Holy Mol(e)y

HammerTime

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get them every time with the spring loaded traps. Make sure you smash the tunnel down under the trap with your foot. Guarantee you will get him. You may miss once or twice but you will get him. Normally when I miss I didn't smash the tunnel down enough.

Will it not go deep enough into his tunnel if you don't smash the tunnel down? He seems to love it along the side of the foundation. Not sure if I can get close enough with a trap.

Will it not go deep enough into his tunnel if you don't smash the tunnel down? He seems to love it along the side of the foundation. Not sure if I can get close enough with a trap.

What i've found is if you don't smash the tunnel they will get under it. Plus if they don't have to push the dirt back up it sometimes won't trip the trap. I'm not saying you can't get them without smashing the tunnel but works 100x better if you do.

I have used the spring loaded traps before and had some success, but for me a a pointed long-handled shovel works best. Push down their runs with your foot to see where they are working and then you just need to check those areas to see when they start opening them back up. The ground will move up and down when they are moving through and you just jam the business end of the shovel on top of the movement really hard. I seldom miss and you get a weird sense of satisfaction for your success. The key is going out and checking for them being active as often as you can. They can be active any time of day. Also, moles are generally solitary creatures, so if you get him, there is probably no more in the area. Good luck, I hate them too.

I have a mole that is just destroying my yard right now. I don't have any pets so is there some kind of poison I can put in his tunnels to kill the little booger?

On a side note, get rid of your grubs. Treat your yard for them. Yes you have them. Remove the food source and the moles go away.

On second thought, if they are traveling next to the house they may be eating termites? Not sure if they are in their diet but they are eating something.