Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Strongest Defense in 3A

Featured Replies

Who has the strongest defense in Class 3A? If you go by points allowed, Henry County (69) and Elizabethtown (77) are the only schools that have allowed under 100 points. Boyle County, Central, Russell, Corbin and some others have been strong on that side as well.

 

So who do you think? And why?

Records....stats...can all be a little deceiving. When it's all said and done...IMO...the best TWO defensive teams in 3A will be Central and Belfry

I'll reserve judgment on Henry County's D until after this Friday vs Central. E-Town's schedule is also pretty soft. We might still be a few weeks away from getting an accurate read on their defense.

 

Central gave up 77 points in its first three games, but have only given up 36 in five games since. That includes giving up just 17 to St. X. They've got reputation on their side having fielded some great, championship winning defenses in recent years.

 

Russell's D is the one I know best. The Red Devils are allowing 14pts and 150ypg on the season. The one obvious black mark against them is the 49pts given up against Ashland. Aside from that game, Russell has allowed just 8pts and 128ypg to their other seven opponents. Schedule strength is a knock against the Devils.

 

Prior to last week, I would've gone with Boyle Co. Then they went out and got gashed for 400+ yards and a season high 31pts. In the end, I think they're still a good defensive team, though.

 

Right now, I'm leaning toward Corbin. They have common opponents with Boyle and Central. Corbin and Boyle each surrendered 20pts to Danville. Corbin and Central both allowed 6pts to Waggener. They also held Mayfield to its second lowest point output this season and held Southwestern(who's averaging 40ppg) to 14. They also held a Bell Co. team that had been averaging 42ppg in its previous five games to less than half that total.

Edited by DevilMayCare
Added stuff

Central is probably the best Defensive team.

 

Boyle County and Etown are both quite good but have not had to sharpen their teeth against overly proficient Offenses. Corbin is solid.

 

Belfry is probably the best in the Front 7, but their pass Defense has been suspect at best. Don't know if I would put them at the Top yet but I dont see a 3A team that will beat them running the ball.

People continue to knock Belfry's pass D but the only loss they had was to a run heavy O. They have faced some pass happy offenses all year. They might bend but don't break. Same as their offense, known forever as a run team but this year they have scored ( I think ) at least one td per game by passing.

I'll reserve judgment on Henry County's D until after this Friday vs Central. E-Town's schedule is also pretty soft. We might still be a few weeks away from getting an accurate read on their defense.

 

Central gave up 77 points in its first three games, but have only given up 36 in five games since. That includes giving up just 17 to St. X. They've got reputation on their side having fielded some great, championship winning defenses in recent years.

 

Russell's D is the one I know best. The Red Devils are allowing 14pts and 150ypg on the season. The one obvious black mark against them is the 49pts given up against Ashland. Aside from that game, Russell has allowed just 8pts and 128ypg to their other seven opponents. Schedule strength is a knock against the Devils.

 

Prior to last week, I would've gone with Boyle Co. Then they went out and got gashed for 400+ yards and a season high 31pts. In the end, I think they're still a good defensive team, though.

 

Right now, I'm leaning toward Corbin. They have common opponents with Boyle and Central. Corbin and Boyle each surrendered 20pts to Danville. Corbin and Central both allowed 6pts to Waggener. They also held Mayfield to its second lowest point output this season and held Southwestern(who's averaging 40ppg) to 14. They also held a Bell Co. team that had been averaging 42ppg in its previous five games to less than half that total.

 

I don't doubt that Corbin could be the best defense or Central or Belfry. But when comparing the Danville/Corbin experience with Boyle/Danville - The Rebels put a running clock on the Ads and the last two TD's scored by Danville were against the backups.

I don't doubt that Corbin could be the best defense or Central or Belfry. But when comparing the Danville/Corbin experience with Boyle/Danville - The Rebels put a running clock on the Ads and the last two TD's scored by Danville were against the backups.

 

Exactly.

If there's a tougher defense out there than Central, I want to see it.

I'll reserve judgment on Henry County's D until after this Friday vs Central. E-Town's schedule is also pretty soft. We might still be a few weeks away from getting an accurate read on their defense.

 

Central gave up 77 points in its first three games, but have only given up 36 in five games since. That includes giving up just 17 to St. X. They've got reputation on their side having fielded some great, championship winning defenses in recent years.

 

Russell's D is the one I know best. The Red Devils are allowing 14pts and 150ypg on the season. The one obvious black mark against them is the 49pts given up against Ashland. Aside from that game, Russell has allowed just 8pts and 128ypg to their other seven opponents. Schedule strength is a knock against the Devils.

 

Prior to last week, I would've gone with Boyle Co. Then they went out and got gashed for 400+ yards and a season high 31pts. In the end, I think they're still a good defensive team, though.

 

Right now, I'm leaning toward Corbin. They have common opponents with Boyle and Central. Corbin and Boyle each surrendered 20pts to Danville. Corbin and Central both allowed 6pts to Waggener. They also held Mayfield to its second lowest point output this season and held Southwestern(who's averaging 40ppg) to 14. They also held a Bell Co. team that had been averaging 42ppg in its previous five games to less than half that total.

 

For what it's worth The official statistics from the Boyle Catholic game were Boyle around 445 YDS and Catholic around 375 YDS I know Catholic scored 31 but they only had 17 points with a little over 4 minutes to go they had two big plays in the closing minutes first was a 50-60 yard bomb and last was a 55 yard hook and ladder play that was pretty much impossible to defend Boyle led 24 to 17 at that point in the game. IMO Boyle has as good a run defense as anybody in the state and their secondary will stand up against most passing teams in 3A and in their defense I doubt anyone else in 3A throws the ball as well as Catholic does I would put their receivers up against any other team in the state as a group.

Throw the ball against Central at your own peril. They aren't just looking for the pick, they are looking to take it all the way back to the house.

Exactly.

 

The last two Danville TDs Boyle had starters in. I was at that game. Boyle County fans always trying to make Boyle better than they are.

The last two Danville TDs Boyle had starters in. I was at that game. Boyle County fans always trying to make Boyle better than they are.

 

I was at game to and you are wrong.

Throw the ball against Central at your own peril. They aren't just looking for the pick, they are looking to take it all the way back to the house.

 

 

Central has returned 4 for TD's but defensively Boyle has better numbers.

The last two Danville TDs Boyle had starters in. I was at that game. Boyle County fans always trying to make Boyle better than they are.

 

Was it a running clock or not?

Central has returned 4 for TD's but defensively Boyle has better numbers.

 

Central has returned TWICE that number! 4 of them were called back. Also at least double digit forced fumbles.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.