Russell 2016

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did Russell do/look in the Raceland 7 on 7?

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it over there. I just hope that Church got plenty of reps with his WRs. The receiving corps should be pretty deep, but QB is a bit of a question mark until proven otherwise. I've got confidence in him, though. He's 6'2", has a strong arm, and is a good athlete.

I'm getting a little anxious. August 27th can't get here soon enough!

Lawrence had a really good team last year as well but I think they come back to the pack this year. I see them and Pike Central on about the same level with the top 3-4 in this district over the next 3 seasons. No one will touch Belfry this year.....but let's see what happens when this super group of seniors graduates. You never know what the future holds.

I think Belfry will come back to the pack slightly after this season, but not much. They've reeled off a string of middle school state titles the last few years. Programs like Russell, Lawrence County, Pike Central, and Fleming County are going to have to elevate their game to conquer the Pirates in this region.

I don't see it happening this year, but like you said, you never know what the future holds.

• 2 weeks later...

Russell had their own 7 on 7 but I'm not sure how they did. If anyone attended give us some details on how the 7 on 7 went.

Also I saw on twitter where the Russell football team went to watch the New Orleans Saints Practice at the Greenbrier. That is a neat experience to get them ready for football season.

Hot Reads: When Devils go marching into Saints camp

Hot Reads: When Devils go marching into Saints camp | Sports | dailyindependent.com

FLATWOODS Nothing like spending time with Drew Brees and the rest of the New Orleans Saints to get a high school football team stoked for the upcoming season.

Just ask the Russell Red Devils.

Every year prior to team camp, coach T.J. Maynard likes to schedule a fun getaway with his players.

“Before we get ready to get after it,” is how the coach put it.

One option didn’t pan out this summer, but then Russell athletic director Sam Sparks mentioned that the Saints were about to begin their training camp at The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia.

Maynard did some research and quickly put together an excursion.

“I didn’t know the Saints trained there,” he said. “I had heard of The Greenbrier, but had never been there.”

Last Thursday, three school buses loaded with Russell players and coaches pulled out at 5:30 a.m. for the three-hour trip. They attended the Saints’ open morning practice, where bleachers were available for spectators.

click the link to read the rest

I think Russell had a left handed QB last season. I watched him warm up during the Grid last season and thought he looked good. He was ot the starter. Is he back this season? If so will he be the starter or is the starter from last season back? Thanks.

I think you're thinking of Jacob McKee, I am almost positive he was a 3/4 year starter but he graduated.

Whoever gets the nod at QB for Russell will be fortunate enough to have Nick Conley to make it easier on him.

The roster has around 60 kids on it but I think a few may have been left off the roster on khsaa.org site. I didn't see junior Austin Church(unless Austin Smith was supposed to be Austin Church,Which is possible) on the roster and I'm sure there is a few more. I think I'll wait for the ADI preview roster and see how many are on the roster.

The roster has around 60 kids on it but I think a few may have been left off the roster on khsaa.org site. I didn't see junior Austin Church(unless Austin Smith was supposed to be Austin Church,Which is possible) on the roster and I'm sure there is a few more. I think I'll wait for the ADI preview roster and see how many are on the roster.

You gotta figure there were some names omitted from the KHSAA roster for one reason or another. Austin Brinkman and Nick Caldwell are a couple of seniors whose names aren't listed. I'd be surprised if they didn't play their senior years after being valuable players last year. Last year Russell dressed 80+ kids. To go from 80+ to 60 in one year would be surprising. Hopefully, there will be some names added before the final roster is set.

And yes, Austin Smith is Austin Church. He was listed as Smith in 2014, then Church last year.

Is his last name Smith or Church?

I'm not really sure what name he's going by right now. I've seen him credited as both in the ADI recently. I'm really excited about his potential. He appears to have filled out some since last year. His Hudl page lists him at 6'3" and 195 lbs. He's got a strong arm and is a good athlete.

• 2 weeks later...