Beechwood 40 Covington Holy Cross 33

theguru

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was referring to the one that beechwood got to kneel it after?

I think that was Justice as well. Holy Cross defender had him for no gain or a very short gain, and failed to bring him down, resulting in the 1st down and sealing it for the Tigers. That was one of many of the tackles Beechwood was able to escape from on the evening, but you have to credit those BW players for fighting until they are brought down.

Very solid win for Beechwood. I thought tonight was probably the best chance for Holy Cross to win since they began playing each other. Going forward after tonight, I wouldn't do anything but hand off to Barnes and Abernathy going forward offensively if I'm Holy Cross. Congratulations to the Tigers.

There is no need for my big game recap. The box score and play by play are posted by nkypete above. Good job.

I will talk about big plays in the game.

On their first possession of the second quarter, Beechwood had 4th and 4 at the Holy Cross 41. Beechwood went for it and Burch hit Justice for a 41 yard TD pass. That gave Beechwood a 13-6 lead.

With about 5 minutes left in the half, Holy Cross ran a fake punt from their own 15 yard line and BW tackled him short of the first down. Three plays later Beechwood scored a TD to go ahead 27-13.

Just over two minutes to go in the first half, Beechwood has Holy Cross backed up at their own 11 yard line and Barnes runs 89 yards for a TD to make it 27-19.

On Beechwood's first offensive play after the 89 yard TD run, Beechwood responds with a 64 yard TD pass from Burch to Castleman. With 1:54 in the half BW was up 34-19.

Incredibly, in that last 2 minutes, Holy Cross went 3 and out and Beechwood almost scored another TD following a long pass play. BW missed a 35 yard field goal try on the last play of the half.

On their first possession of the second half, Beechwood tried a fake punt and was stopped short at the 40. A few plays later, Abernathy scored on a 38 yard run. That made it a one score game with 7:53 left in the 3rd quarter, 34-26.

Beechwood went to running the ball to shorten the game and reduce possessions. Beechwood's defense limited Holy Cross to 1 1st down in their three possessions after the Abernathy TD.

With 8:10 to go in the game, Justice broke a couple tackles and made an excellent 18 yard TD run that put Beechwood up 40-26.

Beechwod forced Holy Cross to go 3 and out and punt with 6:30 to go. The Tigers looked like they were going to put this one away until there was a fumble, recovery by Holy Cross. This fumble recovery led to the last Holy Cross TD with 2:12 to go - 40-33.

Jaylin Williams had one of the best catches I have seen in high school football.

Forgot all about this catch, I would agree 100%, one hell of an effort over the shoulder. How did he stay in bounds, he had to be REALLY close!......I was on the other side of the field.

It was a fun game to watch a lot of big plays! Holy cross struggled with guarding justice and castleman. But beechwood also struggled stopping Xavier and derrick Barnes. It was a great game and a way higher score than I thought it would be.

I agree. I did not think Holy Cross would be able to run the ball on Beechwood the way they did. Williams also had a very good game for Holy Cross. And for Beechwood we have to mention 315 yards passing for Brayden Burch.

I agree. I did not think Holy Cross would be able to run the ball on Beechwood the way they did. Williams also had a very good game for Holy Cross. And for Beechwood we have to mention 315 yards passing for Brayden Burch.

Yes I was surprised how accurate he was he threw a lot of great passes