Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Asthma Attack Leads To Suspensions

Featured Replies

  • Replies 30
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. They're impossible for administrators to deal with and reflect a complete lack of common sense on the part of decision-makers, school boards, and parent groups that seem to need them in place.

Makes you wonder what would happen if a student overdosed on heroin and another student was able to revive him or her with their own, prescribed Narcan kit.

Agreed. They're impossible for administrators to deal with and reflect a complete lack of common sense on the part of decision-makers, school boards, and parent groups that seem to need them in place.

 

I have mixed feelings, you can't have kids sharing medications.

I have mixed feelings, you can't have kids sharing medications.

 

I don't disagree. The problem is rules with zero tolerance enforcement that have no leeway for those enforcing. It allows for no subtlety or subjective analysis on the part of exactly the people who are put in a place to make those sort of decisions.

 

I don't like them in a courtroom and I ESPECIALLY don't like them in a classroom.

Here Lies Common Sense

Rest In Peace

 

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. RIP

 

No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. Common Sense will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as ‘knowing when to come in out from the rain’; ‘Why the early bird gets the worm’; ‘Life isn’t always fair’; and ‘Maybe it was my fault’.

 

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies, don’t spend more than you earn and adults, not children are in charge. His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6 yr old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

 

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirinto a student; but could inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

 

Common Sense lost the will to live as churches becames businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn’t defend yourself from a burglar in your own home but the burglar could sue you for assault.

 

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

 

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife Discretion, his daughter Responsbility, his son Reason and his dog Morals. He is survived by his stepbrothers; I Know My Rights; I Want It Now; Someone Else Is To Blame; and I’m A Victim.

 

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. -Karen Brand Roy -

I don't disagree. The problem is rules with zero tolerance enforcement that have no leeway for those enforcing. It allows for no subtlety or subjective analysis on the part of exactly the people who are put in a place to make those sort of decisions.

 

I don't like them in a courtroom and I ESPECIALLY don't like them in a classroom.

 

We agree, as a society we have to hire good teachers, school administrators, police officers, Prosecutors/Judges (elect/appoint) and let each of those people have meaningful discretion.

I have mixed feelings, you can't have kids sharing medications.

 

i agree. This was an emergent situation though. One kid with asthma seeing another one struggle to breathe. It would be a natural instinct with the best of intentions. On the other hand, inhalers are prescriptions. I would hope the urgency of the situation would outweigh a well intentioned lapse in judgement. The girls are only 12.

I dumb, therefore I am.

i agree. This was an emergent situation though. One kid with asthma seeing another one struggle to breathe. It would be a natural instinct with the best of intentions. On the other hand, inhalers are prescriptions. I would hope the urgency of the situation would outweigh a well intentioned lapse in judgement. The girls are only 12.

I'd bet a good attorney would somehow get a good samaritan case going on this one and the school district would suffer if they didn't recant the suspension

They were not passing around Adderall.

 

Save a life or get suspended. Seems correct choice was made.

 

The question to the school is - is it better to die or let someone die in such a circumstance?

What if the child would have died due to an allergy to the inhaler?

(That may not be possible)

 

Point is school has to cover its butt. If an arbitrator decides the punishment is too harsh then great come back to school.

 

Kids can't pass around medication. (repeating)

They're called "rescue inhalers" for a reason.

What if the child would have died due to an allergy to the inhaler?

(That may not be possible)

 

Point is school has to cover its butt. If an arbitrator decides the punishment is too harsh then great come back to school.

 

Kids can't pass around medication. (repeating)

 

All rescue inhalers are albuterol inhalers. ProAir, Proventil, and Ventolin are interchangeable. In fact many MDs write for their RXs "Albuterol HFA, sub per formulary" as all 3 are the same and insurances often only cover 1.

If I am not mistaken neither student have yet served any time in the alternative school or suspension?

 

I am okay with a school having to check into everything and go through this process. But I'm going to guess that all punishments will be waved, at least I hope.

 

The parents of the girl who took the inhaler are okay with it, and even stated that her asthma has caused her to be in ICU? Not sure if the parent meant the ER.

 

I see the seriousness in this, but I am hoping it works out for both of these girls.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.