April 25, 20179 yr I've got about a 400-500 square foot area that I need to have sod installed. Looking for recommendations to 1)buy(where?) and install on my own, 2)affordable lawn service company to come in and do it for me.
April 25, 20179 yr My answers I've got about a 400-500 square foot area that I need to have sod installed. Looking for recommendations to 1)buy(where?) =home depot and install on my own, 2)= Yes, roto till before you put it down and water the heck out of it. affordable lawn service company to come in and do it for me. =Unicorn, no such thing
April 25, 20179 yr There is a sod farm out in Georgetown that you can buy direct from the farm. Not sure if they do install or not.
April 25, 20179 yr Not that Home Depot's sod is the worst thing in the world, but I'd advise against it, if it can be helped. Few reasons: -There's no telling how long it's been since the sod was actually cut. -There's no telling when/how much the sod was watered after being cut. -Often times it's hard to tell what type of grass you're getting. In the Cincinnati area, I would suggest calling Motz Turf Farms or Turpin Farms. They may have a minimum order, but if so, ask if you can get your order piggybacked onto someone else's.
April 25, 20179 yr Also, I agree with TAC...roto-till (ABSOLUTELY roto-till) and install your own. I re-graded and sodded my parents' entire 1/4 acre yard several years ago. Took me, my dad and my uncle about 4 hours to lay all the sod ourselves. One thing I'd also be remiss not to mention is that you need to get 30 minutes of sprinkler coverage every day on all areas of the sod.
April 25, 20179 yr If you know someone with land, rent a sod cutter and do it yourself. I did this on about the same amount of area you are talking and it cost me about $80 rental fee.
April 25, 20179 yr As CWB has already mentioned, Turpin Farms up in Cincinnati is a good one. They only cut stuff that's already been bought and paid for. So, nothing is sitting around drying out. It's who we used about 15 years ago. I will second (third?) the roto-tilling. An absolute must in my opinion. Also, if you have access it a rear-tine tiller, it is well worth it (both in better preparation and in aggravation) versus a front-tine. Water goes without saying. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is fertilizer. I wish I had put some starter fertilizer under my sod when we redid a spot in our front yard.
April 25, 20179 yr Author Thanks everyone. I went with Turpin. They are delivering tomorrow. Hoping my neighbor will let me borrow his tiller, if not it will be lots of shovel and raking tonight.
April 25, 20179 yr Thanks everyone. I went with Turpin. They are delivering tomorrow. Hoping my neighbor will let me borrow his tiller, if not it will be lots of shovel and raking tonight. Art's Rental has tillers
April 25, 20179 yr Don't forget to stagger your rows similar to bricklaying so that all of your seams are not lined up parallel to each other.
April 26, 20179 yr Turpin farms is who I used as well. No complaints. But make sure it is a sunny area. The sod will thin out over time if it is a shady area. Also, keep an eye out for racoons coming in the night and rolling up your sod looking for worms. They can roll it up such that it looks like a person did it. They will keep coming until it firms up.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.