Class 2A Notebook 10/25- Breaking Down The Contenders

ATLCat

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They weren't in the same backfield much that game.

Again, Barnes is D1. Abernathy is great. Mayfield will beat them by 17 and De Sales or CAL would hold them to under 200 yards of offense. HC can do the read option with those guys, but they are not running a true read option game. They are running a Wildcat game. If you can't throw, without Belfry's line, you won't win. They don't need to throw for 150 a game, but at least 85 to 100. If they are down by 14, they are in trouble.

I'm a big fan of Barnes and Abernathy, but I agree 100% with @mexitucky, this is the West's to lose.

Add Barnes & Abernathy from Holy Cross and some of the NewCath standouts to Danville....and I really like this combined squads chances against the West representative.

That being said, my heart is always with the Breds.

Great article! I believe LCA will win the East because they have so many weapons on offense. The champion will come out of the West because all the top teams in the West has great defenses. LCA and Danville can score but I don't think they have a good enough defense to match up against the top schools in the West.

Soooo... if Holy Cross puts both Barnes and Abernathy at QB and HB, what happens when NewCath brings more defenders than Holy Cross's line can block?

Can either of them throw the football?

Barnes is officially 1 for 1 for 0 yards per the KHSAA.

The two back look definitely makes them more dangerous as a wrinkle... but with a team as well coached as NewCath I can't see them using that formation exclusively when there is zero threat of a pass.

If CHC wants to use this as their go to formation I would strongly consider throwing as many passes as possible the next couple weeks so NewCath sees it on film and has to prepare for it and honor it.

I got to smile to myself. In the past, HC has been accused of being too predictable this time of year. This kind of guessing is exactly what their coaching wants to create. It's good that the Indians have the studs this year to break out something new this late and be successful with it. BTW, they are several other good players on offense. Barnes and Abernathy get the press and majority of the work.

Jaylin Williams is very good at WR for Holy Cross. They need to find a way to get him the ball more. On a team with a better passing offense, he would be getting a lot more talk.

If he can get behind the defense in the first series, and the ball goes 30+ yards in the air, it would do a world of good for them. They don't even need to complete the pass. They only need to show that they can get behind the defense. That pass will burn into the memory of the secondary and they will be much slower to support the run.

One team does not a schedule make. Of the teams listed Calpreps has OCath with the third weakest strength of schedule behind only Holy Cross and Glasgow. Those two actually have a negative rating for their SOS.. OCath has a 0.1 rating for schedule strength

Finally looked at MAXpreps. There are two teams Catholic beat Owensboro, and Daviess Co that are ranked higher then Owensboro Catholic. That's odd.

Glasgow is a team that intrigues me... I like there chances if they can come together.. They could have a run but it will be a tough road with the likes of Desales, then a CAL, then. Mayfield... That my friend is a gauntlet to run to make a title apperance..

Not to look past the opening round game, but Glasgow makes me nervous in the second round. The coaches will have to do their best to keep a group of teenagers from looking ahead to a rematch with CAL.