How do the minor bowls make money?

ggclfan

I have watched bits of pieces of some of the bowl games to date and it seems like there is NOBODY in the stands at some of them. I cannot believe the TV ratings are that good for Washington - Southern Miss for example. It just amazes me that these games are profitable but I guess they must be. Does anyone know how the financing of these minor bowls work that they can have incredibly small crowds and still make money? Do they really get good TV revenue for Washington-Southern Miss or UC-SDSU?

TV deals / rights are done on multi-year contracts, so bad TV numbers impact the renewal, not the original deal. Every school has to buy X-amount of tickets. Most schools lose their back-side on bowl games, but the exposure is worth it. Much like advancing in the NCAA tourney and schools having to eat very expensive ticket books if they don't sell enough. George Mason lost several hundred thousand dollars on their Final Four run, but then made it up with millions of dollars in increased giving to their Athletic foundation.

TV deals / rights are done on multi-year contracts, so bad TV numbers impact the renewal, not the original deal. Every school has to buy X-amount of tickets. Most schools lose their back-side on bowl games, but the exposure is worth it. Much like advancing in the NCAA tourney and schools having to eat very expensive ticket books if they don't sell enough. George Mason lost several hundred thousand dollars on their Final Four run, but then made it up with millions of dollars in increased giving to their Athletic foundation.

Man, I'd like to see those numbers cause I just can't fathom it costing anywhere near that much to do it.

Man, I'd like to see those numbers cause I just can't fathom it costing anywhere near that much to do it.

An article on the subject: Forbes Welcome

You can find many on the internet that talk about the cost of travel and purchasing Ticket Books that go unsold that the school has to guarantee. When Xavier made the Elite 8 run in WBB a few years ago the school lost well over $100,000 -- that was the joke each game, "who are we really rooting for?"

There is also a misconception with how many people watch the NCAA basketball tournament compared to the bowl games. I can't remember the numbers, but people watch the bowl games at a much higher rate.

Really depends on how you want to slice it up. It isn't apples to apples because so many of the March Madness games overlap one another, and all fall onto only 10 days (forgiving the First Four) versus the drawn out Bowl period. Last year 233 million people watched a bowl game, but that undoubtedly includes a TON of duplication. The NCAA Tourney had a little over 100 million people watch on TV, so yes, lower, but again, not apples to apples. The College Football Championship game was 33 million viewers, the NCAA Championship game had 28.3 million viewers (highest in 18 years).

The TV rights for March Madness totaled over $1.4 billion -- not sure on the Bowl total with 39 bowls last year, but I know that ESPN pays $470 million per year to air the three NCAA Football playoff games.

I remember seeing an ad on local TV for college age looking people to sit in student section for VCU, free ticket and t-shirt for just coming to game. I also they heard they were recruiting local high schools for fans.