Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Acceptable Reaction By Officer?

Featured Replies

Seems like a video that is good for discussion about what we as a society feel is an acceptable response to a situation EVEN THOUGH we're not there in the heat of the battle. It's the world officers live in today.

 

Situation: Teenage girl and her brother are heading home on bicycles and cut through a mall parking lot. For some reason, this caused the officer to pursue them. Not sure if that's normal at a mall - seems harmless to me but...

 

Stops them. Girl tries to tell them they're on their way home which is not far away and they use this shortcut all the time. Must not go well and the girl appears to try to take off on her bike i.e. escape. Officer grabs her. Other officer secures her brother.

 

It THEN gets to the point of IMO being fair to question what we are seeing. Officer appears to lose it mentally and starts throwing her around by her hair and then after she's on the ground lights her up with a tazer.

 

Officer charged her with resisting arrest and assault on an officer.

 

Charges were ultimately dropped. Lawsuit ensues.

 

  • Replies 37
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kids, don't run from the cops and do what they say. It's really not that hard to comprehend. Boy was fine until he went after the cop. He learned without getting tossed around too hard.

Would love to hear what she was saying.

Too much missing information.

 

Why did the Officer stop them? Is that a bunch of Mall Cops with the Officer? Did the Mall Cops want them stopped? If the stop was lawful then her trying to flee may be a felony, it is certainly a crime. If you are trying to cuff someone under arrest and they refuse to cooperate getting them to the ground is often ugly because most cops do it in a way so they don't hurt the criminal, this looks like one of those cases. Otherwise you just slam them like you may do a drunk fighter at a bar.

 

Overall I don't like what I see but I would need a lot more information before speculating much further.

Subject should have not tried to leave the scene.

 

I don't think taking her to the ground was uncalled for. By the hair, probably not. Not sure about the taser. Would be nice to hear what she was saying.

 

One thing I will say, whoever labeled this video a brutal beating has never seen a brutal beating IMHO.

  • Author
Subject should have not tried to leave the scene.

 

I don't think taking her to the ground was uncalled for. By the hair, probably not. Not sure about the taser. Would be nice to hear what she was saying.

 

One thing I will say, whoever labeled this video a brutal beating has never seen a brutal beating IMHO.

 

The "what she was saying" comment is interesting. Please expound a bit. Interesting.

  • Author
Kids, don't run from the cops and do what they say. It's really not that hard to comprehend. Boy was fine until he went after the cop. He learned without getting tossed around too hard.

Would love to hear what she was saying.

 

You and I have had this disagreement before so this won't be new to you.

 

I think most rational adults agree that the "not doing what you're told" does not give an officer free reign. If he had shot her for riding off on her bike I think we'd agree that would be excessive, right? So there's obviously a limit which makes the "do what you're told or..." really untrue.

The "what she was saying" comment is interesting. Please expound a bit. Interesting.

 

Is she trying to explain what they were doing? Had there been a robbery in which they are the suspects and she is trying to explain that? Is she threatening the officer?

 

As the Guru said, too many unknowns.

You and I have had this disagreement before so this won't be new to you.

 

I think most rational adults agree that the "not doing what you're told" does not give an officer free reign. If he had shot her for riding off on her bike I think we'd agree that would be excessive, right? So there's obviously a limit which makes the "do what you're told or..." really untrue.

 

I think that no matter what an officer does, they will be criticized. If he shoots her, it's excessive. In this case he doesn't shoot her and many will still say what he does is excessive.

 

What's he supposed to do?

  • Author
Too much missing information.

 

Why did the Officer stop them? Is that a bunch of Mall Cops with the Officer? Did the Mall Cops want them stopped? If the stop was lawful then her trying to flee may be a felony, it is certainly a crime. If you are trying to cuff someone under arrest and they refuse to cooperate getting them to the ground is often ugly because most cops do it in a way so they don't hurt the criminal, this looks like one of those cases. Otherwise you just slam them like you may do a drunk fighter at a bar.

 

Overall I don't like what I see but I would need a lot more information before speculating much further.

 

This is a Tacoma officer who was working part-time for mall security so he was mall security that day. He stopped them for trespassing.

This is a Tacoma officer who was working part-time for mall security so he was mall security that day. He stopped them for trespassing.

 

I would definitely want to read the Officer's statement.

 

I would also like to know exactly how the charges were dropped. Were they dropped the next day? Or did they go to court, the female admitted probable cause for the arrest, and then they were dropped?

 

So many unknowns Clyde.

 

Again, I don't like what I see.

The "what she was saying" comment is interesting. Please expound a bit. Interesting.

I was wondering the same thing.

You and I have had this disagreement before so this won't be new to you.

 

I think most rational adults agree that the "not doing what you're told" does not give an officer free reign. If he had shot her for riding off on her bike I think we'd agree that would be excessive, right? So there's obviously a limit which makes the "do what you're told or..." really untrue.

 

If she keeps her pie hole shut and does not flee does she get taken down by the hair?

If she keeps her pie hole shut and does not flee does she get taken down by the hair?

 

We are definitely entering an era where "criminals" are going to challenge authority more and the criminals are more emboldened than ever.

 

When these talking head politically correct elected officials start shooting off their pie holes about what the police should and should not be doing (and not standing behind the police when the police are right) there is ZERO question in my mind that it will lead to more violence in our streets. And violence takes many forms, and sometimes the police will be to blame, but most of the time it will be the criminal element.

 

Five years from now I would love to see all the Homicide/Shooting statistics in the US from 2010 to 2020. Right or wrong the Sociologist will have a field day.

If she keeps her pie hole shut and does not flee does she get taken down by the hair?
I dont see her trying to flee ,just shifting her weight on the bike . Total overreaction by the cop .
I dont see her trying to flee ,just shifting her weight on the bike . Total overreaction by the cop .
It looks like she was leaning forward as if to leave, not just shift her weight. It's hard to make any assumption 100%, based on the video.

 

As Guru said, a lot of missing information and unknown variables to have a clear idea of exactly what happened.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.