Bluegrasspreps' Class 5A Rankings (11/2)

Ram

1. Bowling Green vs. Apollo

2. Pulaski County vs. Letcher County Central

3. Fern Creek vs. Bullitt Central

4. Owensboro vs. Grayson County

5. Christian County vs. Barren County

6. Highlands vs. Woodford County

7. South Oldham vs. Southern

8. Southwestern vs. Whitley County

9. Covington Catholic vs. Anderson County

10. Montgomery County vs. Dixie Heights

Bowling Green is still number one, can anyone knock them off or are they a lock to be in the State Championship Game? Will we see a Bowling Green/Pulaski County matchup to settle once and for all who number one is? Is Fern Creek capable of beating everyone on their way to the State Championship? Can Owensboro upset the Purples? Is Highlands poised for a deep playoff run?

I like the teams listed 1-6.

7. CovCath

8. Graves County

9. Madison Southern

10. South Oldham

Graves has 5 losses, but they are all to quality opponents. I would give them the same ranking love that HHS and CovCath get for playing a tough schedule.

Not sure how Southwestern is still ranked, and how Montgomery Co could be ahead of Madison Southern.

I'd have Owensboro ahead of Fern Creek and Greenwood slotted at #10. Minor quibbles though.

I agree colonel fan! Fern Creek's best win is against 2A Desales and a 10 point loss to 8-2 6A Manual. Owensboro's best wins are against 5A Christian County, 2A OCath, and 6A Henderson County and a 3 point loss at BG.

Also agree about Greenwood! Very solid team that stayed with BG for a half. Don't think Montgomery could do that.

But I'm splitting hairs I guess!

Graves has 5 losses, but they are all to quality opponents. I would give them the same ranking love that HHS and CovCath get for playing a tough schedule.

I think if Highlands and CovCath had played Graves County's schedule they would 8-2 at worst.

^^^^^ Maybe HHS would have faired better than Graves against their schedule, hence I had them ranked higher.

What about Southwestern, South Oldham, and Montgomery Co? How would they have done, better than 5-5?

South Oldham took a first game loss to an up and down Anderson County then went on a tear before losing a close game to a quality Shelby County team. Now their schedule was not the strongest, but it was about how they won more so then who they won against.

Southwestern is a quality team, they have lost one game they probably should have won and taken two big losses to very high quality opponents. They beat a quality Corbin team and beat Montgomery County by a good margin.

Montgomery County is a question mark at times, but has some quality wins over a previously undefeated North Laurel (yes, North Laurel played a weak schedule) and a win over an, again up and down, Anderson County.

To your question: would those teams faired better versus Highlands' schedule? Probably not better, I think they would have been very close to the exact same result. Sure the margins may have been different against some opponents, but they are comparable.

My question was would they have faired better versus unranked Graves Co's schedule. I believe they were 5-5.

Sorry about that, I though you meant verses Highlands' schedule.

I think they would have been close to the same result. Although, I could see Murray giving them some problems. I could see those teams playing Hopkinsville closer or beating them.

Owensboro has to be over Fern Creek. FC is good and have beaten DeSales, but Owensboro has beaten Christian County, Owensboro Catholic, Henderson County - in general just a much tougher schedule than Fern Creek. Owensboro lost by 3 @ BG and the defense only gave up 10 of those 17 points. Top 4 are the best teams though. I look forward to OHS getting Bowling Green at Rash Stadium in week 3!