Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Just admit it.....

Featured Replies

  • Author

Dont get me wrong private schoolers should defend their schools and their choices. I think private schools are the way to go. I myself breifly attended a private school. But private schools should not pretend that their are not athletes coming to their school just to play sports. I have seen it personally.

  • Replies 57
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
First, you toss Male in with X and T. Male is a public school believe it or not.

 

Second, how is it an advantage when a kid has to pay $8,000 dollars a year and provide his own transportation to and from school?

 

Some private schools offer scholarships or other financial aid for some students. and if a family can afford to pay 8,000 ayear they can afford transportation. Whats the name of that documentary of the two basketball players from chicago that went to St. joesephs but one was kicked out and the other given financial assistants? thats what I'm talking about.

Some private schools offer scholarships or other financial aid for some students. and if a family can afford to pay 8,000 ayear they can afford transportation.

 

Yes! I drove my $300 1985 Dodge Omni 25 miles to school everyday because my Mercedes was in the shop. :laugh:

Some private schools offer scholarships or other financial aid for some students. and if a family can afford to pay 8,000 ayear they can afford transportation. Whats the name of that documentary of the two basketball players from chicago that went to St. joesephs but one was kicked out and the other given financial assistants? thats what I'm talking about.

 

Assuming you are right, and assuming that a private school paid the entire tuition of an athlete, this only puts the athlete at the private school on a level playing field with an athlete at a public school. They would each pay $0 tuition. So where would there be any advantage for the private school?

First, you toss Male in with X and T. Male is a public school believe it or not.

 

Second, how is it an advantage when a kid has to pay $8,000 dollars a year and provide his own transportation to and from school?

Brossart students ride Campbell County School busses.

I don't think that most private school supporters deny there are some advantages. There are some disadvantages as well.

 

The point is that you cannot make blanket statements like you have made.

Great, great post.:thumb:

  • Author
Assuming you are right, and assuming that a private school paid the entire tuition of an athlete, this only puts the athlete at the private school on a level playing field with an athlete at a public school. They would each pay $0 tuition. So where would there be any advantage for the private school?

 

When I speak of a scholarship athlete or for the most part a private school athlete I mean that he/she is a talented athlete. Whereas public schools dont have as much talent. Just wondering, how many D-1 players come from public vs. private schools in KY? And by the way no one has answered me as to why schools have had such long runs as state champs.

  • Author

I really didnt think I would get such responses from the private schoolers.

I am totally for the private schools and against the 6 classes in football.

In my original post maybe I should have said unfair advantage. Because that is the only problem I see, where private schools can become talent pools. But I say if you want to be the best beat the best. Even if the best is an all-star team.

Does anybody know what I'm trying to say?!? Somebody show me love!

Whereas public schools dont have as much talent. Just wondering, how many D-1 players come from public vs. private schools in KY? And by the way no one has answered me as to why schools have had such long runs as state champs.
I can name at least one public school that has had 17 D-1 signees since 1998. For example, here is a list of D-1 recruits over the past five years in NKY As you can see, fourteen of the sixteen are from public schools:

 

CLASS OF 2006
Player


High School


College

Drew Ellison

Covington Catholic Air Force*
Ben Guidugli Highlands Cincinnati
Tyler Madlom Ryle Army*

CLASS OF 2005

Player High School College
Mike Donoghue Covington Catholic Louisville
Mike Mitchell Highlands Ohio
Jordan Nevels Highlands Kentucky

CLASS OF 2004

Player High School College
Scott Kuhn Conner Louisville
Sean Sester Highlands Purdue

CLASS OF 2003

Player High School College
Jeremy Bolton Conner UC
Brandent Englemon Holmes Michigan
Doug Jones Dixie Heights Cincinnati

CLASS OF 2002

Player High School College
Joe Brady Beechwood Kentucky
Matt Coppage Simon Kenton Ohio
James Jackson Holmes Louisville
Jeff Reinstatler Highlands Cincinnati
Rob Smith Highlands Tennessee

 

 

The public/private issue had no bearing on school's having long runs as state champs.

Yes! I drove my $300 1985 Dodge Omni 25 miles to school everyday because my Mercedes was in the shop. :laugh:

I agree, my 1989 Ford Ranger was a sight for sore eyes. It had an AM only radio. So the radio was never on. I eventually put a basketball in the tailgate so that when it abnged against the end of the tailgate it provided some nice bass. It was a good ole rust bucket.

When I speak of a scholarship athlete or for the most part a private school athlete I mean that he/she is a talented athlete. Whereas public schools dont have as much talent. Just wondering, how many D-1 players come from public vs. private schools in KY? And by the way no one has answered me as to why schools have had such long runs as state champs.

 

1.So do I understand that you agree with me that even if a private school pays an athlete's tuition, the player gets nothing he wouldn't get at a public school since there is no tuition at public schools?

 

2. Don't know the numbers, but one poster from Trinity said about 3 or 4 from there over the last 3 years, two of which were state titles.

 

3.I don't know why schools have had such long runs as state champs. Trinity and Highlands have 16 each. Other multiple winners include St. X, Beechwood, Boyle County, Danville, Belfry, Mayfield. Only St. X and Trinity are private.

When I speak of a scholarship athlete or for the most part a private school athlete I mean that he/she is a talented athlete. Whereas public schools dont have as much talent. Just wondering, how many D-1 players come from public vs. private schools in KY? And by the way no one has answered me as to why schools have had such long runs as state champs.

 

 

St.X won the title in 2004 without a single D-1 scholarship player.

I really didnt think I would get such responses from the private schoolers.

I am totally for the private schools and against the 6 classes in football.

In my original post maybe I should have said unfair advantage. Because that is the only problem I see, where private schools can become talent pools. But I say if you want to be the best beat the best. Even if the best is an all-star team.

Does anybody know what I'm trying to say?!? Somebody show me love!

 

You are among the minority on this site my friend....

Private schools were established to provide any educational opportunities. Private, religious education is a whole lot older, both in the United States and worldwide, than is public education.

 

As for the Catholic schools specifically, if our forebears could look and see what has happened to the school system they've established, I think they would be shocked by the progress. Catholic parish schools and high schools were started in communities of Irish, German and Italian Catholic immigrants. The fact that they have become so great is a testament to the efforts put forth by the Catholic educators of 100 years ago. The most upwardly-mobile social group in the 20th century was Roman Catholics. Much of that has to do with the efforts of these community schools. Not bad only 130 years removed from "No Irish Need Apply" and only 80 years removed from the destruction of Al Smith's presidential campaign by the KKK.

 

jwah00, you named Male in your post. That sums it up. We need to frame this not as a question of private v. public in totality, but (as so many other posters have said) at least in part as an urban v. rural discussion.

 

You saved me a ton of typing, Getslow! :thumb:

 

I often wonder how many people know the history of education in the US?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.