Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Georgia anti-gay law could cost Atlanta a Super Bowl

Featured Replies

Georgia Governor Nathan Deal is in the process of deciding whether to sign a law that its supporters call a “religious liberty” bill but which opponents point out would legalize anti-gay discrimination in the state. The NFL is letting the governor know that if he signs the bill, it could jeopardize Atlanta’s chances of hosting the Super Bowl.

 

Although Atlanta is widely expected to get the Super Bowl in either 2019 or 2020 after taxpayers agreed to finance the Falcons’ new stadium, the league released a statement on Friday saying it will review the law in conjunction with determining whether the Falcons get the game.

 

“NFL policies emphasize tolerance and inclusiveness, and prohibit discrimination based on age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other improper standard,” the league’s statement to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution said. “Whether the laws and regulations of a state and local community are consistent with these policies would be one of many factors NFL owners may use to evaluate potential Super Bowl host sites.”

 

Two years ago the governor of Arizona vetoed a similar bill because the NFL said the state could lose the Super Bowl.

 

Georgia anti-gay law could cost Atlanta a Super Bowl | ProFootballTalk

  • Author

Often times I am critical of the NFL's "evil empire" stances but this is one of those times I stand up and applaud the NFL.

  • Author

I really would like to hear from our core group of Pro Football guys on this one.

Didn't the state of Indiana face similar problems (maybe with the NCAA) a while back?

Didn't the state of Indiana face similar problems (maybe with the NCAA) a while back?

 

Yes, although I don't think Indiana ever passed the law, it was just proposed. I may be wrong.

Yes, although I don't think Indiana ever passed the law, it was just proposed. I may be wrong.

 

Sounds correct. If the law wasn't passed, I wonder how much pressure was brought to bear by sports organizations.

Didn't the state of Indiana face similar problems (maybe with the NCAA) a while back?

 

The band Wilco had cancelled their show there and encouraged other bands to do the same until the state dropped trying to pass the law.

Ah, I don't really care how the NFL wants to flex in public. IMO, this is one of those areas they'd try to front as concerned about social issues when they have a long history of screwing their own. Forgive me for the jaded opinion, but this is nothing more than getting out in front of the possibility of their myriad of sponsors being upset and possibly giving the NFL grief for not taking a social stance. Just my opinion but everything this league does comes down to $.

  • Author
Ah, I don't really care how the NFL wants to flex in public. IMO, this is one of those areas they'd try to front as concerned about social issues when they have a long history of screwing their own. Forgive me for the jaded opinion, but this is nothing more than getting out in front of the possibility of their myriad of sponsors being upset and possibly giving the NFL grief for not taking a social stance. Just my opinion but everything this league does comes down to $.

 

I am giving you a B- for Comprehension 201 but an A+ for Psychology 569.

Oh, I think I understand the what very well. It's the motive, or the why, that I question.

  • Author
Oh, I think I understand the what very well. It's the motive, or the why, that I question.

 

Why could be a lot of things: politics, money, and/or the NFL believes it is the right thing to do. Maybe even all three...

 

I think the million dollar question that we all need to ponder is this:

 

Do you support the NFL's policy of tolerance and inclusiveness that prohibits discrimination based on age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other improper standard?

  • Author

The governor of Georgia has decided to veto a law that could have threatened Atlanta’s ability to host a Super Bowl.

 

Gov. Nathan Deal said in a statement that the “religious liberty” bill, which gay-rights groups said would allow discrimination, “doesn’t reflect the character of our state or the character of its people.”

 

Two years ago the governor of Arizona vetoed a similar bill after the NFL said that state could lose the Super Bowl.

 

Georgia governor to veto law that threatened Atlanta Super Bowl | ProFootballTalk

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.