Alabama/Florida State in 2017

UK#1fanisback

No, as a (anti) fan they are garbage. They have also won 4 national titles the past 7 seasons so I think they are on to something.

I'm not saying that Bama wouldn't win those games anyways, I just like watching true road games in hostile environments.

Yeah, be rich as Croesus and have better players and coaches than everyone else.

Well, yeah. Not try and be "battle tested" by scheduling a home and home with whomever.

The argument that X school should play a tougher schedule would hold more water if the Selection Committee made it a requirement to play at least one road game against another BCS foe each season to be in consideration for the title.

I'm not saying that Bama wouldn't win those games anyways, I just like watching true road games in hostile environments.

Me too. But you are looking at it from a fan perspective. The system in place has made it clear that schools do not need to be OOC battle tested, especially for an SEC school, to get an invite to the big show. So other than for fan appeasement, it serves no purpose.

I'll mention Ohio State because they are my team, but it doesn't hurt you losing early in the season OOC. That loss put OSU behind the 8 ball certainly, but that experience proved invaluable. But OSU is playing Oklahoma out of conference, VT the last 2 years, Cal and Miami in the 4 years before that (when they scheduled these games they had no way to know that Cal and Miami wouldn't be great anymore when they played), then USC and Texas.
It hurts you because the margin of error is that much smaller.

I'll mention Ohio State because they are my team, but it doesn't hurt you losing early in the season OOC. That loss put OSU behind the 8 ball certainly, but that experience proved invaluable. But OSU is playing Oklahoma out of conference, VT the last 2 years, Cal and Miami in the 4 years before that (when they scheduled these games they had no way to know that Cal and Miami wouldn't be great anymore when they played), then USC and Texas.

How many bowl games are not at neutral sites? Crying about this is beyond tired. Bama playing these games at a large neutral venue is way more beneficial than playing home and home. Same reason UK does it in basketball.

How many bowl games are not at neutral sites? Crying about this is beyond tired. Bama playing these games at a large neutral venue is way more beneficial than playing home and home. Same reason UK does it in basketball.
They don't do it for the experience I can GUARANTEE you that. They do it for the money.

No you said they did it because they were scared to play at someone else's place.

They are scared to play at someone else's place, but for the life of me I can't figure out why. You are going to have to go on the road when it matters most (in conference) why not start out on the road against a good team when the stakes aren't quite as high? But if you look back I said the money for those neutral site games is huge and that is what makes it easy to say we'll play you at ATT Stadium in some bogus neutral site game as opposed to going into a hostile environment. It's great for the schools, but from the fans perspective it kind of sucks. Losing one OOC game doesn't hurt you, especially on the road. I think Bama would get more experience going on the road OOC whether they lose or not in order to prepare them to go into Death Valley or The Swamp. The conference is what matters, let's say Bama goes out to USC and loses (they wouldn't but for the sake of argument they do), that would put them in a much better position than they were the last 2 years after losing to Ole Miss. The way teams schedule everybody has 3 OOC games 2 cupcakes and another power 5 school. You lose the power 5 game but win out in your conference, you're in, no discussion. Look back 2 years ago when Ohio State lost to VT out of conference, but Baylor and TCU tied for the Big 12 champ and both were left out because they didn't sweep their conference. My point is you aren't taking a big risk, especially if you are Alabama, by going on the road into a hostile environment for your major OOC game. You lose, you likely lost to another top 25 team on the road to begin the season. At the end of the year the committee isn't going to even consider that game if you go undefeated in conference. I believe a team would benefit much more from that game than from a glorified home game.