9/9 A Ashland Paul G. Blazer

9/16 ????? (H Boyd County?????)

9/23 ????? (H West Carter?????)

9/30 A Fleming County

10/7 ????? (H Pendleton County?????)

10/14 ????? (H Lewis County?????)

10/21 ????? (A Bath County?????)

10/28 A Raceland-Worthington

Interested to see how well they can pass the ball and who is the QB. They'll have Conley back, who has rushed for a thousand each season of his career and I doubt that'll change this year.

They'll be good, I still think it'll be a three team race for that district between West Carter, Fleming, and Russell.

Depends on their line play.

^^^Can't stress this enough.

The OL/DL will dictate much of Russell's season. Only one starter returns from each line, and it's the same player, 6'4" T/DE Jacob Pierce.

I look for Sr's Alex Adams & Jensen Smith, Jr's Aaron Hill & Austin Braden and possibly Soph's Cameron Jenkins & Trey Belcher to shore up the line of scrimmage for the Red Devils.

It really boils down to whether or not they show up for the first day of practice bigger, stronger, and fitter than last year. If they do, Russell could be pretty strong this upcoming season.

Interested to see how well they can pass the ball and who is the QB. They'll have Conley back, who has rushed for a thousand each season of his career and I doubt that'll change this year.

They'll be good, I still think it'll be a three team race for that district between West Carter, Fleming, and Russell.

I'm excited to see what the offense looks like next season.

Conley's going to get his touches and yards, but I think there's big time potential for the passing game. Russell returns its top five receivers, including Conley. Landon Brewer(Sr) finished last season on a strong note, catching 7 TD passes in the last five games. Drey Boehm(Sr) has big play potential at WR and in the return game. Ryan Stump(Jr) could be a star at Russell before he's done, while Nick Caldwell(Sr) and Jaeden Layne(Jr) should round out a pretty strong receiving corps.

As far as the district goes, I expect Fleming County to be pretty good, but I'm not sure about West Carter. The Comets lose an awful lot to graduation.

Russell 2016 Schedule

8/26 ????? (A Greenup County?????)

9/2 H Ironton (OH)

9/9 A Ashland Paul G. Blazer

9/16 ????? (H Boyd County?????)

9/23 ????? (H West Carter?????)

9/30 A Fleming County

10/7 ????? (H Pendleton County?????)

10/14 H Lewis County

10/21 ????? (A Bath County?????)

10/28 A Raceland-Worthington

I'm excited to see what the offense looks like next season.

Conley's going to get his touches and yards, but I think there's big time potential for the passing game. Russell returns its top five receivers, including Conley. Landon Brewer(Sr) finished last season on a strong note, catching 7 TD passes in the last five games. Drey Boehm(Sr) has big play potential at WR and in the return game. Ryan Stump(Jr) could be a star at Russell before he's done, while Nick Caldwell(Sr) and Jaeden Layne(Jr) should round out a pretty strong receiving corps.

As far as the district goes, I expect Fleming County to be pretty good, but I'm not sure about West Carter. The Comets lose an awful lot to graduation.

Russell will be ok but may start a little shaky replacing so many parts. Fleming County will be good the next 2 seasons but West Carter will take steps back. Brown was probably the best football player in the program since his father in the late 80's. There were a couple of other graduating Seniors that were really good at their positions as well. They will all be very hard to replace.

• 1 month later...

Russell full official schedule

Aug 27, 16 Greenup County away 7:30 PM

Sep 2, 16 Ironton, OH home 7:30 PM

Sep 9, 16 Ashland Blazer away 7:30 PM

Sep 16, 16 Boyd County home 7:30 PM

Sep 23, 16 West Carter home 7:30 PM

Sep 30, 16 Fleming County away 7:30 PM

Oct 7, 16 Pendleton County home 8:00 PM

Oct 14, 16 Lewis County home 7:30 PM

Oct 21, 16 Bath County away 7:30 PM

Oct 28, 16 Raceland away 7:30 PM

Hope that Russell has a solid season.

They have the luxury of playing in one of the weaker districts in AAA, but they have the Big Red Machine from Pond Creek in the region so I guess it all balances out.

If I am Russell I feed Conley early and often. He is a special player IMO.

Hope that Russell has a solid season.

They have the luxury of playing in one of the weaker districts in AAA, but they have the Big Red Machine from Pond Creek in the region so I guess it all balances out.

If I am Russell I feed Conley early and often. He is a special player IMO.

The district is weaker than some others in 3A in name recognition for sure....but don't be surprised if Russell is no better than runner up the next 3 years also. West Carter fielded the best team and football athlete they ever had last year. Fleming Co is going to be very solid this season and next. Bath Co is going to be solid next season and very solid the following.

The district is weaker than some others in 3A in name recognition for sure....but don't be surprised if Russell is no better than runner up the next 3 years also. West Carter fielded the best team and football athlete they ever had last year. Fleming Co is going to be very solid this season and next. Bath Co is going to be solid next season and very solid the following.

Those teams may be on the rise but I watched West Carter get dominated by Lawrence last year in the playoffs. They made some plays in some onside kicks and Lawrence let off the gas and made the score much closer than the game really was.

I still think there is a gap in talent between the 2 districts in the region, but that is just my thoughts.

Bottom line is I am not sure it matters who wins the district and who is runner up. All it does is decide if Belfry beats you in the 2nd round or if Lawrence beats you.

(Not trying to take anything away from a district title. It is an accomplishment to be proud of for sure, but I still feel this is a very weak district)

From what I understand, Russell's line play will be much improved. Should that be the case then I look for the Devils to have a very good season.

Good luck to Russell this season .... with the exception of your last regular season game, of course. :thumb: :sneaky:

Those teams may be on the rise but I watched West Carter get dominated by Lawrence last year in the playoffs. They made some plays in some onside kicks and Lawrence let off the gas and made the score much closer than the game really was.

I still think there is a gap in talent between the 2 districts in the region, but that is just my thoughts.

Bottom line is I am not sure it matters who wins the district and who is runner up. All it does is decide if Belfry beats you in the 2nd round or if Lawrence beats you.

(Not trying to take anything away from a district title. It is an accomplishment to be proud of for sure, but I still feel this is a very weak district)

Lawrence had a really good team last year as well but I think they come back to the pack this year. I see them and Pike Central on about the same level with the top 3-4 in this district over the next 3 seasons. No one will touch Belfry this year.....but let's see what happens when this super group of seniors graduates. You never know what the future holds.