Belfry @ Knoxville Catholic (TN) Predictions

ATLCat

Who wins this matchup?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this matchup?

Big time matchup!

Knoxville Catholic is the defending Tennessee 4A State Champs and have been destroying everything in their path this year. They come in averaging 56 points per game and have something like 6 or 7 players with a FCS or FBS Offer including two All Americans in 4* WR Amari Rodgers (Clemson Commit) and Junior 5* OL Cade Mays (Tennessee Commit).

Belfry is no slouch of their own though and has had four consecutive running clock victories with three of those coming in the First Half.

Belfry beat the Irish at CAM Stadium last year 38-14

All told there will be 10-11 players with Division 1 Offers and Over 20 with some form of college football offer taking the field.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not ready to make a prediction yet, but these type of games are great and I am sure Haywood will have them ready. First time the Pirates will face a team this year that can literally run with them. I am not talking about the rushing game, but the overall quickness and team speed.

They likely will be. This is a team that turned it on strong late in 2015 and have come out in 2016 on absolute fire.

Belfry kind of shell shocked them last year. They came into that game 2-3 and struggling defensively. The Irish made the long trek to Pond Creek and then the Pirates had them on their heels with the style of play. They only play against spread teams and were not ready for the type of football that Belfry plays. The Pirates had a decided advantage in the trenches and beat them 38-14.

The Fighting Irish have not lost since.

They reeled off 9 in a row to win the 2015 4A championship in convincing fashion, then they have started off 2016 with 4 straight wins, including absolute blowout wins against the other 3 teams that beat them last season.

2015 LOSSES: Christ Presbyterian 38-10, Knoxville Central 28-10 and Fulton 34-23

2016 WINS: Christ Presbyterian 45-0, Knoxville Central 49-19 and Fulton 69-42

Now Belfry has the travel this time around and Knoxville Catholic is playing lights out. They have the benefit of the exprience against us from last season, and that will help them prepare, and the kids will know what to expect. Knoxville Catholic has to be a favorite in this game, but it is shaping up to be a really good football game.

I am really excited for this one!

Take what you want from Calpreps/Maxpreps but they have this as the #78 and #87 teams in the country playing each other!

I can't help but think the storyline here is going to be about Defensive Lines and Wide Receivers.

In last year's game KnoxCath had a ton of confidence (or maybe overlooking Belfry) and actually tried to block Belfry's stud DT's 1 on 1. Horton absolutely ate Catholic alive and outside of maybe one long carry I am fairly sure Belfry held KnoxCath to negative rushing yards. Belfry also created a ton of pressure on the QB and made errant throws for key Third Down stops. The flip side KnoxCath's DLine seemed lost against Belfry and nearly every tackle was being made by a LB or someone in the secondary. I don't expect Catholic to be caught off guard and unprepared this year, but if their DLine can't compete at the LOS I still am not sure if they can go 12 rounds with those Belfry monsters.

Bowling Green, Male, Trinity, etc.... bold statement but there is noone in the State of Kentucky with as talented of a set of receivers as what Belfry is facing Friday. Three receiving options with D-1 offers and a fourth will come probably next Summer as he is a Junior. The Rodgers kid is a truly special talent. They have a mix of size, speed, strength, ball skills, and height that makes them impossible to prepare for.

Belfry will have their hands full for sure. For those that haven't seen him play Belfry has a special talent at CB in #3 Devin Varney. He is a lockdown corner and one of the best in Kentucky, but drawing one of these guys is a different story. Woolum and Catron both are very good secondary players and will hold their own, but my concern comes at the other Safety spot and the Nickel spot. Regular starter Justin Adkins is injured and Hunter has had some issues timing jump balls as the Nickel.

I also think Belfry's SE's will be a key point to watch. After seeing how Belfry gashed them in the middle last year I expect KnoxCath to load the box. I also think they play the QB hard on the option and will rely on their speed to take their chances with the pitch man. Belfry's SE's have been utterly superb at blocking the option this year. They will need to continue that this week. If they can get critical blocks and Corbett can time the pitch I think they can produce some large chunks and if Catron gets in the open field he has turned into a downright dangerous back.

It doesn't matter, but if Belfry wins on Friday night, can they legitimately be considered the best team in Kentucky, regardless of class?

For what it's worth, Calpreps projects Belfry will win by 1 point. Trinity would win a hypothetical matchup with Knoxville Catholic by 7, Bowling Green would lose by 4, and Male would lose by 18. Obviously those are computer generated numbers, but it is something interesting to consider.

It doesn't matter, but if Belfry wins on Friday night, can they legitimately be considered the best team in Kentucky, regardless of class?

For what it's worth, Calpreps projects Belfry will win by 1 point. Trinity would win a hypothetical matchup with Knoxville Catholic by 7, Bowling Green would lose by 4, and Male would lose by 18. Obviously those are computer generated numbers, but it is something interesting to consider.

Not yet... Knoxville Catholic is an excellent team but this isn't a Catholic school with 1100 male students and a 99 man roster like a Trinity is.

KnoxCath has an enrollment similar to Belfry and like a 55 man roster (Sophomores-Seniors). Think of handpicking the best 10 or so of the Top 15-20 individual talents in Lexington and sticking them on DeSales.

Personally I think both Belfry and KnoxCath are a bit exaggerated by Calpreps just due to the starting value they both had from winning State Titles last year and returning most of their team. Do I think they are Top 100 in the Country? Probably not.. Top 250-300? Yeah I might sign off on that.

If Belfry beats KnoxCath by a similar score as last year (which I definitely do not expect) I do think it builds a story and a case for Belfry to be mentioned in that company potentially.. but otherwise I would expect Male, Trinity, or BG to beat KnoxCath largely due to an advantage in depth.