Shelby County Charles Hurt

I played against him once. He was a couple years out of college. A bunch of UK grads traveled around playing smaller college teams in our preseason. Both Charles Hurt and Derrick Hord could still play. They were physical specimens. Hurt was really an impressive athlete. Really quick of the floor and once he touched the ball you were not getting it. He really played the game hard. You did not want him to set a pick on you.

I used to have a picture with him after the game. Seemed like a heck of a nice guy.

Sad to hear this news.

I remember his muscular body in his UK uniform. I was at a game at Rupp when they were playing Auburn and other teammates had to separate him and Charles Barkley after a hard play. He was a competitor.

From all reports a great guy, too.

And his military service is appreciated!

I knew him a little bit at UK, seemed like a good guy and was obviously a fierce competitor. To Holmes fans he was the hurdle that separated them from the 1978 state championship, first by sinking a turnaround jump shot that rattled in as time expired to tie the game in regulation (basically the Christian Laettner play 13 years before 1992) then in overtime he had perhaps the most famous/infamous block in sweet sixteen history when he swatted Doug Schloemer's finger roll away ... With his hand in the cylinder! No call, Shelby County wins by two, Charles becomes a legend at Shelby County AND Covington.

He was also part of what I recall being the first "number 1 rated recruiting class"... They may have existed before then, but 1979 was the first time I ever saw that term applied to the UK class that included Charles, Dirk Minnifield, Derrick Hord, Sam Bowie and, I think, Tom Heitz.