Apple Mac Question

Bengal Maniac

I have a mid 2010 MacPro 13" with a 250GB hard drive. Had it into the Apple Store tonight and long story short, the hard drive is done. Since it is over 5 years old, it is considered vintage and they have compatible stores that repair vintage Macs.

The Genius lady told me it would be about $200 to replace it, was her guess. I have backed everything up before the crash, so I am thinking just replace the hard drive. The computer does what I want and has been great. Will the new hard drive generally do the trick or should I just bust out $1500 and get a new one? What else could go wrong that costs bucks. I really know nothing in this arena.

I'm thinking if I get a couple of years out of the new hard drive, it will be worth the $200-$300 if nothing else major happens. Again, my major concern is I fix this, another thing happens, on and on and over two years I invest another 1000-1500 and Bingo I hold have bought a new one.

I don't have the CD's. Another alternative to those?

Not sure about that one. You may be able to download them from Apple, for a fee. I'd send you a copy of mine, but I don't have a pro and it's circa 2009. Not being an Apple aficionado, I don't know whether the setup disks are tied to the motherboard.

I would think that if you can replace the hard drive that odds are the computer will be fine. I have an Apple iMac that I purchased in late 2007 and have never had any issue (other than immediately replacing the apple mouse that came with it. I hate the apple mouse).

If you do decide to get a new one, I would wait until the spring as I'm pretty sure the current macbook pro is due for an update. With that said I think you'll be fine just replacing the hard drive, I would honestly go the $200 route just because if they mess up its on them, if you mess up its on you and you're out left without a computer.

If you do decide to get a new one, I would wait until the spring as I'm pretty sure the current macbook pro is due for an update. With that said I think you'll be fine just replacing the hard drive, I would honestly go the $200 route just because if they mess up its on them, if you mess up its on you and you're out left without a computer.
Agree. I'd pay for convenience.

If you have kept your 2010 MacPro 13 Mid-2010 up to date on firmware, you should be able to use Internet Recovery to reload OSX. many articles on the web such as this one ..... How to start up your Mac in Internet Recovery Mode

I have no idea what firmware is. Thanks for the article. The lady at the genius bar did some of this with the globes, but not sure it was recovery. She was looking for hard drive status.

I have no idea what firmware is. Thanks for the article. The lady at the genius bar did some of this with the globes, but not sure it was recovery. She was looking for hard drive status.

Firmware is the basic input/output operating system (BIOS) that gets the computer started, configures the hardware, and initializes the loading of the disk operating system from the hard drive.

The lady at the genius store was playing with her globes????