Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cincinnati Bengal 2017 Draft - Player Needs

Featured Replies

On offense I think we need to consider adding a traditional fullback in 2017. Our running game - and especially our short yardage running game - has suffered in recent years.

 

I also think we need help at Center and Tackle but admit there are more pressing needs.

 

With AJ Green out we will get a chance to see who else can play but I think we need to add a legit #2 WR to our WR group. Boyd and LaFell are okay but they look like number #3 WR's to me.

 

On special teams we have to have a new kicker in 2017 and with Pacman pretty much over the hill and with Alex Erickson the jury is still out so it would be real nice if we drafted a WR that also is a pro quality return guy.

 

On defense, pretty much everything. Outside of Carlos Dunlap we could dump them all the DEs and wouldn't miss any of them. Outside of Geno Atkins we could dump all the DTs and wouldn't miss any of them and we definitely either need to dump or demote Peko to Vet Minimum in 2017. With Billings set to come back next year I would go DE before I go DT in the draft.

 

At LB we are average at best. If Tez isn't suspended, hurt, or doing something stupid he is great which means he is great about half the time. Maualuga is done, he was done two or three years ago, he is either hurt, missing tackles in space, or looks stupid in pass coverage. Dansby is old and Rey is a backup. I think an argument can be made that our 1st round draft choice should be the best 3 down LB on the board.

 

I would draft another corner, Dennard needs to be consistent, Dre stinks in coverage, Pacman is over the hill, and Jackson is unproven and hurt.

 

Safety is a need too. Everything about our safeties screams average.

 

What about you, what do you think are the Bengals 2017 Draft needs?

This is probably another thread but as I look at this current Bengals team it has caused me to rethink how good their drafts have been the last few years. They have received high marks for their recent drafts but in reflection the players are not panning out as expected. Perhaps they need to do an evaluation of their drafting process.

If the Bengals continue on the stretch they are on then they'll have a top 10 pick. Reuben Foster all day. LB is the biggest need in my opinion. Follow that up with Pat Elflein the Center from Ohio State in the second or third round. Best center/interior lineman in the draft imo. Since interior lineman typically don't go until the second and third round I think he'll still be there. I can see them taking a receiver in the beginning of the 2nd round too. But I think I would rather them take another TE to compliment Eifert and with Eifert's injury history it wouldn't be a bad move either way.

Position Needs:

1. LB

2. Interior OL

3. TE

4. WR

5. DT

On offense I think we need to consider adding a traditional fullback in 2017. Our running game - and especially our short yardage running game - has suffered in recent years.

 

I also think we need help at Center and Tackle but admit there are more pressing needs.

 

With AJ Green out we will get a chance to see who else can play but I think we need to add a legit #2 WR to our WR group. Boyd and LaFell are okay but they look like number #3 WR's to me.

 

On special teams we have to have a new kicker in 2017 and with Pacman pretty much over the hill and with Alex Erickson the jury is still out so it would be real nice if we drafted a WR that also is a pro quality return guy.

 

On defense, pretty much everything. Outside of Carlos Dunlap we could dump them all the DEs and wouldn't miss any of them. Outside of Geno Atkins we could dump all the DTs and wouldn't miss any of them and we definitely either need to dump or demote Peko to Vet Minimum in 2017. With Billings set to come back next year I would go DE before I go DT in the draft.

 

At LB we are average at best. If Tez isn't suspended, hurt, or doing something stupid he is great which means he is great about half the time. Maualuga is done, he was done two or three years ago, he is either hurt, missing tackles in space, or looks stupid in pass coverage. Dansby is old and Rey is a backup. I think an argument can be made that our 1st round draft choice should be the best 3 down LB on the board.

 

I would draft another corner, Dennard needs to be consistent, Dre stinks in coverage, Pacman is over the hill, and Jackson is unproven and hurt.

 

Safety is a need too. Everything about our safeties screams average.

 

What about you, what do you think are the Bengals 2017 Draft needs?

 

You covered everything really well, be in the draft room next April. Throw in a new coaching staff and we're ready to go!!

On offense I think we need to consider adding a traditional fullback in 2017. Our running game - and especially our short yardage running game - has suffered in recent years.

 

I also think we need help at Center and Tackle but admit there are more pressing needs.

 

With AJ Green out we will get a chance to see who else can play but I think we need to add a legit #2 WR to our WR group. Boyd and LaFell are okay but they look like number #3 WR's to me.

 

On special teams we have to have a new kicker in 2017 and with Pacman pretty much over the hill and with Alex Erickson the jury is still out so it would be real nice if we drafted a WR that also is a pro quality return guy.

 

On defense, pretty much everything. Outside of Carlos Dunlap we could dump them all the DEs and wouldn't miss any of them. Outside of Geno Atkins we could dump all the DTs and wouldn't miss any of them and we definitely either need to dump or demote Peko to Vet Minimum in 2017. With Billings set to come back next year I would go DE before I go DT in the draft.

