Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Just admit it.....

Featured Replies

Also, I find it a little hypocritical to suggest how to deal with discipline issues coming from a school district that was less than honest regarding the dismissal of over a dozen students some years ago. A little reminder of history may temper the view here.
Which school system are you referring to?
  • Replies 57
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LexCath just adopted a policy that will prohibit middle schoolers who participated at any level on a high school team to be immediately eligible to play at Catholic. I believe they'll have to sit out a year. This should address your concerns LBBC.

IMO middle schoolers should never have been playing on a high school team in the first place. If a high school doesn't have enough students to field a team then they shouldn't be competing in that sport.

Actually, polarbear1994, X and T are not referred to in this way because they are "hated". Do you suppose that it is possible that X ad T are so well known and have accomplished so much that, like Elvis, they need no further introduction? I believe that is the case. On the other hand, you couldn't call Mason County "MC" or Male "M" or Scott County "SC" or whatever, now could you?

 

I misunderstood. I apologize if I upset anyone from St. X or Trinity with the assuption that you were hated

I misunderstood. I apologize if I upset anyone from St. X or Trinity with the assuption that you were hated

 

We aren't upset. Some respect us; some love us; some tolerate us; some are apathetic; and then there are those who hate us!:thumb:

 

It just comes with the territory.

LexCath just adopted a policy that will prohibit middle schoolers who participated at any level on a high school team to be immediately eligible to play at Catholic. I believe they'll have to sit out a year. This should address your concerns LBBC.

IMO middle schoolers should never have been playing on a high school team in the first place. If a high school doesn't have enough students to field a team then they shouldn't be competing in that sport.

So, the 6th grade girl that was leading the state golf championship after the first day last year and finished 10th, should be penalized because she is too young and it is irrelevant that she can stomp the tar out of most HSers???

 

People go on and on about watering down championships, but this would be watering down championships, too. It would not be about who is the best student/athlete in the state but about the best student/athlete that falls in this age category.

 

And yes, that would for LC. But for those in NKY, it does not.

So, the 6th grade girl that was leading the state golf championship after the first day last year and finished 10th, should be penalized because she is too young and it is irrelevant that she can stomp the tar out of most HSers???

 

People go on and on about watering down championships, but this would be watering down championships, too. It would not be about who is the best student/athlete in the state but about the best student/athlete that falls in this age category.

 

And yes, that would for LC. But for those in NKY, it does not.

In my opinion, high school events should be reserved for high school players. That said, that isn't what the rules say. By the same token, I also believe that the transfer rules should subject kids that play high school sports in middle school to the same rules as high school students. That also isn't the case. While I'm at it, I also think that the transfer rules should apply to anyone that plays high school sports on any level. But that also isn't what the rules say.

Jody Demling had an interesting statistic on his blog (http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/blog.html). On the Trinity team, 15 of 108 (14 percent) of the players are not from a Catholic parish. At X, it is 10 of 104 (10 percent). At Trinity, 2 of 24 starting positions are kids that are not from a Catholic parish (8 percent). For the school as a whole, approximately 20 percent of the Trinity students are not from a Catholic parish. I don't expect that these numbers will change many minds, but the simple truth is that the numbers don't back up the contention that Trinity and x are puting out all star teams from the public schools. In football, the numbers say that public middle school kids are UNDER represented as team members and as starters.

After seeing Trinity's football facilities last Saturday, that right there is a clear advantage over 99.9% of the state. I was super impressed with the fieldhouse, the seating, the pressboxes, the turf. Seeing all of that plus Trinity's tradition would make you want to play there. I bet there aren't any public school facilities as nice as this. I just wonder if St. X is going to have to "one up" them on their new facilities.

Jody Demling had an interesting statistic on his blog (http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/blog.html). On the Trinity team, 15 of 108 (14 percent) of the players are not from a Catholic parish. At X, it is 10 of 104 (10 percent). At Trinity, 2 of 24 starting positions are kids that are not from a Catholic parish (8 percent). For the school as a whole, approximately 20 percent of the Trinity students are not from a Catholic parish. I don't expect that these numbers will change many minds, but the simple truth is that the numbers don't back up the contention that Trinity and x are puting out all star teams from the public schools. In football, the numbers say that public middle school kids are UNDER represented as team members and as starters.

My comments have almost consistently been about sports other than football and usually more on the female side of the field. I don't know a lot about the inner workings of football but have learned a great deal from BGP over the past few months.

Leathernecks comments about expulsion shows a little ignorance of the current law. Perhaps he failed to understand No Child Left Behind along with the inherent rights a student can claim to an education. Also, I find it a little hypocritical to suggest how to deal with discipline issues coming from a school district that was less than honest regarding the dismissal of over a dozen students some years ago. A little reminder of history may temper the view here.

 

OT, I said I believe what I stated and asked if I was wrong. I wasn't sure. To that you are correct I am ignorant of what a school can do to expel problem students. Would you mind telling us what a school can and cannot do in re expelling problem students. Does NCLB prevent schools from expelling students under all situations? Does NCLB apply to all schools or only school districts that accept fed money? Educate me/us on the issues. Saying I'm ignorant (while accuate on this issue) is only a small part of what I'd like you to provide. Frankly I have no clue what you are talking about regarding the dismissal of over a dozen students years ago. If you'd rather pm the situation to me to not violate any rules here, please do so. I assume you are referring to a situation at Highlands and have been very close to the school for decades, but don't know what you are referring to. To the extent Highlands did not dismiss some students found guilty of disciplinary violations, it obviously has not affected the decisions of parents to continue to send their kids to Highlands. Such decisions by parents to not send students to certain schools because of the disciplinary problems at certain schools was the context of my remarks and any failure of Highlands to expel students is not hypocritical because those problems have obviously not affected parents decisions to send kids to Highlands.

I just wonder if St. X is going to have to "one up" them on their new facilities.

They are not going to "have to" they are and will

After seeing Trinity's football facilities last Saturday, that right there is a clear advantage over 99.9% of the state. I was super impressed with the fieldhouse, the seating, the pressboxes, the turf. Seeing all of that plus Trinity's tradition would make you want to play there. I bet there aren't any public school facilities as nice as this. I just wonder if St. X is going to have to "one up" them on their new facilities.

 

 

T has excellent facilities and X will be getting a nice stadium next year too. These changes however are very recent. For years T's stadium was well below average as far as stadiums go and X didnt even have a football stadium of their own. Until recently 99% of the state had an advantage over both of them in that respect.

On the other hand, you couldn't call Male "M" now could you?

No, we call them "H" and that is known as well :thumb:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.