Western Kentucky Power Ranking - 10/04/15

Purple88

Great article P88..... I think the rankings are most definitely fair and very accurate...BUT.... I know alot of people will disagree with me on this thread but I really look for #3 Mustangs to show up big in BG Oct 30th. They tend to play up or down to their competition and I think they have a chance to surprise some ppl and finish the season off #1 in the wky ... either way I hope it's a great game and maybe the start of a good series /rivalry between 2 good wky schools!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love what you do, but still don't get the BG over SW ranking.... BG has a loss to a Saint X team that there are still question marks about. SW is undefeated.... Seems pretty cut and dry. And don't gimme any BS about scores against similar opponents and etc unless you are willing to take injuries to key players in key positions into account. I think that the Purple faithful got to you, and convinced you to change your rankings at the first opportunity. And that is sad to me... Just like Sporting Times Magazine, you all are not giving other schools in Warren County any of the Exposure/notoriety that they deserve.... SMH!

DT I agree with you somewhat but BG is playing there best football of the year and they have a proven record so I can understand what DF is doing but,what happens when BG doesn't play great see if switches back but you may be right there are a few of the BG faithful that give him down the road.i for one appreciate his time and effort.

Love what you do, but still don't get the BG over SW ranking.... BG has a loss to a Saint X team that there are still question marks about. SW is undefeated.... Seems pretty cut and dry. And don't gimme any BS about scores against similar opponents and etc unless you are willing to take injuries to key players in key positions into account. I think that the Purple faithful got to you, and convinced you to change your rankings at the first opportunity. And that is sad to me... Just like Sporting Times Magazine, you all are not giving other schools in Warren County any of the Exposure/notoriety that they deserve.... SMH!

I can't speak for him, but I believe it is because Bowling Green beat their common opponent (Central Hardin) by 18 more points while only giving up one more field goal. Also BG has beaten two teams considered better than Central Hardin (Owensboro and Christian County, source: calpreps) while Central Hardin is SW's best opponent.

I was told by someone close to the program, that Adair has actually never been 7-0. They started 6-0 last year, but lost to SW. They might have been 6-0 many many years ago, but they've never been 7-0. I feel like this team would have to be considered the best team ever, because they're the only one to win this much to start the season.
Snake, this is great stuff.:thumb:

I am really pulling for the Indians to shock the 3A world and upset Etown in a couple weeks. Is it likely, no not really, but turnovers are the great equalizer.

Looks about right. Only thing that could be argued would be Hopkinsville above Christian Co. I know the Colonels just got beat pretty bad but the Tigers last game before this week was a Two TD (nearly 3) loss to the Colonels. The Colonels two losses are against teams in your top 4 and 2 of their wins are against teams ahead of them.

Always an interesting read though.:thumb:

Map, This is a good catch actually from the standpoint to reiterate that this ranking is fluid. Rankings in past weeks are just that in past weeks. Those wins (and loses) carry forward, but only to a degree. And I do realize just how good Owensboro is because I moved them up 1 last week in front of a Very good Mayfield squad who is still very good but didn't hit on all cylindars last week and Owensboro is ranked ahead of them in most other polls.

Lastly, I would have had to have kept them in front of Caldwell County as well based on your post because Christian beat Caldwell by 3 first game of the year. Hoping you can see my point:thumb:

Great article P88..... I think the rankings are most definitely fair and very accurate...BUT.... I know alot of people will disagree with me on this thread but I really look for #3 Mustangs to show up big in BG Oct 30th. They tend to play up or down to their competition and I think they have a chance to surprise some ppl and finish the season off #1 in the wky ... either way I hope it's a great game and maybe the start of a good series /rivalry between 2 good wky schools!!

Black, glad you chimed in! To be honest with you, McCracken County is the biggest mystery team on here to me, mostly because I've never seen them play in person and because of the loss to PTilghman and because of their district schedule (no fault of theirs) and their young coaching staff (who I am honestly very impressed with now). I'm not saying they aren't worthy of where they are; just that I don't have a solid feel for them.

