Alabama/Florida State in 2017

UK#1fanisback

I know schools make a lot of money off of the neutral site games. I think I heard Tennessee and VT each made about 4 million from the game at Bristol. But I would much rather see schools start scheduling more home and home out of conference games. Or at least see schools travel out of their comfort zone like LSU going to Lambeau where it is technically a neutral site game, but lets be honest it was a home game for Wisconsin. If you think I'm taking a shot at the SEC and specifically Alabama, its because I am. Besides LSU this year, SEC schools NEVER travel out of conference to either a neutral site game where the opposing team is closer or travel to an out of conference team's home stadium. How cool would it be to see Alabama play at Nebraska, at Notre Dame, at Michigan, at Ohio State, at Clemson. Then turn around the next year and that same team is coming to Tuscaloosa. I heard on ESPN radio today that on average in the last 6 years the neutral site game Alabama has started the season with, they are 400 miles closer than the opposing team. How "neutral" is that? A neutral site game for Bama and USC would be like Mile High stadium in Denver. Its a true neutral site and helps spread the brands of Bama and USC to an area of the country that is pretty bare when it comes to college football (sorry Colorado fans) Sorry for the rant.

I know schools make a lot of money off of the neutral site games. I think I heard Tennessee and VT each made about 4 million from the game at Bristol. But I would much rather see schools start scheduling more home and home out of conference games. Or at least see schools travel out of their comfort zone like LSU going to Lambeau where it is technically a neutral site game, but lets be honest it was a home game for Wisconsin. If you think I'm taking a shot at the SEC and specifically Alabama, its because I am. Besides LSU this year, SEC schools NEVER travel out of conference to either a neutral site game where the opposing team is closer or travel to an out of conference team's home stadium. How cool would it be to see Alabama play at Nebraska, at Notre Dame, at Michigan, at Ohio State, at Clemson. Then turn around the next year and that same team is coming to Tuscaloosa. I heard on ESPN radio today that on average in the last 6 years the neutral site game Alabama has started the season with, they are 400 miles closer than the opposing team. How "neutral" is that? A neutral site game for Bama and USC would be like Mile High stadium in Denver. Its a true neutral site and helps spread the brands of Bama and USC to an area of the country that is pretty bare when it comes to college football (sorry Colorado fans) Sorry for the rant.

It'd be great to see Tennessee at Oklahoma (2014) or Tennessee at Oregon (2013). How about Arkansas at TCU (last weekend), Mississippi State at UMass (Sept. 24th), or Mississippi State at BYU (Oct. 15th). Ole Miss did play FSU in Orlando. Tallahassee is a bit closer to that city than Oxford. Didn't Ole Miss lose at Memphis, last season?

Sorry, I understand you are picking on Alabama, but the bolded blanket statement is a little inaccurate.

If you want to gripe about somebody's OOC schedule, why not jump on Florida. The Gators have not played an OOC regular season game outside of Florida in 25 years. In fact, with the exception of FSU, they have only played 2 OOC regular season road games during that stretch, both loses at Miami. The only reason they play at FSU every other year is because they have to. If it were up to Florida, they'd replace the rivalry game with another home "tune-up".

The quick and simple answer is that the SEC, Bama, etc., (or most power-conference teams for that matter) have not historically scheduled home and homes because they have not needed to in order to win the ultimate prize. To argue that point is silly. You only stand to lose. Kudos to teams venturing out of late to the degree they have, but I assume it is the name of money.

It'd be great to see Tennessee at Oklahoma (2014) or Tennessee at Oregon (2013). How about Arkansas at TCU (last weekend), Mississippi State at UMass (Sept. 24th), or Mississippi State at BYU (Oct. 15th). Ole Miss did play FSU in Orlando. Tallahassee is a bit closer to that city than Oxford. Didn't Ole Miss lose at Memphis, last season?

Sorry, I understand you are picking on Alabama, but the bolded blanket statement is a little inaccurate.

If you want to gripe about somebody's OOC schedule, why not jump on Florida. The Gators have not played an OOC regular season game outside of Florida in 25 years. In fact, with the exception of FSU, they have only played 2 OOC regular season road games during that stretch, both loses at Miami. The only reason they play at FSU every other year is because they have to. If it were up to Florida, they'd replace the rivalry game with another home "tune-up".

I certainly commend those schools for traveling and playing schools outside of their comfort zone. That really is a good point about Florida. But I think the thing I would much rather see is a lot more home and home series? When is the last time Bama scheduled a home and home OOC? The neutral site games are garbage imo. Quit being scared to play somebody at their place.

I certainly commend those schools for traveling and playing schools outside of their comfort zone. That really is a good point about Florida. But I think the thing I would much rather see is a lot more home and home series? When is the last time Bama scheduled a home and home OOC? The neutral site games are garbage imo. Quit being scared to play somebody at their place.

No, as a (anti) fan they are garbage. They have also won 4 national titles the past 7 seasons so I think they are on to something.

The quick and simple answer is that the SEC, Bama, etc., (or most power-conference teams for that matter) have not historically scheduled home and homes because they have not needed to in order to win the ultimate prize. To argue that point is silly. You only stand to lose. Kudos to teams venturing out of late to the degree they have, but I assume it is the name of money.

I'll mention Ohio State because they are my team, but it doesn't hurt you losing early in the season OOC. That loss put OSU behind the 8 ball certainly, but that experience proved invaluable. But OSU is playing Oklahoma out of conference, VT the last 2 years, Cal and Miami in the 4 years before that (when they scheduled these games they had no way to know that Cal and Miami wouldn't be great anymore when they played), then USC and Texas.