Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

First practice to be moved to August 1st?

Featured Replies

I have heard rumblings that the state of Kentucky maybe moving their starting date for practice to August 1st. With the first game to be played around Labor Day weekend.

Intersting factoid. Kentucky and Alaska are the only two states that start practice on July 15th.

Wow that would be crappy for ky, but I guess we would have to live with it. I don't think we get enough practice time now as it is.

I think it is a great idea and would love to see it happen. Kids are being pulled in to many directions as it is especially at smaller schools. Some play summer baseball and others have basketball before the dead period begins along with conditioning for football. Lets get the different sports back into their respective seasons please. Baseball (Spring and Summer) Football (August thru mid November) and basketball (Thanksgiving thru mid March)

I think it is a great idea and would love to see it happen. Kids are being pulled in to many directions as it is especially at smaller schools. Some play summer baseball and others have basketball before the dead period begins along with conditioning for football. Lets get the different sports back into their respective seasons please. Baseball (Spring and Summer) Football (August thru mid November) and basketball (Thanksgiving thru mid March)

Amen! :thumb: :thumb:

I will be shocked if the opening of the regular season is bumped back more than a week, especially given the KHSAA's current mindset that as many teams as possible should make the playoffs.

Amen! :thumb: :thumb:

:thumb: Thanks for your support but something tells me we will definitely be in the minority..

I think heat is one of the big reasons this has been talked about too. (Safety)

I think it is a great idea and would love to see it happen. Kids are being pulled in to many directions as it is especially at smaller schools. Some play summer baseball and others have basketball before the dead period begins along with conditioning for football. Lets get the different sports back into their respective seasons please. Baseball (Spring and Summer) Football (August thru mid November) and basketball (Thanksgiving thru mid March)

:thumb: Agreed, but with you it seems like it's always "the smaller schools".......

:thumb: Agreed, but with you it seems like it's always "the smaller schools".......

 

Thanks for agreeing and yes I am more familar with the smaller schools and how all the different seasons and practices tend to spread a kid a little thin over the course of the summer. It has a dramatic effect on the smaller schools because more of these kids are needed to play 2 and 3 sports where in a larger school a kid can concentrate all his energy in one sport if he wishes and not have it hurt the other programs that he chooses to not play. Larger schools obviously have more kids and the overlapping of seasons doesn't have quite the effect that it would at a smaller school. Hope I explained myself..maybe you could explain yourself..;)

I think it is a great idea and would love to see it happen. Kids are being pulled in to many directions as it is especially at smaller schools. Some play summer baseball and others have basketball before the dead period begins along with conditioning for football. Lets get the different sports back into their respective seasons please. Baseball (Spring and Summer) Football (August thru mid November) and basketball (Thanksgiving thru mid March)

 

I agree with you, and this proposition too! Why on earth practice starts so early, I have no idea?! Starting practice July 15 is too early for EVERYBODY involved in KY HS football, especially the players and coaches. Im sure a great deal of coaches out there in the state would agree with this, as well. Practice doesnt need to start until August 1st and the first game doesnt need to be until Labor Day weekend. In order for this to happen, though, school will need to be moved back from this LUDACRIS idea of starting August 1st in MOST places. The state of Kentucky's Education departmented determined a few years ago that the state needs '5 more days of instruction', which is all fine and dandy, but why does that mean schools need to start a whole 3 to 4 weeks earlier than how it used to be?! ( i know about the fall breaks with the current schedule, etc., etc., that would all have to be 'tweeked too'.. athletes, the parents of these athletes and coaches dont get 'breaks' and that is fine and dandy.).I say start school at the end of Aug., beginning of September..have a few 3 or 4 day weekends thrown in the mix until Christmas, and get back to doing it the way it was. That's a whole nother topic, though.

 

The fact is:

1)Football Practice doesnt need to start until Aug. 1(gives the coaches, players and parents of players more of a 'summer'

2)First game doesnt need to be until labor day weekend.

3)School needs to be moved back until the last week of August or after Labor Day.

4)Im mentioning the following, b/c i know it will be brought up, but the question of "what about basketball being moved back?"..I can tell you right now that basketball coaches wouldnt mind moving back practice until November or so. In some schools, with football teams that make it deep into the playoffs, those kids that play basketball too, dont get to start until late November and December, so that means the b-ball coaches have to already practice 2 months without a good number of their key players. Basketball coaches wouldnt mind starting "official" practice until November.

5)The list could go on, but I feel, that if the football coaches across the state are allowed any voice in this topic, then practice will definately be moved back.

This really does affect the summer conditioning and weight lifting programs of the smaller schools such as Somerset. We would only have 13-17 kids when their was summer basketball going on the same day!

I dont like it. Starting on August first would mean that some teams wouldnt even get to have Two-A-days cause they go back so early in August. I definately dont see the KHSAA pushing the football schedule back more than 1 week. Maybe if the had the starting date at July 23rd I would be for that but August 1st is just to late for some schools that go back the first week in August.

I think it is a great idea. Knocking the start of school back would be good too. Things have gotten out of hand. Some kids who want to play baseball in the summer don't because of the demands football and basketball has put on them. We need to get things balanced out a little more. It has gotten a little crazy the past few years.

I dont like it. Starting on August first would mean that some teams wouldnt even get to have Two-A-days cause they go back so early in August. I definately dont see the KHSAA pushing the football schedule back more than 1 week. Maybe if the had the starting date at July 23rd I would be for that but August 1st is just to late for some schools that go back the first week in August.

Why are 2 a days sacrosanct? After being part of HS football for 20+ years I have to say that I think their value is highly over rated.

 

If every team is on a level playing field what does it matter.

 

The only way that I could be in favor this however would be if all fall sports get the same start date AND if the period between July 15 and Aug 1 is part of the dead period. You know basketball coaches would be lining up to start using this time for their teams.

I think heat is one of the big reasons this has been talked about too. (Safety)

Aug. is KY. hottest month so I don't know about the heat factor. Because they got restriction on days now when you can or can't practice.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.