Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Incoming Freshman

Featured Replies

So, are you saying that middle school basketball teams should not participate in a tournament that gets them more experience playing teams from around the state and more exposure for their players?

 

Also, R.A Jones played in a postseason tournament that featured many of the teams from the Diocese of Covington. In fact, they were the only public school invited and they were runner-up in the tournament. They beat at least 5 schools to advance to the finals, including St. Henry, St. Joes, and St. Pius. From what I understand, Blessed Sacrament, who won this tournament, was one of the better 8th grade teams in the private sector and they did participate in the middle school state tournament.

No i'm saying every year a supporter for Boone and Dixie tell us how well there middle schools faired in these tournaments, and how they will be a top team in the state, then 4 years later nothing happens.

  • Replies 64
  • Views 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No i'm saying every year a supporter for Boone and Dixie tell us how well there middle schools faired in these tournaments, and how they will be a top team in the state, then 4 years later nothing happens.

I agree. I really don,t think you can look at an 8th grade team and tout them as anything more than a good 8th grade team. Sure one can say they could have a promising future, but to say an 8th grade team will be competing for the state title in 4 years is a bit overboard. There are too many variables to do this. Kids leave. Kids decide to play other sports. Some kids are more mature at that age, so one that dominates at that level may not at the next level. You can go on and on about this. Hopefully we will have someone competing for a title ( be a nice change) But until they are a little more along in their careers we shouldn't hang the can't miss on them.

I saw many of the games at the middle school state tournament at SOAS in Florence, including games played by Virgie and Dorton. I know at least 3 of the 5 players you mentioned played for their 8th grade middle school team in that tournament. So are you saying that 3 of these players played both varsity and for their 8th grade tournament? If so, that really should be looked at for future middle school state tournaments. I thought once a player played at the varsity level they were not eligible to play on any other team. Is that correct?
I am talking about 5 of the best incoming freshmen and you are trying to put them down? KHSAA doesn't kick in untill 9th grade.
I am talking about 5 of the best incoming freshmen and you are trying to put them down? KHSAA doesn't kick in untill 9th grade.

 

No, I don't believe I was trying to put them down. I just think if a player is good enough to play on their varsity team, why are they playing in an 8th grade tournament? I know many middle school conferences, including the BKAC, do not allow players to play for both the middle school and the high school. If they have any game time played at the high school level, all games they played in at the middle school level will be forfeited. They have to decide at the beginning of the year which team they will play on. I guess I don't understand why this is not regulated more.

No, I don't believe I was trying to put them down. I just think if a player is good enough to play on their varsity team, why are they playing in an 8th grade tournament? I know many middle school conferences, including the BKAC, do not allow players to play for both the middle school and the high school. If they have any game time played at the high school level, all games they played in at the middle school level will be forfeited. They have to decide at the beginning of the year which team they will play on. I guess I don't understand why this is not regulated more.
You must have got beat. If you check it out a lot of 8th graders played high school ball.

The Rockcastle County freshman seem to have a lot of athleticism and talent. They have been holding their own quite well in the AAU circuit over the past few years. By the time they are seniors, they have a great shot at winning the 12th Region.

 

Some of their top players.......

 

center - D. Thacker 6'5", 240

forward - A. Prewitt 6'2", 165

forward - M. Bullens 5'11", 160

guard/forward - D. Bishop 6'1", 160

guard - D. Reynolds 5'11", 130

guard - J. Todd 5'9", 135

 

....also with a deep bench.

Some of the kids on this team could be sleepers. They have the potential to be rated as some of the top individual freshman players in the state.

 

How does the rest of the 12th region freshman class look????

I think Aaron Watts of McCreary Central will be one of the best freshman in the state. He led the team in scoring as a 8th grader with 20+ ppg. They bring in a group of freshman that are talented, but maybe not as talented as many other schools. They bring in a couple of "bigs" around 6'4-6'5, I am thinking. They have a couple great guards, but they're small.

 

I think McCreary Central can really make a run at the regional championship this year. One of the best shooters in the state in Josh Bartley will return for his senior season. He had knee surgery earlier this year but should be ready well in time for the season to start.

There are some good incoming freshmen at jbs and shelby valley.

Gilan ..... was in Henry Clay's District but I've heard he might be going to Rose Hill, prep school in Ohio or MMI.

The Shaw kid that is the younger brother of Enrique (going to Mich St for football) is a player too. I think he is going to Dunbar or Laffyette.

Vance Hall - Franklin County

 

Fundamentally sound, great ball handler, drives to the basket and shoots the three. Tenacious defender. Fearless competitor.

 

Has proved himself against top competition.

 

Is a true freshman unlike many of the holdbacks that are touted as tops in the state. He will catch up and surpass many of the older and more physically mature freshman over the next couple of years.

The Watts kid from McCreary Central is very good. As an 8th grader playing varsity he averaged over 20 per game. He is very quick, strong, handles the ball well, has nice hops and can shoot the 3. He looks like he is going to be in the 6-3 200lb size range.

 

He will be the best player in the 12th region this season as a freshman.

The Watts kid from McCreary Central is very good. As an 8th grader playing varsity he averaged over 20 per game. He is very quick, strong, handles the ball well, has nice hops and can shoot the 3. He looks like he is going to be in the 6-3 200lb size range.

 

He will be the best player in the 12th region this season as a freshman.

 

There's no doubt he'll be the best freshman in the region this year, if not the best player. I would assume that he would keep growing, but I don't see 200lbs. He'll probably 6'2-6'4 and maybe 180. He has an amazing driving-the-lane ability and can nail the three consistantly. He should be the difference maker in a lot of the Raiders' games this year.

There's no doubt he'll be the best freshman in the region this year, if not the best player. I would assume that he would keep growing, but I don't see 200lbs. He'll probably 6'2-6'4 and maybe 180. He has an amazing driving-the-lane ability and can nail the three consistantly. He should be the difference maker in a lot of the Raiders' games this year.

 

My AAU team played the McCreary 8th graders with Watts this spring. We tried to double team him everywhere but he put 26 on us. My kids felt bad about it until we found out that he put 24 on a varsity team earlier. He went 15 for 16 from the free throw line. He was the best 8th grader I saw this year.

Tate Cox and Ashley Hatfeild are 2 very good freshman.

You cant forget about Turner from Harrison co. He got tougher wen playing middle school basketball and he should definitly be on this list.He is about 6 foot even and weighs 200 but most of it looks like muscle. His numbers dont lie. He averaged about 16 to 18 points per game and he rebounded about 10 a game. So you cant leave him out. Plus this kid scored like 20 against Mason Co. If you get a chance watch this kid play. The only thing thats holding this kid back is his injury he had in his 8th grade year. Separated his growth plate but he should do better in high school. I expect a lot out of this kid!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.