Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Duke's #4 Seed

Featured Replies

1. They finished tied for 5th in their conference, although it is one of, if not the best conference.

2. They had a record of 9-8 in their last 17 games.

 

I saw this being debated yesterday on TV. What do the BGP faithful think?

  • Replies 40
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know there are lots of metrics, but I'm a big fan of kenpom. Pomeroy has Duke rated #22. Louisville and SMU are both ahead of them and ineligible, so that would put Duke at #20. I think a five-seed is a little more realistic.

Duke was one of about 20 other schools that received a head scratching seed. The benefit for Duke is being sent west, which is you are a questionable team, you want to be sent that direction.

This was also to be expected with so many poor teams with losses. ISU at a 4 seed was the most shocking. These seeds do reaffirm that the conference tournaments meant nothing to the committee. Unless you were Indiana, then it count against you. Had the committee stayed consistent in that line of thinking, IU should have been a 3 seed.

Duke was one of about 20 other schools that received a head scratching seed. The benefit for Duke is being sent west, which is you are a questionable team, you want to be sent that direction.

 

I think most wouldn't argue with Duke or UK being #4 seeds, if they just switched regions.

When you compare Duke to the other 4's (Iowa St., Cal, UK), I think they fit fairly well. The one that stands out is UK. By comparison, there is no way they should be a 4.

I don't think Duke being a 4 or a 5 should have generated much argument. I think a 5 is a smidge more accurate, but I don't think a 4 is way-off base.

When you compare Duke to the other 4's (Iowa St., Cal, UK), I think they fit fairly well. The one that stands out is UK. By comparison, there is no way they should be a 4.

 

If Texas A&M and UK were flipped, there would have been zero argument from either side. EXCEPT that UK fans would have then lost their mind about being in the West. Honestly, I think Cal has conditioned the UK fan base that anything outside of being the best possible seed, and playing in Louisville, is an outright shafting. It borders on comical.

If Texas A&M and UK were flipped, there would have been zero argument from either side. EXCEPT that UK fans would have then lost their mind about being in the West. Honestly, I think Cal has conditioned the UK fan base that anything outside of being the best possible seed, and playing in Louisville, is an outright shafting. It borders on comical.

While nothing you say is incorrect, the selective criteria used in seeding teams is what fosters this environment to feed skepticism and hysteria.

If Texas A&M and UK were flipped, there would have been zero argument from either side. EXCEPT that UK fans would have then lost their mind about being in the West. Honestly, I think Cal has conditioned the UK fan base that anything outside of being the best possible seed, and playing in Louisville, is an outright shafting. It borders on comical.

 

As a UK fan, I was PRAYING to go west as I saw that bracket unfold. That was the path of least resistance for UK, IMO. We match up well versus the top 4 seeds in that bracket, assuming A&M was switched with UK.

If Texas A&M and UK were flipped, there would have been zero argument from either side. EXCEPT that UK fans would have then lost their mind about being in the West. Honestly, I think Cal has conditioned the UK fan base that anything outside of being the best possible seed, and playing in Louisville, is an outright shafting. It borders on comical.

 

Simple psychology. Cal beats his guys up all year,screaming, yelling, putting guys on the bench. Tournament comes around Cal buddies up with the guys and sells everyone involved (including fans)that it's us against the world.

Honestly, I think Cal has conditioned the UK fan base that anything outside of being the best possible seed, and playing in Louisville, is an outright shafting. It borders on comical.

 

He said in an ESPN interview the other day that he knew there was no way the selection committee was going to allow them to have a home game in Louisville.

As a UK fan, I was PRAYING to go west as I saw that bracket unfold. That was the path of least resistance for UK, IMO. We match up well versus the top 4 seeds in that bracket, assuming A&M was switched with UK.

 

It is the nature of the West bracket most years. Generally you get 3 or 4 higher quality teams in the western part of the country. Some of those may be in the same conference, so to avoid playing one another in early rounds (another stupid rule), you have to bring the lower tiered seeds from the eastern half of the US to play in the West. And normally you get a mid-major like Gonzaga or San Diego State on one of the top 4 lines to boot.

Simple psychology. Cal beats his guys up all year,screaming, yelling, putting guys on the bench. Tournament comes around Cal buddies up with the guys and sells everyone involved (including fans)that it's us against the world.

 

Exactly! Cal HAS to have that chip. It's not rocket science. People can think what they want, but Cal is doing this for a reason.

Exactly! Cal HAS to have that chip. It's not rocket science. People can think what they want, but Cal is doing this for a reason.

 

Of course he is, and it works. No one is faulting him, heck, he is the BEST at it. However, it creates this UK fan-base narrative that everyone is out to get us, it is us against the world, and it is, in a word, silly. How often do you see posts in this forum like "that ref hates UK", "that journalist is anti-UK", "the committee (which, you know, is constantly turning over and evolving) wants to screw UK", etc. It is funny.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.