Deputies: Fla. burglary suspect hiding in pond killed by 11-foot alligator

Wireman

Does anyone remember when Adam Carolla would play Florida or Germany on his show? It would always be bizarre events and you would have to guess where it happened.

I can tell you right now, I'm not getting in any lake in the state of Florida.

I have the same rule at Hilton Head. Unless it's a swimming pool, I'm not getting in any other fresh water on that island.

By David Harris of the Orlando Sentinel

BAREFOOT BAY, Fla.— A 22-year-old burglary suspect trying to evade authorities was killed by an 11-foot alligator last month, the Brevard County Sheriff's Office said.

Deputies said Matthew Riggins drowned as a result of the gator attack. He was missing his lower extremities and part of an arm, according to deputies.

While sheriff dive team members were recovering Riggins' body, they encountered a large gator "aggressively approaching" them.

The gator was trapped by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and euthanized.

"A forensic examination of the alligator located remains consistent with the injuries to Riggins inside the alligator's stomach," deputies said.

The other man who was with Riggins has been identified, but is not cooperating with the investigation. Deputies didn't say if he was charged.

This is the second death caused by an alligator this year. James Okkerse, 61, was killed in October after he was attacked by a 12-foot gator while swimming in Blue Spring State Park.

http://www.policeone.com/bizarre/articles/51249006-Deputies-Fla-burglary-suspect-hiding-in-pond-killed-by-11-foot-alligator/