HS coaches and AAU

Are high school coaches, at any level, allowed to coach kids in AAU that attend their high school?

In researching KHSAA, it appears bylaw 24 states they can not coach them during the dead period.

However, in talking to several HS coaches, the consensus seems to be, no, you can not coach your own kids in AAU, at any level, or at any time (during and for AAU purposes).

I need clarity.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are high school coaches, at any level, allowed to coach kids in AAU that attend their high school?

In researching KHSAA, it appears bylaw 24 states they can not coach them during the dead period.

However, in talking to several HS coaches, the consensus seems to be, no, you can not coach your own kids in AAU, at any level, or at any time (during and for AAU purposes).

I need clarity.

If true this should add to a already very interesting situation brewing! I will hang up and listen.....

You are allowed to coach up to 3 of your own kids. Back in my days as a HS coach' date=' that rule was created and the girls head coach at Logan County coached 3 of his girls during the AAU season.[/quote']

Are you saying the KHSAA created the rule? I have not seen it in their rules.

Are you saying the KHSAA created the rule? I have not seen it in their rules.

All I know is that the Logan girls coach told me it had been changed and he could coach. Maze Stallworth coaches a couple of Casey County kids on Manimal and has for a few years. If it were an issue, I'd think the KHSAA would have said so by now.

All I know is that the Logan girls coach told me it had been changed and he could coach. Maze Stallworth coaches a couple of Casey County kids on Manimal and has for a few years. If it were an issue, I'd think the KHSAA would have said so by now.

My point is that I have not heard there's a limit on how many kids.

Check Bylaw 23 also. Head coach can not coach own team after season is over during school days. They can coach after school is out or June 1, which ever comes first. Can not coach or be in attendance at games during dead period of own player is playing. For example: volleyball AAU nationals are during the dead period, a head coach could not be at the nationals coaching his AAU team if there are players from his team also playing. Most head coaches will do Middle School age groups because of different times for national tournaments.

Not supposed to be able to coach your players until schools is out then you can. This includes anyone on staff that is paid or a representative of the school. You can however coach your son or daughter on a team.

Doesn't Tricia Macke coach the Houston kid at Holy Cross?

If I'm thinking is right and the Bylaw stated is true, then someone has some explaining to do.

Royals AAU Team

Tricia Macke is the coach and her Son plays for the team.

Troy Houston is also a coach and his Son also plays for the team.

Macke=Macke

Houston=Houston

Holy Cross Freshman team

Tricia Macke is the Head Coach and her son plays for the team in which the Bylaw states is aloud. Troy Houston is also on staff at HC for the Freshman team and also has a son on the team which is also aloud.

But how do you explain

Macke=Houston

Houston=Macke

Not good if Bylaw is correct.