Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Baseball etiquette...

Featured Replies

There's a difference between "chatter" and "jawing". I think that's where many become confused. Chatter's fine, jawing is not...at least on my field.

 

:cry: And I just got finished with Smack Talking 101 with my son. Now I have to go back and de-program him.

I don't mind a little bench jockeying going on as long as its clean. There's a line that most high school coaches know to not allow their team to cross.

 

The issue at hand is more of a "youth league" issue. I personally would tell my players to cease with the "batter batter" crap. If that's all my players can come with , I'd rather they just shut up.

My son played in an All-Star tounament in Cookeville, Tn last weekend (12 and under) and one of the teams did the most annoying chant. Half the team when in the field would yell Hey and the rest would answer with Yep. They sounded like the Budweiser Frogs or something. That being said as long as the chatter isn't personal or obscene its just part of the game, its not like yelling when a golfer is putting or something. The kids are playing for fun if they like it so be it...However the umps are being paid, if it isn't personal or obscene to the other team or directed at the umps they should just deal with it. What if the pitcher uttered a gutteral grunt that annoyed the umps everytime he threw the ball, should he get the boot. Live with it.

One of the best chant phrases I've heard, is used by a successful youth program in the Western part of Kentucky.

 

One player begins by saying "Hit it to me"....then as many teammates in the field, will follow with the same comment. It seems to help their concentration and prepares them to be in an athletic position, to begin their footwork or creeping to the ready position.

 

Another chant used, is simply "Ssssh", one player begins and all the remaining position players chant individually....helps them concentrate on the pitch, while also listening.

 

I have no problem with either of these.

  • Author
Was this a golf match, or a baseball game. :banana: :banana:

 

Come on guys. I could see if they were talking dirty about the batters girlfriend, but "Batter, Batter, Batter" is something that kids are taught in T-ball. Haven't you ever heard a coach say "Come on infield, lets hear some chatter". Keeps kids head in the game.

 

 

And ten years ago it was bush league to everyone. Has something changed? Batter, better, swing is backyard stuff.

  • Author
I'm not necessarily married to the "Batter, Batter, Batter" chant, but are we seriously asking that infields knock off chatter because the Ump may get sick of hearing it? Wow.

 

Talk it up boys, come on now one time.

 

 

Coaches with class also got agitated. Talk it up is fine, but talk to your pitcher not the other team. Yelling to try to interfere with the batter is simply no class and these kids are being taught otherwise.

There's a difference between "chatter" and "jawing". I think that's where many become confused. Chatter's fine, jawing is not...at least on my field.

 

 

Agree 100%! Talking to a batter is one thing, but poking fun of him or his family is another! I coached Little League last year and pulled a kid from the game for talking about another boys grandmother, who was deaf... Where do kids learn this from?

Agree 100%! Talking to a batter is one thing, but poking fun of him or his family is another! I coached Little League last year and pulled a kid from the game for talking about another boys grandmother, who was deaf... Where do kids learn this from?
99.9%....at Home.

There are things players are encouraged to say over and over as an intimidation tactic against the other team. You fans,players,coaches, and umpires that have been there know what I mean. There is no room for that crap in this game. That is how hostile feelings begin with programs. It is an uppity obnoxious tactic. It is a DIRECT REFLECTION of the coaching staff.

Talking your players "up" is much more effective than talking the other teams players "down."

Talking your players "up" is much more effective than talking the other teams players "down."
....and it keeps them mentally focused on each pitch.

 

:thumb:

  • Author
There are things players are encouraged to say over and over as an intimidation tactic against the other team. You fans,players,coaches, and umpires that have been there know what I mean. There is no room for that crap in this game. That is how hostile feelings begin with programs. It is an uppity obnoxious tactic. It is a DIRECT REFLECTION of the coaching staff.

 

 

Thank you!!!! That is exactly what I was trying to say, but I couldn't have made it sound so good.

You root for your team, and you root for yours should be covered in every pregame ground rules meeting.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.