Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Baseball etiquette...

Featured Replies

Never in my life have I seen players yelling at the opposing teams' hitters. I saw it all the time this year and I couldn't believe coaches allowed it. Also, as an umpire hearing the infield yell, "batter, batter, batter" gets real old. IMO it's bush and kids doing it is absurd.

  • Author
Are you talking about highschool or tee-ball?

 

 

Early high school. The kids I umpired were mostly freshman and 8th graders. A lot played for the HS. I saw it at younger levels too, but I thought it was more significant at that age level. Regardless of the age a coach/manager needs to not let it occur.

That is differently something that shouldn't be happening at that level of play.

That is differently something that shouldn't be happening at that level of play.

 

Was this a golf match, or a baseball game. :banana: :banana:

 

Come on guys. I could see if they were talking dirty about the batters girlfriend, but "Batter, Batter, Batter" is something that kids are taught in T-ball. Haven't you ever heard a coach say "Come on infield, lets hear some chatter". Keeps kids head in the game.

Was this a golf match, or a baseball game. :banana: :banana:

 

Come on guys. I could see if they were talking dirty about the batters girlfriend, but "Batter, Batter, Batter" is something that kids are taught in T-ball. Haven't you ever heard a coach say "Come on infield, lets hear some chatter". Keeps kids head in the game.

 

:thumb:

 

But God forbid, that in this "feel good, everyone gets a trophy or participation medal" society that an opposing team might yell out some chatter towards the other team. :cry: Oh my, learn to win and learn to be defeated. I guess instead of the chatter, we can go on listening to all the "cheers" and/or songs or whatever you call them that kids nowadays do at games instead of some good ole "chatter" BOO HOO!!! All, by the way this is IMO by the way.

I'm not necessarily married to the "Batter, Batter, Batter" chant, but are we seriously asking that infields knock off chatter because the Ump may get sick of hearing it? Wow.

 

Talk it up boys, come on now one time.

I find nothing wrong with it at all. It is part of the game, as long as it doesn't cross the line of good manners. In fact, I wish more teams would chatter it up. Far to quiet on the diamond this past season to suit me......

I find nothing wrong with it at all. It is part of the game, as long as it doesn't cross the line of good manners. In fact, I wish more teams would chatter it up. Far to quiet on the diamond this past season to suit me......

 

:thumb: Well said:ylsuper:

I don't think chatter on the infield is bad at all.The thing I don't really like is a few teams when they are at bat start all yelling together to try and disrupt the opposing pitcher as he starts to pitch.Every pitch they make as much noise as they can on every batter.Funny though you didn't hear them when they were in the field at all.

There's a difference between "chatter" and "jawing". I think that's where many become confused. Chatter's fine, jawing is not...at least on my field.

Blame the coaches. Kids will get away with whatever they are allowed to get away with.

There's a difference between "chatter" and "jawing". I think that's where many become confused. Chatter's fine, jawing is not...at least on my field.
I agree and never liked, or tolerated the dugout comments/chants while a Pitcher was preparing to throw, than silence....after the delivery.

 

:irked:

I agree and never liked, or tolerated the dugout comments/chants while a Pitcher was preparing to throw, than silence....after the delivery.

 

:irked:

 

:thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.