Bluegrasspreps' Class 1A Rankings - Discussion (9/12)

Ram

Class 1A

1. Russellville at 2A Todd County Central

2. Beechwood at 5A #3 Covington Catholic

3. Paintsville at Williamsburg

4. Raceland vs. Lucasville- Valley (OH)

5. Pikeville vs. 3A #1 Belfry

6. Nicholas County vs. 3A West Carter

7. Hazard vs. 2A Prestonsburg

8. Fairview at 4A East Carter

9. Kentucky Country Day vs. Bethlehem

10. Holy Cross (Louisville) vs. 4A Western

Does Russellville deserve the top spot? Is Beechwood the real number one? Does Hazard deserve to be where they are? Who will decide the three and four spot for they district championship? Who will be out of the Top 10 after this week? Who deserves to move in?

Does Russellville deserve the top spot? Is Beechwood the real number one? Does Hazard deserve to be where they are? Who will decide the three and four spot for they district championship? Who will be out of the Top 10 after this week? Who deserves to move in?

I think hazard at 6 is about right. I think down to 7 is too far. But Nicholas can prove they belong if they beat a good west carter team...

I know people will take exception to this statement, but IMHO this is the weakest I have seen Class 1A since the six class expansion.

I think there are 7 quality teams this year, but not a single one do I look at and think "Man those guys could take on anyone and win"

Last year I thought 1A had three REALLY good teams in Paintsville, Pikeville, and Beechwood, but I am not sure any of the 2016 edition would be favored straight up against those squads. I just don't see a team like those old Mayfield squads or even the Williamsburg teams from a few years ago even. Furthermore, after those top 7 teams the drop off is vast and I think you quickly go from "quality" to "below average".

The good news is I think this class is pretty wide open and at the least should be entertaining.

I am not sold on Russellville being the best team especially after seeing Butler County lose to Apollo. I am leaning more toward Beechwood or Paintsville right now.

I am not sold on Russellville being the best team especially after seeing Butler County lose to Apollo. I am leaning more toward Beechwood or Paintsville right now.

I'd have to agree with this at this point even thought I am pulling for Russellville. There is something that tells me that when/if they TRAVEL TO Beechwood that their potential achilles heel (pass defense/pass offense) will get exposed. Between now and then they really only play Franklin Simpson in the challenging category.

But like you said, should be fun to watch!

I'd have to agree with this at this point even thought I am pulling for Russellville. There is something that tells me that when/if they TRAVEL TO Beechwood that their potential achilles heel (pass defense/pass offense) will get exposed. Between now and then they really only play Franklin Simpson in the challenging category.

But like you said, should be fun to watch!

Russellville does have a fairly week schedule....

I would probably have to agree that this is the weakest 1A class from top to bottom since the new alignment. WITH THAT SAID, its likely the most compeitive. For what it's worth, my top 5 would be

1. Paintsville (to be the man u gotta beat the man and they beat the man like a drum)

2. Russellville (havent done anything earth shattering, they have done what they should

3. Raceland (very balanced and explosive offensively and gery difficult to do much of anything on defensively. If not for a few busted plays here and there, they wouldnt have been scored on. This def will be scary good come mid october)

4. Beechwood (they have taken care of business, maybe not in the most amazing way, but they have. History and reputation aids in this as well.

5. Pikeville (some cracks in the foundation were exposed against Paintsville and if they dont get and stay healthy, it may stay that way.

6. Hazard (kind of in the same boat as Beechwood really)

Nicholas Co has alot to prove yet.

I asked this in the Beechwood thread But if Beechwood loses do they drop? Here's another question? if Pikeville loses do they drop? Both are great questions and I want to hear opinions..

Pikeville will not only drop after this week, but drop out of the top ten. I don't think any Pikeville fan will be fooled in thinking otherwise.

Pikeville will not only drop after this week, but drop out of the top ten. I don't think any Pikeville fan will be fooled in thinking otherwise.

Are you being serious? If Pikeville loses 100-0, they still own a 61-12 win over the #8 ranked Fairview. I still would pick Pikeville to beat every team currently ranked below them in 1A. Pikeville isn't dropping this week. And I doubt if Beechwood will drop either, regardless of how their game against CCH goes.