Newport Central Catholic 36 Bishop Brossart 30

If they were to change, you would see students leave St. Joe's Cold Spring and St. Mary for St. Thomas and St. Therese. You know as well as most that most families that live in Cold Spring and Alexandria have their mind made up on where their kids will go to high school. If they can't send kids from St. Joe's to NewCath, they will "change" parishes.

You are 100% correct! Happened in the past when they charged more for "out of district" students to go to NCC. Yes and I have no problem with the set up and in fact support it and you have 2 strong Catholic schools at both ends of the county. I just get frustrated with the "we are better than you" attitude of SOME folk and their desire to look down upon Brossart. NCC's strong tradition and family ties is what you talk about when you say families have their minds made up where their kids go long before high school.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll say it, while I respect Brossart and their hard-nosed approach, it is ugly and boring. They have to do what they have to do, but it isn't fun to watch.

What did NC do differently than Brossart, in that their game wasn't "ugly and boring"? What was so "fun to watch" about the Breds game? They only scored 36.

In reference to the shot clock, NC was the one who chose to take the air out of the ball in the third quarter (tho briefly). Just curious.

What did NC do differently than Brossart, in that their game wasn't "ugly and boring"? What was so "fun to watch" about the Breds game? They only scored 36.

In reference to the shot clock, NC was the one who chose to take the air out of the ball in the third quarter (tho briefly). Just curious.

NewCath played Brossart's game. They were always going to play differently without Hall. However, they open it up quite a bit normally.

NewCath played Brossart's game. They were always going to play differently without Hall. However, they open it up quite a bit normally.

So with Hall the plan is to run and gun and not play the press, trap and tight man to man defense they displayed against Brossart?

Are you messing with me? With Hall the offense is more dynamic, more penetrating. Defensively, nothing changes.

Haven't seen him play but I assumed that the defense wouldn't change. Not sure how NCC altered their game plan without him. It took both teams a lot of time to get into their sets and run them due to the great D. Many times both teams had to reset the offense. When teams only scores 30 and 36 points not a lot of chances to run.

Haven't seen him play but I assumed that the defense wouldn't change. Not sure how NCC altered their game plan without him. It took both teams a lot of time to get into their sets and run them due to the great D. Many times both teams had to reset the offense. When teams only scores 30 and 36 points not a lot of chances to run.

IN my opinion (and that amounts to about nothing) Brossart would have had a much more difficult time containing Hall as opposed to how they did without him in the line up. Hall adds a dimension of speed and shooting as well as ball handling that makes their offense really potent.

Hall was replaced by committee. You never know how someone will play unless they are given the chance to prove themselves. In some cases its more about match ups than anything. We'll never know the outcome of the game if Hall played, probably the same, but different match ups do change games.

IN my opinion (and that amounts to about nothing) Brossart would have had a much more difficult time containing Hall as opposed to how they did without him in the line up. Hall adds a dimension of speed and shooting as well as ball handling that makes their offense really potent.

Yes, this. Hall can penetrate with the ball, so they can run and gun on offense. Without Hall, they cannot penetrate, so it's all perimeter passing until they find an open man or go inside to Weyer. NCC is traditionally known for a fast game, up the floor as quick as possible. Brossart is traditionally known for bringing it up the court slowly, passing a lot, and in turn, intentionally slowing down the other team. So when teams play Brossart, the scores tend to be lower, which is fine. Teams typically "play down" to their style and their defense is usually quite good so they can hang with anyone using this method.

NCC and Brossart play different styles of ball, but they're both great programs with a lot of upside. Nothing but respect for both. No one should disparage one while trying to bring up the other.

Sorry. I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or asking for a real answer. Never know with your sense of humor.

Yes, this. Hall can penetrate with the ball, so they can run and gun on offense. Without Hall, they cannot penetrate, so it's all perimeter passing until they find an open man or go inside to Weyer. NCC is traditionally known for a fast game, up the floor as quick as possible. Brossart is traditionally known for bringing it up the court slowly, passing a lot, and in turn, intentionally slowing down the other team. So when teams play Brossart, the scores tend to be lower, which is fine. Teams typically "play down" to their style and their defense is usually quite good so they can hang with anyone using this method.

NCC and Brossart play different styles of ball, but they're both great programs with a lot of upside. Nothing but respect for both. No one should disparage one while trying to bring up the other.

UH.......we cannot agree on something? Isnt that a rule??? :clap:

THIS!

You are 100% correct! Happened in the past when they charged more for "out of district" students to go to NCC. Yes and I have no problem with the set up and in fact support it and you have 2 strong Catholic schools at both ends of the county. I just get frustrated with the "we are better than you" attitude of SOME folk and their desire to look down upon Brossart. NCC's strong tradition and family ties is what you talk about when you say families have their minds made up where their kids go long before high school.

I don't believe that there ever was a charge for "out of district" students to go to NCC. NCC tuition was the same for any student registered in a Parish in Campbell Co. As was mentioned earlier there would be a rush of Parish-jumping if ever such a charge would be put in place. And this isn't Russia Danny to quote Ty in Caddyshack. I don't think any private school owns any students or can tell the parents where they "have to" send their child.