A teams who have dominated the class the past few seasons.

Great post. The only thing is that I think the guy who stated that our top seven backs would start for any AA team in the top 7, I don't believe he was even a Mercer fan. Just someone who has seen them play some in our area. And I totally disagree with his opinion.

Wow...one can forget how solid the Blackcats have been in 2A football for a long period of time until they look at those stats.

I remember seeing them snap that 42 game winning streak of Danville's. Then a couple years ago I saw Danville snap Boyle's 47 game win streak. I may be bad luck for those two when I'm in attendance during a huge win streak.