May 16, 201610 yr As far as the video goes, I am in the camp along with others thinking there is some pretty significant info missing. Taking this video at face value, it looks like the officer over reacted. However, I would like to see a statement from the officer and witnesses. It sounds like this could have been avoided if both parties had conducted themselves with some sort of decency and respect for each other, as people, but as we know that just isn't the norm in society anymore. For some reason, people, mostly kids, think that they have a right to challenge and be disrespectful to law enforcement officers and that nothing can be done about it. I'm not sure were this sense of arrogance came from, but it has done nothing but ignite tensions between the community and LE officers.
May 16, 201610 yr Yeah well I'm in the Camp that if I'm backing up in that Blue Sedan next to the black Toyota Tacoma she is certainly peeled and the Story line is very different. Don't ride through a restricted area and there won't be any problems. So who's at fault when I do run the Child over backing up and she shouldn't have been there in the 1st place? Maybe that's why they don't want them taking the short cut. Maybe they have had some complaints about some near misses. Or do I dare say "I will ride my Bike where ever I want" and there is nothing you can do about it. Way too much missing material here.....Over excessive enforcement by the Officer? Probably!
May 16, 201610 yr Author Sometimes, when people ask questions they are actually looking for answers, and sometimes they are not. There was no answer being sought.
May 16, 201610 yr As far as the video goes, I am in the camp along with others thinking there is some pretty significant info missing. Taking this video at face value, it looks like the officer over reacted. However, I would like to see a statement from the officer and witnesses. It sounds like this could have been avoided if both parties had conducted themselves with some sort of decency and respect for each other, as people, but as we know that just isn't the norm in society anymore. For some reason, people, mostly kids, think that they have a right to challenge and be disrespectful to law enforcement officers and that nothing can be done about it. I'm not sure were this sense of arrogance came from, but it has done nothing but ignite tensions between the community and LE officers. I'm wondering why 2 cops were in pursuit. Doesn't appear to be a random stop.
May 16, 201610 yr I'm wondering why 2 cops were in pursuit. Doesn't appear to be a random stop. That is part of the unknown information. If bikes were prohibited in the parking lot, then I see nothing wrong with the initial stop by the officer.
May 18, 201610 yr This is a Tacoma officer who was working part-time for mall security so he was mall security that day. He stopped them for trespassing. Haha seriously? That's a joke
May 18, 201610 yr Looks excessive to me. Even if she's mouthing off to the officer that wouldn't justify it for me.
May 19, 201610 yr Yeah well I'm in the Camp that if I'm backing up in that Blue Sedan next to the black Toyota Tacoma she is certainly peeled and the Story line is very different. Don't ride through a restricted area and there won't be any problems. So who's at fault when I do run the Child over backing up and she shouldn't have been there in the 1st place? Maybe that's why they don't want them taking the short cut. Maybe they have had some complaints about some near misses. Or do I dare say "I will ride my Bike where ever I want" and there is nothing you can do about it. Way too much missing material here.....Over excessive enforcement by the Officer? Probably! The only thing I can think of on the officer's behalf is if there had been complaints about kids on bikes, scratched vehicles, some damage to customers' cars or mall property and young people were suspected of it, or if there had been an accident involving a bicycle previously. LEO then would have cause to stop the kids on bikes. But, geesh, that sure looks excessive. If it was my daughter (which means I would not be an impartial judge), it was excessive. I still am with theguru in not wanting to judge the officer without more knowledge. BTW, aren't most public areas, parking lots, etc. required to provide bike racks for bicycle parking? I would think one should expect bicycles in your parking lot if that is the case. That's probably why the trespassing charge was dropped. I am almost certain Boone County requires bike racks in public parking areas. I'll have to look around the mall parking areas the next time I'm there... like next Christmas or the one after that.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.