Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Overall assessment of officiating in the state?

Featured Replies

Myopic mindset? How about someone that thinks you can continuously screw up on the job! I don't have a job that will allow that. There are several good referees out there, but several that are not also. If you screw up continuously on a job then you get demoted or reprimanded in some way. I guess you get promoted in refereeing! You are the perfect fan though" Birdbrain", and I'm sure your knowledge of the game far exceeds mine. We fans that yell at refs that make mistakes over and over will sit quietly for you to enjoy...

 

Yeah...I think you make it wayyyyy too easy....

 

No where did I say that my knowledge of the game far exceeds anyone...you said that, but true colors being what they are, I guess we know now don't we ?

 

But I am glad that you are going to sit quietly from now. Maybe by watching and not reacting, you will learn something about the game....I doubt it, but possibly.

 

As for your comments about screwing up on the job and getting promoted...2 questions: 1) You ever have someone come to your job and act like an idiot, try to tell you how to do it, but they don't and have never done your job ? 2) When did you retire from officiating ?

 

If you get either one of these correct, I'll retract every last word I have posted....Good luck

  • Replies 69
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fourth

Region has really went down as they have old people calling the games that do not hustle and cannot get up and down the floor. First and Second have really got better. Third is going down as many of the older guys are getting out and no one there to replace them.

Yeah...I think you make it wayyyyy too easy....

 

No where did I say that my knowledge of the game far exceeds anyone...you said that, but true colors being what they are, I guess we know now don't we ?

 

But I am glad that you are going to sit quietly from now. Maybe by watching and not reacting, you will learn something about the game....I doubt it, but possibly.

 

As for your comments about screwing up on the job and getting promoted...2 questions: 1) You ever have someone come to your job and act like an idiot, try to tell you how to do it, but they don't and have never done your job ? 2) When did you retire from officiating ?

 

If you get either one of these correct, I'll retract every last word I have posted....Good luck

Ohhh! Did someone hurt your feelings? I think I know the sport pretty well, and I don't expect you to retract anything. I along with others enjoy your encouraging articles about what people don't know. I look forward to the positive readings in the future. I did not retire from refereeing, but I have learned that some people need to. Good luck to you as well!

Officials have a FAR tougher job right now than they ever have. As @BirdBrain said the HS game is in decline and with the advances in social media and technology, every call you make can be questioned to no end via Twitter, BGP, etc.

 

They get far too little pay/credit for it. How many times have you told an official they did an outstanding job? I'm betting far less than you've yelled at one for (in your eyes) blowing a call.

Officials have a FAR tougher job right now than they ever have. As @BirdBrain said the HS game is in decline and with the advances in social media and technology, every call you make can be questioned to no end via Twitter, BGP, etc.

 

They get far too little pay/credit for it. How many times have you told an official they did an outstanding job? I'm betting far less than you've yelled at one for (in your eyes) blowing a call.

I agree that their job is tough. I have told ref's they did a good job on several occasions. What I don't understand is how the same ones that are horrible today,tomorrow, and the next day, get to continue being horrible. It's obvious that some are just not good at it. I would not be good at it and I know this. I also understand that if your superiors don't make you aware of the problem, you will not know that you need improving. I'm sure I yell plenty more than I should.

I agree that their job is tough. I have told ref's they did a good job on several occasions. What I don't understand is how the same ones that are horrible today,tomorrow, and the next day, get to continue being horrible. It's obvious that some are just not good at it. I would not be good at it and I know this. I also understand that if your superiors don't make you aware of the problem, you will not know that you need improving. I'm sure I yell plenty more than I should.

 

The reason you see the same ones who, in your opinion, are horrible is because no one else wants to step up and do the job. Has the game passed several of them by - absolutely but because of the shortage as well as the political games played within some associations, those guys will usually get to do postseason games.

Ohhh! Did someone hurt your feelings? I think I know the sport pretty well, and I don't expect you to retract anything. I along with others enjoy your encouraging articles about what people don't know. I look forward to the positive readings in the future. I did not retire from refereeing, but I have learned that some people need to. Good luck to you as well!

 

1) You assume I have feelings, you obviously don't know how I operate

 

2) I'm not here to encourage positive feelings, you should get that from your therapist

 

3) I don't care if look forward to reading anything I have to say or not, I paid my money just like you.

 

4) You answered neither question, and by answering neither, you answered both.

 

Pay your $4 and say what you want...it's a non-factor during a game anyway and most people just look around for the tool bag when the yelling begins anyway.

Listen i have been known to yell at officials and complain about them. However, i want to defend them somewhat in this thread. Part of the problem in today's game is the way that the game is taught. In the past you had teams that passed the ball and ran offense and let the offense create a shot opportunity. This allowed for time to pass between whistles. In today's game EVERYONE is lowering their head and driving to the basket. This causes a lot more contact and a lot more tough calls on either block/charge/ or no call. Honestly, the referees could blow their whistle every position. Then we would all be complaining that they don't let the players play.

