Highlands 32 Boone County 6

Are you kidding me with this post. Why would they not feel any more or less confident based upon a game that meant absolutely nothing?

Kidding you? I wasn't even talking to you. Are you kidding me with that last sentence?

Maybe NKUisrg8 was kidding you, although I can't tell if he/she was addressing you either.

Now, in answer to your inquiry: because you want your team to be executing well when going into the playoffs. You try to peak at the end of the season.

Any coach I have ever been associated with would have been very unhappy with that performance by Highlands. It may indicate what people have been saying about Highlands this year--they are having a down year. They can't afford to have a bad game because they aren't that good of a team. Had they been playing well and consistent all season you may say, "Well, that was just a let-down because they were playing a winless team." Can't say that about them this year. That last game says, "We're mediocre and sometimes not even that."

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kidding you? I wasn't even talking to you. Are you kidding me with that last sentence?

Maybe NKUisrg8 was kidding you, although I can't tell if he/she was addressing you either.

Now, in answer to your inquiry: because you want your team to be executing well when going into the playoffs. You try to peak at the end of the season.

Any coach I have ever been associated with would have been very unhappy with that performance by Highlands. It may indicate what people have been saying about Highlands this year--they are having a down year. They can't afford to have a bad game because they aren't that good of a team. Had they been playing well and consistent all season you may say, "Well, that was just a let-down because they were playing a winless team." Can't say that about them this year. That last game says, "We're mediocre and sometimes not even that."

A mediocre team with 5 wins and a 1 seed. You do realize that their top defensive lineman did not even suit up correct? No probably not. It was pretty obvious what the coaching staff was trying to do and it was not what they had been doing the previous 4 games and I will leave it at that.

I fully expected HHS to dominate the Rebels in this game. The fact that they didn't doesn't change my opinion on how far I expect them to go in the playoffs.

The previous three weeks the Birds had been able to avoid turning the ball over. Turnovers are great equalizers in a game. HHS scored early because of a BC turnover then proceeded to give the ball back to BC with an interception, a fumble, and a punt that grazed an up back.

HHS did not handle the slick grass field very well also. A lot of slipping and sliding going on. Hergott specifically was having trouble with his footing.

Finally worth mentioning is that Tyler Robinson sat this game out nursing a minor injury. He is by far the biggest and best DLineman for the Birds. BC would have had their hands full trying to run between the tackles with Tyler over the nose. Without him on the field, BC was able to string together first downs and play keep away with ball.

I fully expected HHS to dominate the Rebels in this game. The fact that they didn't doesn't change my opinion on how far I expect them to go in the playoffs.

The previous three weeks the Birds had been able to avoid turning the ball over. Turnovers are great equalizers in a game. HHS scored early because of a BC turnover then proceeded to give the ball back to BC with an interception, a fumble, and a punt that grazed an up back.

HHS did not handle the slick grass field very well also. A lot of slipping and sliding going on. Hergott specifically was having trouble with his footing.

Finally worth mentioning is that Tyler Robinson sat this game out nursing a minor injury. He is by far the biggest and best DLineman for the Birds. BC would have had their hands full trying to run between the tackles with Tyler over the nose. Without him on the field, BC was able to string together first downs and play keep away with ball.

Where did a punt graze an upback? Not sure I remember seeing that one.

Honestly, because they are still running the same offense that they ran under Owen Hauck. Thought the QB threw a pretty nice ball and yet they rarely if ever throw Lineman are big and strong but do not move overly well, so most everything is run between the tackles. Would guess that when the surface is ideal, they may struggle a little with teams that are quicker than them both offensively and defensively.

You are right, speed creates problems for Boone. I know in this game, it seemed as if Boone was running Owen Hauck's offense (if he was still around it would still work). But it did work in this game. But Boone has spread it out more most of this season and that has not worked. And the last two years with coach Griff, it was more of a spread. But you have to do what your personnel allows. In this case, they need to run more of a power run game because that's what their personnel can do best. I had a local coach (from a different school) tell me Boone should run Doaw more and allow the line to open up holes. He told me that in the week leading up to the Highlands game. It seems like the Boone coaches had that same thought. The lineman aren't that big, but they are strong and I think they can open up holes for the between the tackles stuff. I thought Highlands D-line looked much bigger in comparison.

I don't think that the main issue at Boone is an outmoded offensive scheme. They tried a more wide-open attack under Griff and lost just as many games. This season, the passing game has not been that efficient. For now, the power run is what they are built for and they need to be creative off of that with the passing game. Daow powering the ball, Cahill with quick hitters off tackle or around the end, can set up the passing game to Douglas who then can outrun the opposition to the endzone. Easy right? The Boone coaches already know better than I what to do. It's getting it done...

This would be a concern in other years. Since HHS plays at home until they lose, grass surfaces in 2015 are a moot issue.