Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best zebras in the 10th

Featured Replies

I dont know if they do anymore games or not, but those Snapp boys from Augusta you do a very good job at the junior high level... Maybe someone from Augusta can post and give us some insight on to whether or not they are still associated with officiating..

 

The Snapp boys were great...FOR AUGUSTA! Coach Hinson said there were some young up and coming officials doing exhibition games at Augusta that are great.

  • Replies 84
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That little Queen fellow is pretty solid.

John Chamberlain has the Sweet 16 appearances and he is very good and it doesn't matter where he refs at, the Lexington schools or the Deming/Augusta's of the world. He is a solid referee and a good man.

 

John "JT" Taylor is one of the best as well, easy to talk to and works the floor. As good as it gets!

 

Cary Lyle--great ref and great mechanics.

Gary Wilson--love his and 1 call!

Sherrianne Sheuy--does a very good job!

Eric Thornsbury is an up and comer.

Bill Carmichael--another very good official, nice man and will talk to a coach!

 

Just a few that are out there. The BBA is the best association in the state, hands down!

 

 

Is that the same Cary Lyle who officiates football in the 16th region for the Northeastern Kentuck Football Association? The Cary Lyle I'm thinking of is head honcho of conservation at Greenbo Lake. He also has a son named Cory. Is that the same Cary Lyle you speak of?

I have to disagree with the Joe Thompson quote. There are many things that go into being a good official and he lacked a couple of them, one being court awareness (clock starting/stopping on time ect).

 

The problems that stem between coaches and officials are that too many officials don't know how to really officiate a game, then when an official that does shows up, that official looks inept. In other words, there are alot more bads ones than good ones! Most of the good ones have moved up (college) or out because it is so difficult to overcome politics in some associations!

 

:devil:

 

 

I see where you are coming from. You may be disgruntled but not for the reason stripedshirt has stated. I know our local association is very political and it's even ran by a politician. It's gotten so bad that we continue to loose more and more officials every year. The assigning secretary knows that as long as he keeps the schools happy that his job is safe and most of the time it's the officials who pay the price. The officials are powerless against such. I think some officials are disgruntled and will be until politics are taken out of the equation,

CATSFAN can we assume you belong to the association you speak of or are you an outsider looking in?

CATSFAN can we assume you belong to the association you speak of or are you an outsider looking in?

 

 

Yes, I am. I am only speaking of that association and not any other in the state. There are many great associations and assigning secretaries throughout the state and I do not want people to think I'm speaking of them all. I only speak of the one I know about. I'm sorry if my post mislead anyone into thinking I was talking about the entire state.

We are in serious trouble of losing more and more officials for this reason. Yet we as officials are "stuck in the water" so to speak when it comes to doing anything about it. I'm speaking of our football association now( both b-ball and f-ball associations are assigning by the same person), we passed a new bylaw last year that stated we could nominate an assigner to the athletic council every year. Now, they don't have to listen to us but they at least know how we feel and we thought that was a step in the right direction as we try to make changes for the betterment of the association and it's officials. The council did not listen to us but for the 1st time ever it was not a unanimous vote this year.

We as an association can make changes for the better but we can only do so much until the assigning secretary is removed. As long as this assigner is here, we are stuck. It's a real shame when officials really want to get better and they go to camps and clinics throughout the year and during the season when, when they implement what they've learned, they are penalized on evaluations because the assigner still uses mechanics from the 70's because he does not put the time nor the effort to learn officiating. Then to top that off, the crews who to not go to these camps and clinics and who do things the way they want and not what the state says to do are rewarded for their actions and mechanics on the field. Supposedly in this association, 20% of your final ranking as a crew comes from evaluators and 80% comes from the coaches evaluation.... But, But, But the assigner does not show the coaches evaluation to anyone in the association thus allowing him to do whatever he wants to do. And when questioned and asked why he doesn't show them, he gives the excuse of "they hired me to do the job and I'll do it anyway I want, tough". I'll end things here because I could type for another hour about things. ..... But I will say this, we are headed in the right direction starting with this year. We have elected a president who has beed tremendous. He has done more to this date then any past pres had done their entire tenure as far as training and recruitment. I think he will continue to work hard to the betterment to the officials in the association. It is definately a start in the task of changing things. I hope we can get the job done. Again, I speak of only 1 association and not every association. Everyone is different and I'd say 90% of them are fair and ran with prestige, where high school sports and officiating fair are it;s main focus and not politics.

First let me say this......When I hear an official mention politics I immediately think they must be jealous of others. While I am not 100% sure this is not the case in your situation, I will say it seems like you are doing some good things in your association.

 

I want to make a couple points..........1) Regardless of who the assigner is, there will be those that cannot be satisfied. 2)Your associations passing of the by-law has absolutely no power. As you discovered, your policy board simply ignored your input. Seems like the officals point of view in such matters is never a factor. 3) Politics is most definitley at work but maybe not where you think. Usually it is not so much the association members as it is policy board representatives. Simply follow the $$$$. I think you will find out that the policy board is simply out to protect their own interests.

