Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Corbin 92 Paris 74

Featured Replies

  • Replies 39
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jordan Davis was out and Eric Johnson was in foul trouble in the second. Then got a tech halfway through the 3rd and the coach sat him the rest of the game. The refs were absolutely terrible which caused Paris to give up and play frustrated.

 

Come on now. Let's don't start that. Paris has a wonderful team but they lost to a better team tonight. The Refs were fair. They let the guys play. Game had a good flow. Corbin was short-handed tonight. They were without one of their starters due to the flu.

Edited by Science Friction

Corbin's #10 was a very nice player, the kid can shoot.

 

Sophomore Chase Sanders. He has a nice stroke.

Come on now. Let's don't start that. Paris has a wonderful team but they lost to a better team tonight. The Refs were fair. They let the guys play. Game had a good flow. Corbin was short-handed tonight. They were without one of their starters due to the flu.

 

Lol Paris was short handed too. Several missed walks and 2 missed techs in corbins favor. We'll see ya at rupp where you can't have the refs on the payroll

You are down 10 getting off the bus at Corbin. 15 if out of region

You are down 10 getting off the bus at Corbin. 15 if out of region

But isn't it that way in all the regions for visiting out-of-region teams? I've been watching high school basketball since the early 1960's and it's my experience if a team is venturing into their opponent's region that it means at least a negative 10 points before the tip, maybe more. This is mostly the result of the coaches within each region rate their officials for post season tournaments, but it's also simply that the home refs are more familiar with the coaches within their region. I suppose they're human.

 

I remember my school going to Pulaski County in the early 1980's. Unfortunately it was also on a night the school was honoring former head coaches. We got within 3 points late in the 4th quarter and our coach got a technical for hollering at one of his players for not blocking out for a rebound, lol. Ref said he was shouting at him but he wasn't because I know, I was sitting right beside of him. The official knew exactly what he was doing. They hit the free throws and went on to win by around 10. We had one of our better teams that year, finishing the season runner up in our region and 28-5 record. We was not going to win that game on "Coaches Honor Night".:isurrender::D

To add a little more to the above my school and OBI are only 19 miles apart but we're in the 14th and they're in the 13th. Our girls coach said he just about knew that a ref that called every game we played in Oneida, and older guy, had a room and a bed somewhere in that building. :lol: He cracked me up every time he would say that. It was a tough matter to beat them when he was in control. They beat us one year by 2 or 3 points on their floor and we won by around 40 on ours.

I've heard this stuff for years about the biased officiating. I have honestly never really seen it. And I've looked hard for it. Refs are not out to cheat a school in favor of another. The one time that I actually did see evidence of shady dealings was back in the days of Bobby Keith at Clay Co. They won something like 130 in a row over there during one stretch. The refs were so intimidated by Keith that it became absurd at times. All kind of shenanigans over there in those days. Nowadays, home teams may get a call here and there but , for the most part, I think they are called fairly even. No one getting special treatment from the refs at Gainesville tonight or at Corbin. Just two teams getting their butts kicked by better teams.

The guys from Paris have been grinding for awhile. Get some rest; you have a couple of more tournaments to win........

Okay, say we have a much closer called game just like some of you wanted. Corbin still wins, they have a deeper bench. Yes they missed a technical on the shot from the bench but it wouldn't have changed the outcome and if Corbin gets out of their district and wins the region, I'm sure they will be happy to play a rematch.

Come on man. "I've never really seen it".. you guys may have been the better team tonight but stop defending what goes on there. Your losing credibility quickly my man. Over the years have seen about 5-7 games there and it has always been Corbin's advantage with the whistle. Not just sometimes ..always. Heard about all the others too. It is what it is..

Come on man. "I've never really seen it".. you guys may have been the better team tonight but stop defending what goes on there. Your losing credibility quickly my man. Over the years have seen about 5-7 games there and it has always been Corbin's advantage with the whistle. Not just sometimes ..always. Heard about all the others too. It is what it is..

We must hope that both teams make the state tournament and for better or worse we will know the answer to many questions that have been brought up! Good luck to both Paris and Corbin, you are all just a bunch of dogs anyway.

Blaming refs is the easy way out Paris was over matched #10 had 16 points in the first quarter. Geez he hit 2 3 pointers 27 feet out he set the tempo to Corbin's liking. The Taylor kid had 41 points and 17 rebounds, Refs had nothing to do with this game. Paris didn't play bad Corbin was red hot and beat them in transition on several positions.

Yes we got out played without our best defensive player and the refs were horrible. None of that matter Corbin has a star in Andrew Taylor and they flat out outplayed us last night. #parispride

I've heard this stuff for years about the biased officiating. I have honestly never really seen it. And I've looked hard for it. Refs are not out to cheat a school in favor of another. The one time that I actually did see evidence of shady dealings was back in the days of Bobby Keith at Clay Co. They won something like 130 in a row over there during one stretch. The refs were so intimidated by Keith that it became absurd at times. All kind of shenanigans over there in those days. Nowadays, home teams may get a call here and there but , for the most part, I think they are called fairly even. No one getting special treatment from the refs at Gainesville tonight or at Corbin. Just two teams getting their butts kicked by better teams.

 

SF, I usually agree with most of your post but with this one I'll have to take exception. I've seen many games in my life and the home team in a region playing a team from another region nearly always has a clear advantage. I would say at least 10 points or more. The home team will get the majority of the judgement, or 50/50, calls. Block/Charge is a beauty of an example. And there's the occasional 3 second call against the visitors, a call rarely made these days. There's the push or over the back rebound no-calls. There's also the knowledge by the home team that they can play much more aggressive in their defense, particularly their press, because the whistle will not likely be as strict on them as it will for the out of region boys when they use their press. Then there's the 'good ol' boy' familiarity with the referees that the visiting coach doesn't have. The advantages are many for the in-region host team.

 

I'm not referring to a home team advantage when playing another member school from the same region, only outside of the region opponents.

I've always said the main reason for this is the way the rating system is set up in the region's for post season games assigned to referees. A coach from region A visiting a school from region B does not rate the refs calling the game that night for post season prime assignments.. Only the host school's coach has that leverage. It's only human nature that a system like that has an effect on refs, if only subconsciously. They know which coach that night can butter their bread and it definitely isn't the visiting coach.

 

I know this type of topic is just based on opinions, and although I respect your opinion I'll have to disagree with you on this one. I've watched high school basketball for over 50 years and I've seen it happen too many times with my own eyes. The example given using Clay County and Bobby Keith is not an anomaly, it's a common occurrence.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.