October 28, 20169 yr I'd also just like to take a moment to express how stupid it is that home field is decided by an frickin all star game. It is AMAZING to me that MLB has kept this crazy rule in place this many years. I cannot believe players, managers, GM's etc. have not tried to stop this non-sense...
October 28, 20169 yr He will not play in the field in Wrigley It's a shame, but probably for the best. Who knows, watch him hit a walkoff PH HR in game 5.
October 28, 20169 yr So he is cleared to swing a bat and run around the bases, but he cant play in the field? Doesnt make sense to me.
October 28, 20169 yr So he is cleared to swing a bat and run around the bases, but he cant play in the field? Doesnt make sense to me.Hitting and running the bases is mostly anticipated movements. Playing the field is reaction movements. Plus a greater risk of contact. He tore it by running into Fowler trying to field a ball.
October 28, 20169 yr Hitting and running the bases is mostly anticipated movements. Playing the field is reaction movements. Plus a greater risk of contact. He tore it by running into Fowler trying to field a ball. It still planting and twisting is it not?
October 28, 20169 yr Author Seriously, going forward,what do the Cubs do with this guy? I can't imagine him ever catching another game, especially with Contreras on the roster. They can't move him to first, with Rizzo there. The outfield is crowded with Fowler, Heyward, Soler and Coughlin. Schwarber is classic trade bait, but they control him for at least four more years, and is a fan favorite. If you're Theo, what do you do?
October 28, 20169 yr Seriously, going forward,what do the Cubs do with this guy? I can't imagine him ever catching another game, especially with Contreras on the roster. They can't move him to first, with Rizzo there. The outfield is crowded with Fowler, Heyward, Soler and Coughlin. Schwarber is classic trade bait, but they control him for at least four more years, and is a fan favorite. If you're Theo, what do you do? Nice problem to have but I'd be STUNNED to see him traded. My guess is he's in LF and will catch occasionally.
October 28, 20169 yr Seriously, going forward,what do the Cubs do with this guy? I can't imagine him ever catching another game, especially with Contreras on the roster. They can't move him to first, with Rizzo there. The outfield is crowded with Fowler, Heyward, Soler and Coughlin. Schwarber is classic trade bait, but they control him for at least four more years, and is a fan favorite. If you're Theo, what do you do? Move him to left and platoon with Zobrist. Zobrist will be 36 next year I believe and can play all over the field, I would use him in a platoon/super utility role to make sure he is still getting some play. I suspect they will work hard this offseason trying to get Heyward right. His swing is a mess right now and mechanically it is falling apart. Also, I think a lot of Heywards issues are mental at this point so I can see the Cubs spending the off season tearing down his swing and building it back up. If this happens he should be in right.....unless they cannot bring Fowler back in which he could move to Center. In this scenario you could have Schwarber, Zobrist, and Soler battling for the corner outfield spots. You also have Almora Jr. who may also factor in somehow. At the end of the day if you have a bat like Schwarber you are going to find a spot for him to play.
October 28, 20169 yr I suspect Contreras and Schwarber will both play catcher and left field depending on who is pitching. Keeps both bats in the lineup and gives their knees a break regularly.
October 28, 20169 yr Zobrist will be the guy who basically gives every position but catcher and pitcher some days off next year. When SS or CF needs a day off he'll play 2nd or a or corner spot so those guys can slide over to SS and CF.
October 28, 20169 yr Seriously, going forward,what do the Cubs do with this guy? I can't imagine him ever catching another game, especially with Contreras on the roster. They can't move him to first, with Rizzo there. The outfield is crowded with Fowler, Heyward, Soler and Coughlin. Schwarber is classic trade bait, but they control him for at least four more years, and is a fan favorite. If you're Theo, what do you do? You're nuts if you think he's trade bait. No way they trade him.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.