Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is Highlands going to start cutting players?

Featured Replies

This is the first I have heard about this. I believe if a kid wants to play at Highlands, he will find a place.

 

However, there are kids that come every day, yet give the absolute minimum. I know this is true at just about all programs. I know an old coach that coached at a non-Highlands team in NKY that says "You will always have the steak eaters and bus riders." If I were a coach at a large program. I would give some serious consideration to having a traveling team of about 65 or 70 and the rest could come to all the home games and JV games. This would provide some incentive to get better to make the traveling squad. It may not fix the issue, but it might. I would love to hear opinions from others on this.

  • Replies 44
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupid rule. Especially for teams that have a larger number of participants.

 

Why should larger sized teams get more games than smaller ones?

Why should larger sized teams get more games than smaller ones?

 

Because they have more players would be my guess. Some teams, not many, could split their freshman and/or JV teams in half and play a full schedule. It limits development for those kids.

Not happening.....

 

You lost me at Duffy!

 

Maybe they should bring back Jack Eicher.

There comes a point where you don't have enough Coaches to coach the kids. That is when it becomes a problem. Not sure how many asst. coaches HHS has. Duffy always said he just needed 24 dedicated bodies.

Why should larger sized teams get more games than smaller ones?

 

At some point the talent level of the extra bodies does not boost the overall talent. Most of those kids know they may never set foot in a live varsity game. Probably get little to no rep time in practice. The extra games would be more of a participation reward for those who want to participate. Who knows keeping a kid on the team may teach him some stupid lessons like no drugs or alcohol, teamwork, work ethic, build their character, self sacrifice, bonding and lifetime friendships. Yah, maybe those extra meaningless games wouldn't make a difference in a kids life. It's why most coaches coach. Winning is the goal but making young stand up men is better.

I would think that Coach Weinrich would have to get approval from Mr Robinson or School Board right? And if granted, that would be because it would give Highlands a better chance to win? Let's say it doesn't work and Highlands doesn't win, does that mean the end of the Weinrich era? I would think so. Hmmm, very interesting off season topic. This could draw out some of the legends of BGP to post again.

 

Just sayin my friend!

Why does it matter if you have 25 kids who will never see the field except for mop up? Is it too difficult to keep track of that stuff I mean Weinrich and his staff have their Top 30-35 kids already listed and those kids will get the reps in practice that mean anything. The rest of the kids can stand off to the side for all that matters and watch.

 

He can determine who gets reps and who doesnt without cutting kids. If anything he may just go into the season stating this to the players. I had a coach like this back in HS my sophomore year. He used to get so ticked off during games at halftime he even made every kid who wasnt playing in the game stay outside of the locker room while he addressed us. I doubt its getting to that point though.

This is the first I have heard about this. I believe if a kid wants to play at Highlands, he will find a place.

 

However, there are kids that come every day, yet give the absolute minimum. I know this is true at just about all programs. I know an old coach that coached at a non-Highlands team in NKY that says "You will always have the steak eaters and bus riders." If I were a coach at a large program. I would give some serious consideration to having a traveling team of about 65 or 70 and the rest could come to all the home games and JV games. This would provide some incentive to get better to make the traveling squad. It may not fix the issue, but it might. I would love to hear opinions from others on this.

 

I think I could see something like this occurring to be quite honest.

I would think that Coach Weinrich would have to get approval from Mr Robinson or School Board right? And if granted, that would be because it would give Highlands a better chance to win? Let's say it doesn't work and Highlands doesn't win, does that mean the end of the Weinrich era? I would think so. Hmmm, very interesting off season topic. This could draw out some of the legends of BGP to post again.

 

Just sayin my friend!

 

Just curious why it would have to be approved by Mr. Robinson and/or the school board? Do the other sports have to do this at Highlands and/or do these same people have to approve of who does or does not get cut in any given year? I am just guessing here, but believe the coach can do whatever he wants to do without needing the blessing of anyone except the members of his coaching staff.

Just curious why it would have to be approved by Mr. Robinson and/or the school board? Do the other sports have to do this at Highlands and/or do these same people have to approve of who does or does not get cut in any given year? I am just guessing here, but believe the coach can do whatever he wants to do without needing the blessing of anyone except the members of his coaching staff.

 

My only thought was since it's a non-cut sport and making it a cut sport. Maybe he has control, don't know.

My only thought was since it's a non-cut sport and making it a cut sport. Maybe he has control, don't know.

 

Was it ever in writing that it was a non-cut sport?

There comes a point where you don't have enough Coaches to coach the kids. That is when it becomes a problem. Not sure how many asst. coaches HHS has. Duffy always said he just needed 24 dedicated bodies.

 

That's fine, but he ran A LOT OF very good talent off with just his demeanor. Some couldn't get past just the way they were treated.

Again remember 18 game limit to non varsity games. This counts freshman and JV games.

 

Where did you get that?

That's fine, but he ran A LOT OF very good talent off with just his demeanor. Some couldn't get past just the way they were treated.

 

Didn't say I agreed with what he did. That is just what I heard him say.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.