First let me say this......When I hear an official mention politics I immediately think they must be jealous of others. While I am not 100% sure this is not the case in your situation, I will say it seems like you are doing some good things in your association.

 

I want to make a couple points..........1) Regardless of who the assigner is, there will be those that cannot be satisfied. 2)Your associations passing of the by-law has absolutely no power. As you discovered, your policy board simply ignored your input. Seems like the officials point of view in such matters is never a factor. 3) Politics is most definitley at work but maybe not where you think. Usually it is not so much the association members as it is policy board representatives. Simply follow the $$$$. I think you will find out that the policy board is simply out to protect their own interests.

 

I'm not trying to prove my point to you nor I have stated everything that has happened. This is not only an issue with me it is an issue with 95% of the association. On your points, we knew that the athletic council did not have to and probably would not listen to us but at least they know where we stand on the matter and it did do SOME good. Our president also put together a pretty strong case for them to hire someone else and that did SOME good as well. For the 1st time ever, it was not a unanimous vote in favor of rehire. So they did not ignore our input like you stated and it is a shame that the officials input are not taken into consideration during the process. Second, I have no doubt that the board is protecting their interests. But $$$ has nothing to do with hiring the assigner, for he doesn't make them money nor loose them money. I could go on and on with things that have happened over the years. When I first started officiating 12 years ago we have 70+ officials and now we are down to 40+ and that's just because we added 6 this year. I think that says alot right there. I myself refuse to let someone push me out of something I love to do but some guys feels like it's not worth all the things that happen and all the politics. We will continue to loose officials until a change is made. So you can say we're jealous or whatever, we only have to prove our point to a select few on the council and we won't stop till either we make the change or our association disbands. I would expect you to be skeptical but I don't have all day to list all of the things being done in our association but it is politics.... Not in the athletic council but by our assigner. It all boils down to that.

My friend you are wrong if you believe money has nothing to do with it.....While the assigner may not directly effect the income of the schools he is a tool used by them to protect what they do have. If you dont believe me, investigate it a bit further.........find out who voted to rehire your assigner and see if they are not the ones with the most to lose. They want to make sure their schools are taken care of so they have to keep someone in the position of assigner that they can keep their thumb on.

 

Keep in mind it is not too difficult to figure out which association in the state you are speaking. Not to many assigners do football and basketball.

My friend you are wrong if you believe money has nothing to do with it.....While the assigner may not directly effect the income of the schools he is a tool used by them to protect what they do have. If you dont believe me, investigate it a bit further.........find out who voted to rehire your assigner and see if they are not the ones with the most to lose. They want to make sure their schools are taken care of so they have to keep someone in the position of assigner that they can keep their thumb on.

 

Keep in mind it is not too difficult to figure out which association in the state you are speaking. Not to many assigners do football and basketball.

 

 

It's not about money here, for once. You may believe it is because most of the time it's all about money. Maybe a small bit but it's not the main reason. The main reason of the constant rehire is because the assigner protects their interest. That's what politics are all about.They know if they keep him he'll do "favors" for them or their coaches during the season. And while not every member of the council is like that, I'd say there are a few who are. I understand that and that may be something we as an association must live with but it's the other things done by our assigner that we can not. The association is divided between a small group of people aginst the other 95% and it's because of the assigner's action and lack of respect. You don't know the entire story so I don't expect you to sympathize with us. Nor do I expect you to understand the situation. It's a situation you must be a part of to realize everything that has happened to our members.

As a person that has had many dealings with officials, let me say that it is a widely held belief among the coaches that the Bluegrass Association is the very best association in this area.

 

I have also been part of a discussion on switching officials at region time with another region and it was the belief of the group I was in that we would see the quality of officiating decline compared to the regular season. Why give up the sake of good quality officials to appease someone in an APPEARANCE of partiality.

I guess it is a moot point since UKCATSFAN is talking about his football association anyway..........Probably a topic worth discussing further but in another forum.

I guess it is a moot point since UKCATSFAN is talking about his football association anyway..........Probably a topic worth discussing further but in another forum.

 

 

I'm also talking about basketball. I was talking mostly about the F-ball association because it's in the worst shape but the B-ball association is having similiar problems. It's hard to tell someone what's truly happening in a forum such as this. If you're not part of the situation yourself it's very difficult to understand and even more difficult not be skeptical about it. I realize this and that's why I understand your opinions. I guess it's something you have to see to believe.

As a person that has had many dealings with officials, let me say that it is a widely held belief among the coaches that the Bluegrass Association is the very best association in this area.

 

I have also been part of a discussion on switching officials at region time with another region and it was the belief of the group I was in that we would see the quality of officiating decline compared to the regular season. Why give up the sake of good quality officials to appease someone in an APPEARANCE of partiality.

 

 

Is this in reference to my posts?

Does anything you all are talking about refer to this topic?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.