Ohio State 2017 schedule and talk

newarkcatholicfan

I'm pretty sure you all have a head coach who is known for having one of the best offensive minds in the country. You all truly don't think he had much say in how the offense was ran the last 2 years and what calls are made during the game?

Urban has had great offenses everywhere he has gone. Maybe the last 2 years OSU simply wasn't as good as you all thought. It's still funny hearing some of you all turn on JT when just last year you all were telling me how much better the offense is with him as the qb.

Urban hands the keys to his offense over to his OC. He truly doesn't have much say in the play calling during the game and doesn't take part in the offensive meetings during the week. He has always given his assistants blank checks in that regards. It's a good strategy until it's not.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not many big name coaches go back to being a coordinator when they know they are one of the best college coaches. Plus with Kelly's big ego, do you really think he would want to go back to working under another Coach?

Chip Kelly will probably be the next Notre Dame coach. Shoot it could still happen this year, or he could wait till next year.

It's far fetched I know, but I don't think ND is going to open up their HC position this year. They could and honestly I wish they would because BK is a tool. But I don't see it happening. Urban and Chip are great friends and that can't be discounted. Urban has his assistants paid very well so I'm not saying it's going to happen by any means, but I'm not saying it won't either.

Urban hands the keys to his offense over to his OC. He truly doesn't have much say in the play calling during the game and doesn't take part in the offensive meetings during the week. He has always given his assistants blank checks in that regards. It's a good strategy until it's not.

See now that is different than what Texas Tom Herman said during a coaching clinic Tom Herman spoke at that I was at. He talked about how involved Urban was and how it was kind of intimidating at first since Urban was always such a good offensive Coach. He even mentioned how they even would get in some arguments during games on what plays to call.

I know your a huge OSU fan so I am sure you really do know a lot more about how they do things than me lol. I'm just going off what Tom Herman said himself during a clinic.

I also remember OSU fans not like Herman as the OC either during their national championship season. It wasn't until they won it, that OSU people started to praise him. OSU fans are a lot like UK fans in basketball, in thinking everyone sucks if things dont go well right away lol.

I believe I said JT was bad this year.

That is a fact , as his on the field play has shown.

I also posted again just last night, that with a new OC, they can win with JT.

Are you all thankful now that he got hurt? Because you all surely kept telling me how OSU still would have won it with him. Completely discounting how he would have performed in championship type environments.

It's far fetched I know, but I don't think ND is going to open up their HC position this year. They could and honestly I wish they would because BK is a tool. But I don't see it happening. Urban and Chip are great friends and that can't be discounted. Urban has his assistants paid very well so I'm not saying it's going to happen by any means, but I'm not saying it won't either.

I don't think he will Coach this year. I dont think Urban would want a one year OC and then starting over again. He will take a year off like Urban did, visit campuses, etc. Then land a top job, which it probably will be Notre Dame that opens up next year.

Who knows maybe it happens this year. Chip goes to ND and JT Barrett uses his 5th year grad transfer to go to Notre Dame and beats OSU in the playoffs lol.

See now that is different than what Texas Tom Herman said during a coaching clinic Tom Herman spoke at that I was at. He talked about how involved Urban was and how it was kind of intimidating at first since Urban was always such a good offensive Coach. He even mentioned how they even would get in some arguments during games on what plays to call.

I know your a huge OSU fan so I am sure you really do know a lot more about how they do things than me lol. I'm just going off what Tom Herman said himself during a clinic.

I also remember OSU fans not like Herman as the OC either during their national championship season. It wasn't until they won it, that OSU people started to praise him. OSU fans are a lot like UK fans in basketball, in thinking everyone sucks if things do go well right away lol.

That's certainly different than what I had heard before. I've heard Urban talk numerous times over the past 2 years where the play calling has been questioned every week that he doesn't have any play calling duties during the game because he isn't as involved during the week. This is only the past 2 years though so I assumed it was the same way with Herman. Urban runs the special teams so he isn't as involved in the offensive meetings. I'm just going off what I've heard from press releases and reading OSU sites. I would say your information directly from Herman is more reliable than mine. Herman was questioned after the MSU game in '13 and VT in '14 game a lot, but people started to appreciate what he was able to do with JT probably more after he left and JT has regressed so much. The comparison of OSU fans and UK fans is perfect. I just happen to be a fan of both so I'm one of the most annoying fans in the world. Haha

I also remember OSU fans not like Herman as the OC either during their national championship season. It wasn't until they won it, that OSU people started to praise him. OSU fans are a lot like UK fans in basketball, in thinking everyone sucks if things do go well right away lol.

That's certainly different than what I had heard before. I've heard Urban talk numerous times over the past 2 years where the play calling has been questioned every week that he doesn't have any play calling duties during the game because he isn't as involved during the week. This is only the past 2 years though so I assumed it was the same way with Herman. Urban runs the special teams so he isn't as involved in the offensive meetings. I'm just going off what I've heard from press releases and reading OSU sites. I would say your information directly from Herman is more reliable than mine. Herman was questioned after the MSU game in '13 and VT in '14 game a lot, but people started to appreciate what he was able to do with JT probably more after he left and JT has regressed so much. The comparison of OSU fans and UK fans is perfect. I just happen to be a fan of both so I'm one of the most annoying fans in the world. Haha

I don't think he will Coach this year. I dont think Urban would want a one year OC and then starting over again. He will take a year off like Urban did, visit campuses, etc. Then land a top job, which it probably will be Notre Dame that opens up next year.

Who knows maybe it happens this year. Chip goes to ND and JT Barrett uses his 5th year grad transfer to go to Notre Dame and beats OSU in the playoffs lol.

Wouldn't that be something. JT would have his name completely blacked out of the OSU record books. Haha Texas is a much more likely transfer destination, but they have a ton of talent coming back. I'm not saying they are a playoff team, but Texas Tom will make things very interesting.

Haha I am a UK fan too. So you OSU fans make me realize why so many people hate us UK fans lol.

Wouldn't that be something. JT would have his name completely blacked out of the OSU record books. Haha Texas is a much more likely transfer destination, but they have a ton of talent coming back. I'm not saying they are a playoff team, but Texas Tom will make things very interesting.

Agreed Texas would be the most likely destination if he does transfer. Even though Texas did have a solid freshman qb this year. Which Tom may want to have continue to be the guy since he will only be a sophomore.

Agreed Texas would be the most likely destination if he does transfer. Even though Texas did have a solid freshman qb this year. Which Tom may want to have continue to be the guy since he will only be a sophomore.

Yeah I was talking to JA about that in the game thread last night and said if I were Tom it would be hard to sit Buchele after he played pretty well for a true freshmen this year, but the relationship and success with Barrett on top of the fact that Barrett wanted to be a Longhorn to begin with but they offered Tyrone Swoopes instead makes it a likely spot.