That being said, I think they will definitely give BG a good game and could certainly beat them. I think at least some BG fans felt the first 4 games of the season would be the toughest because they were tough teams back to back. After that both Central Hardin and McCracken County were looked at as tough games. I too would like to see this series continue and as long as it doesn't turn "Blackman-esque", I anticipate it will:thumb: Best of luck to the Mustangs, but don't think you'll need it in district play.

Wonder if the new coach at Madisonville has anything good to say about the Hopkinsville QB now that the game is over? A rookie mistake.

Game guy, I am really interested in this. Can you fill us in on what took place or what was said? I'd just like to know.

Doubletake, Purples should be number 1. In my opinion, if Purples played South Warren schedule they would be undefeated. I think you would agree. If South played Purples schedule, they would have 1 (maybe 2) losses. I'm sure that is where you disagree. Red Devils and St. X (and Purples) would/could win 4A. No questions asked. To be fair, South should/could win 4A.

Thoughts?

DT, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to talk you off the cliff with words.

BG did lose (and they dropped in this ranking for it at THAT time). Having a tough schedule is a double edge sword. If you win, it makes you look good, but lose and there are consequences for that and you know my slogan of "if you lose in this poll, you drop". I stand by that.

SW is undefeated. Same thing can be said for playing a less tough schedule. If you win, good, but it doesn't make you look as good. That's where South is IMO in the Ultra-Hair Splitting contest.

You didn't like it last week when they dropped and I responded to your disdain at the #6 post on the following link, but you didn't respond to that. Spin also had a great vantage point, which I tried to respond to as the #12 post in this link:

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/western-kentucky-power-312195.html

Finally, I'm not sure what I have to do with the Sporting Times Magazine, as I've done nothing but amplify the Spartan accolades this year IMO and put them above ALL teams in most polls this year. You may not recognize that and only see your disdain for the Purples for this argument and that makes me sad.

What was told at the game was the Maroon coach said the HHS QB was out of control and was not a very good runner and if you put pressure on him he would just throw the ball away. He also stated the HHS offence was just like the HHS basketball team out of control. Looked like some bad blood is brewing if these two meet in the playoffs. This was the story at the game on Friday

What was told at the game was the Maroon coach said the HHS QB was out of control and was not a very good runner and if you put pressure on him he would just throw the ball away. He also stated the HHS offence was just like the HHS basketball team out of control. Looked like some bad blood is brewing if these two meet in the playoffs. This was the story at the game on Friday

Thanks Blue! I'm not looking for fights to break out, but I would like to see a good rivalry evolve between Hopkinsville and Madisonville in the Battle of the Pennyrile Parkway!

Map, This is a good catch actually from the standpoint to reiterate that this ranking is fluid. Rankings in past weeks are just that in past weeks. Those wins (and loses) carry forward, but only to a degree. And I do realize just how good Owensboro is because I moved them up 1 last week in front of a Very good Mayfield squad who is still very good but didn't hit on all cylindars last week and Owensboro is ranked ahead of them in most other polls.

Lastly, I would have had to have kept them in front of Caldwell County as well based on your post because Christian beat Caldwell by 3 first game of the year. Hoping you can see my point:thumb:

I can't disagree on the Caldwell being ahead of Christian. A lot has changed since the first game of the year and those Tigers have been on a roll ever since that game. Only one I questioned was Hoptown because they had a bye week after the Christian Co loss and then beat a Madisonville team that is just not very good. I understand that this fluid though and look forward to next weeks. Thanks for doing this each week.

Doubletake, Purples should be number 1. In my opinion, if Purples played South Warren schedule they would be undefeated. I think you would agree. If South played Purples schedule, they would have 1 (maybe 2) losses. I'm sure that is where you disagree. Red Devils and St. X (and Purples) would/could win 4A. No questions asked. To be fair, South should/could win 4A.

Thoughts?

If South played BGs schedule, I don't think they would have a loss. I have said since a few weeks ago that 5A is down this year so a hyped up win over Owensboro in a game that they REALLY should have lost doesn't mean a lot to me. Remember, WC played Owensboro close until the Final Quarter, and WC isn't even ranked top 10 in 4A. Furthermore, SW (whilst still injured at key positions) beat a Franklin team by 20 something points that beat WC. I watched BGs game against WC, and saw them not score at all in the 2nd half against a tired and undermanned Warren Central team....