May 18, 20179 yr Kind of surprised he didn't follow some of his best buds to UK. Also not surprised because he has no threat of anyone playing over him so he walks in the "big man on campus" Still think if he had any interest in the college game and winning a title he would not have gone this way. I think he's looking for maximum scoring, maximum exposure as the main piece on a team to improve his draft stock and there is nothing wrong with that in this one and done word we live in. Wish he was in UK blue, but good luck to the young man!
May 18, 20179 yr Also not surprised because he has no threat of anyone playing over him so he walks in the "big man on campus" He wasn't going to have that threat on the Kentucky's roster either.
May 18, 20179 yr Still think if he had any interest in the college game and winning a title he would not have gone this way. I think he's looking for maximum scoring, maximum exposure as the main piece on a team to improve his draft stock and there is nothing wrong with that in this one and done word we live in. Kentucky fans need to quit acting like you are in the 2nd paragraph. Every time a player chooses another school, so many are quick to say "Well, he must not want to win a championship". "He must only care about his numbers". "He doesn't want to be a teammate". Get over yourselves. Maybe he actually liked their academic programs that he had interest in? Maybe he connected better with Shaka Smart than Cal and his coaching staff.
May 18, 20179 yr Coach Smart may not have been aware of it, but I put him through a weeklong job interview last summer when he coached me on Team USA in Valdivia, Chile. We instantly formed a bond.-Bamba
May 18, 20179 yr Kentucky fans need to quit acting like you are in the 2nd paragraph. Every time a player chooses another school, so many are quick to say "Well, he must not want to win a championship". "He must only care about his numbers". "He doesn't want to be a teammate". Get over yourselves. Maybe he actually liked their academic programs that he had interest in? Maybe he connected better with Shaka Smart than Cal and his coaching staff. Yeah since Smart was his coach in the all star stuff.
May 18, 20179 yr Author Kentucky fans need to quit acting like you are in the 2nd paragraph. Every time a player chooses another school, so many are quick to say "Well, he must not want to win a championship". "He must only care about his numbers". "He doesn't want to be a teammate". Get over yourselves. Maybe he actually liked their academic programs that he had interest in? Maybe he connected better with Shaka Smart than Cal and his coaching staff. I don't think it has anything to do with him choosing Kentucky or not choosing Kentucky. Sounds like you are quick to point out something that isn't there! Hiding your own insecurities, maybe? I meant nothing about him picking Kentucky over Texas, the point I was making, which is 100% accurate and has nothing to do with my fandom of UK is that if winning was near the top of his list he would have chosen Duke or Kentucky over Texas. Also, please tell me where I said he only cares about his numbers and doesn't want to be a teammate? I'll wait for you to find it. You are blind and ignorant of you actually think any of these kids really choose a school based on academics when they know they will be there for 6 months and then gone. Nothing that I said is throwing shade at this kid. Obviously UK wasn't his favorite school and I am cool with that. There are reasons he chose Texas, and I was voicing my opinion on why I thought he chose to go there and that I couldn't blame him one bit. Get off your high horse and read the whole statement, and if you don't like it, don't reply to me.
May 18, 20179 yr I don't think it has anything to do with him choosing Kentucky or not choosing Kentucky. Sounds like you are quick to point out something that isn't there! Hiding your own insecurities, maybe? Yeah. I have insecurities over this, that makes perfect sense. I meant nothing about him picking Kentucky over Texas, the point I was making, which is 100% accurate and has nothing to do with my fandom of UK is that if winning was near the top of his list he would have chosen Duke or Kentucky over Texas. Also, please tell me where I said he only cares about his numbers and doesn't want to be a teammate? I'll wait for you to find it. I did not say that you said he only cares about his numbers. I specifically said "Kentucky fans need to quit acting like you and saying things like..." Besides that..."to maximize on his scoring" and "caring about his numbers" don't seem like two different things.
May 18, 20179 yr You are blind and ignorant of you actually think any of these kids really choose a school based on academics when they know they will be there for 6 months and then gone. Call me blind and ignorant all you want. I disagree that sometimes it doesn't play a factor (e.g. See Bolden choosing UK because his mom was happy with the education Duke provided). KSR even quoted Bamba as saying that the Texas business program was important to him. Probably all fluff but that doesn't change that the kid said it. Matt Jones has continually said this morning that he actually thinks academics probably played a factor in his recruiting.
May 18, 20179 yr Nothing that I said is throwing shade at this kid. Obviously UK wasn't his favorite school and I am cool with that. There are reasons he chose Texas, and I was voicing my opinion on why I thought he chose to go there and that I couldn't blame him one bit. Get off your high horse and read the whole statement, and if you don't like it, don't reply to me. No high horse here and I did read your whole post, twice actually. Never said you threw shade. I stand by my point that it gets very old when Kentucky fans continually point to a player choosing a different school because they only care about scoring, don't care about winning, and not wanting to share the limelight. In reality, most the time the player just didn't feel it was the right fit and had a better connection elsewhere but too many fans have to find ways to rationalize it like the 2nd paragraph in your first post.
May 18, 20179 yr Author Yeah. I have insecurities over this, that makes perfect sense. I did not say that you said he only cares about his numbers. I specifically said "Kentucky fans need to quit acting like you and saying things like..." Besides that..."to maximize on his scoring" and "caring about his numbers" are two different things. Which is the point I am trying to make I never said any of the things that you accused me of saying so I don't know why Kentucky fans need to quit acting like me. You are basically accusing me of thinking UK is the only school a kid should choose and anyone that doesn't is an idiot! Never once was my post anything close to that. Never once did I say he should have come to UK. I'm trying to figure out where I said something so terrible that I need to "get over myself"
May 18, 20179 yr Author Lastly, no high horse here and I did read your whole post, twice actually. Never said you threw shade. I stand by my point that it gets very old when Kentucky fans continually point to a player choosing a different school because they only care about scoring, don't care about winning, and not wanting to share the limelight. In reality, most the time the player just didn't feel it was the right fit and had a better connection elsewhere. Which is what is bothering me, because I never said anything of the sort? I never said he didn't care about any of those things, simply stated that, in my opinion, if winning was higher on the priority list I do not think he would have picked Texas. 100% accurate statement. Maximum scoring and being "the guy" would not happen at UK or Duke so it makes sense he went to Texas to be that.
May 18, 20179 yr Kentucky fans need to quit acting like you are in the 2nd paragraph. Every time a player chooses another school, so many are quick to say "Well, he must not want to win a championship". "He must only care about his numbers". "He doesn't want to be a teammate". Get over yourselves. Maybe he actually liked their academic programs that he had interest in? Maybe he connected better with Shaka Smart than Cal and his coaching staff. Preach, we wonder why UK fans get a bad stigma.
May 18, 20179 yr Author Preach, we wonder why UK fans get a bad stigma. At the end of the day, I completely agree with both of you it is old and tiresome when it happens. What bothers me so much is nothing that I said hints that I was saying anything negative about the kid, the pick he made, or anything about how he should have picked UK over any other school. He picked what he was comfortable with, no harm there.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.