 

At LB we are average at best. If Tez isn't suspended, hurt, or doing something stupid he is great which means he is great about half the time. Maualuga is done, he was done two or three years ago, he is either hurt, missing tackles in space, or looks stupid in pass coverage. Dansby is old and Rey is a backup. I think an argument can be made that our 1st round draft choice should be the best 3 down LB on the board.

 

I would draft another corner, Dennard needs to be consistent, Dre stinks in coverage, Pacman is over the hill, and Jackson is unproven and hurt.

 

Safety is a need too. Everything about our safeties screams average.

 

What about you, what do you think are the Bengals 2017 Draft needs?

 

If the Bengals continue on the stretch they are on then they'll have a top 10 pick. Reuben Foster all day. LB is the biggest need in my opinion. Follow that up with Pat Elflein the Center from Ohio State in the second or third round. Best center/interior lineman in the draft imo. Since interior lineman typically don't go until the second and third round I think he'll still be there. I can see them taking a receiver in the beginning of the 2nd round too. But I think I would rather them take another TE to compliment Eifert and with Eifert's injury history it wouldn't be a bad move either way.

Position Needs:

1. LB

2. Interior OL

3. TE

4. WR

5. DT

 

I value getting a good DE opposite of Dunlap more than a linebacker. If we get a new coaching staff, it may change. However with the current staff and even with Zimmer we didn't have to have studs at LB to be at top 10 defense with how we play. With how they like to play they need a good DL.

 

So with the current coaches I say DE is a much bigger need than LB. Now with new coaches and new schemes my opinion could change. Plus I mentioned this in another thread, but Deron Smith needs to start full time over Shawn Williams. Deron Smith is more of a play making Ball hawk we need. Shawn Williams doesn't even come close to stopping that goal line pass the other day, while Smith almost had a pick 6. He needs more opportunities

 

Center, guards, and DE is biggest needs to me. Followed by wr and more depth at the DT spot after Billings.

I value getting a good DE opposite of Dunlap more than a linebacker. If we get a new coaching staff, it may change. However with the current staff and even with Zimmer we didn't have to have studs at LB to be at top 10 defense with how we play. With how they like to play they need a good DL.

 

So with the current coaches I say DE is a much bigger need than LB. Now with new coaches and new schemes my opinion could change. Plus I mentioned this in another thread, but Deron Smith needs to start full time over Shawn Williams. Deron Smith is more of a play making Ball hawk we need. Shawn Williams doesn't even come close to stopping that goal line pass the other day, while Smith almost had a pick 6. He needs more opportunities

 

Center, guards, and DE is biggest needs to me. Followed by wr and more depth at the DT spot after Billings.

If you like DE then I'm thinking no matter where we draft Garrett and Allen will be off the board by then. So I'm looking at Malik McDowell from Michigan State or Derek Barnett from Tennessee. I'm not super thrilled with either of those picks.

If you like DE then I'm thinking no matter where we draft Garrett and Allen will be off the board by then. So I'm looking at Malik McDowell from Michigan State or Derek Barnett from Tennessee. I'm not super thrilled with either of those picks.

 

True but a lot of things can change until then. Players move up and down the closer we get. And shoot at this rate we may have a top 5 pick. Or maybe this team does what they did in 2014 and the running game takes off and they go on a run pushing our draft spot back.

 

Just with the current way we play defense, linebacker is not the biggest need imo. Them moving Burfict to middle was a great move and the defense has slowly started moving up the rankings since the start of the year and been much better the last 2 weeks. Plus I am high on the lb we drafted this year in Vigil. The Bengals play so much nickel packages we usually only have 2 lbs on the field at once. So with the current coaches DE is more of a need imo. If we get new coaches, then that all could change.

Maybe we can lose enough down the stretch to get Jonathan Allen from Alabama!!
I don't think we're losing more games than Cleveland, SF, or Chicago. Allen is a top 3 pick.

I'm not a huge fan of any of the D lineman around where the Bengals would be drafting. I agree that's a glaring weakness, but we aren't getting Myles Garrett or Jonathan Allen. The top 10 is way too high to draft an interior lineman, so would we address another big issue at safety? If so Malik Hooker from Ohio State will probably grade out around where the Bengals would be drafting. As much as it pains me to say it, maybe Peppers too. Do we take another corner in the 1st round? I feel like that is a cop out. I still like the idea of a linebacker because as great as Vontaze is, you just can't rely on him at all. Outside of Tez we have nothing. Vinny Rey is a special teams player playing linebacker, Maualuaga has never lived up to the potential I thought he would achieve coming out of college (I even bought a Maualuaga jersey, haha) I'm also of the opinion that we can get a second, first rounder for AJ McCarron. If so that changes everything.

Maybe we can lose enough down the stretch to get Jonathan Allen from Alabama!!

 

He'll be a Jag... I hope

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.