 

^ This X 100

 

the style of play in today's game makes it much harder to officiated than in the past.

1) You assume I have feelings, you obviously don't know how I operate

 

2) I'm not here to encourage positive feelings, you should get that from your therapist

 

3) I don't care if look forward to reading anything I have to say or not, I paid my money just like you.

 

4) You answered neither question, and by answering neither, you answered both.

 

Pay your $4 and say what you want...it's a non-factor during a game anyway and most people just look around for the tool bag when the yelling begins anyway.

 

I really don't give a crap whether you have feelings! I did ruffle your feathers though. I've never seen someone write so much that had no feelings though.. Did you marry a referee? Hey if you ever hear me yell at a game feel free to come call me a tool bag.

I really don't give a crap whether you have feelings! I did ruffle your feathers though. I've never seen someone write so much that had no feelings though.. Did you marry a referee? Hey if you ever hear me yell at a game feel free to come call me a tool bag.

 

Wrong again, I only responded about feeling because you brought it up.

 

Nah, didn't marry one, I married an awesome, fan and student of the game instead. In fairness, my spouse can point out a tool bag lickety split....

 

I won't have to, everyone around you already will be calling you that...but I still recommend a good therapist, it might help, you should consider it. You seem awful angry and fixated on emotions....

 

Thanks for being concerned about my lack of feelings....it plays well and does my heart good....now if you could only see how I beam

Wrong again, I only responded about feeling because you brought it up.

 

Nah, didn't marry one, I married a fan instead.

 

I won't have to, everyone around you already will be calling you that...among other things that wouldn't pass the word filter.

 

Thanks for being concerned about my lack of feelings....it plays well and does my heart good....now if you could only see how I beam

 

Well I'm tired of playing high school talk with you "Birdman" I'm sure people may say something but they keep it to themselves.It probably wouldn't be smart in the heat of the moment anyways. I know I probably wouldn't say anything to another fan that was all caught up in the heat of the moment. It usually doesn't end well for one. Some probably think it but they don't really say it.Beam on!

  • Author
For those that think that a 3 person crew is unnecessary and should be trimmed to cut costs...you have absolutely no idea the difference between angles and effort from 2 man to 3 man, it's night and day and would not make the game better, but worse. .

 

I'm gonna disagree here with you @BirdBrain. Since KY went to 3 man crews a few years ago, I don't think the calling has gotten any better, and I actually think one can make an argument that it might have gotten a little worse. Just stating the way I see it. The theory behind having 3 refs is obvious...more eyes should capture more stuff and/or see it more clearly resulting in more correct calls. And, in theory it should be better to have 6 eyes watching rather than 4. However, I think there is a factor of un-intended consequences going on. My theory...and I will get slammed for this I'm sure...but I really think that in many cases, adding that 3rd ref has made the tri-group of refs as a whole hesitate to make calls...the thinking being that "hey, not sure about that, so I won't blow my whistle, I'm sure one of the other guys will if (insert foul/violation) happened". Why do I think that? I swear I think there are more fouls/violations NOT called today than when 2 man crews were the rule. And it may not be that it's all because of inherently bad refs...but may be the rule of un-intended consequences rearing it's head making perfectly good refs hesitate to blow the whistle. Thoughts?

I'm gonna disagree here with you @BirdBrain. Since KY went to 3 man crews a few years ago, I don't think the calling has gotten any better, and I actually think one can make an argument that it might have gotten a little worse. Just stating the way I see it. The theory behind having 3 refs is obvious...more eyes should capture more stuff and/or see it more clearly resulting in more correct calls. And, in theory it should be better to have 6 eyes watching rather than 4. However, I think there is a factor of un-intended consequences going on. My theory...and I will get slammed for this I'm sure...but I really think that in many cases, adding that 3rd ref has made the tri-group of refs as a whole hesitate to make calls...the thinking being that "hey, not sure about that, so I won't blow my whistle, I'm sure one of the other guys will if (insert foul/violation) happened". Why do I think that? I swear I think there are more fouls/violations NOT called today than when 2 man crews were the rule. And it may not be that it's all because of inherently bad refs...but may be the rule of un-intended consequences rearing it's head making perfectly good refs hesitate to blow the whistle. Thoughts?

 

It's a completely different game that is entirely too fast and big for a 2 man crew. Bigger, stronger, faster bodies mean worse angles and more coverage.

 

Because the game has changed so dramatically I believe you would see 2 man crews that lack the ability to physically keep up with the game, calling more calls in trail, out of position and certainly more overuse injuries.

 

You could be correct about hesitancies but overall you see the game better with a 3 person crew and it does't beat you up nearly as much.

Well I'm tired of playing high school talk with you "Birdman" I'm sure people may say something but they keep it to themselves.It probably wouldn't be smart in the heat of the moment anyways. I know I probably wouldn't say anything to another fan that was all caught up in the heat of the moment. It usually doesn't end well for one. Some probably think it but they don't really say it.Beam on!

 

Birdbrain….it's Birdbrain….please try to keep up……I'm crushed….

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.