Western Kentucky Power Ranking - 10/04/15

Purple88

Thanks Blue! I'm not looking for fights to break out, but I would like to see a good rivalry evolve between Hopkinsville and Madisonville in the Battle of the Pennyrile Parkway!

They have played every year for a long time. Has not been a district game in a while but has been a pretty heated rivalry that usually has some good games. This should continue in the years to come, especially now that they are district foes. Hopkinsville is getting back to its winning ways after a few years in the gutter and MNHHS is having a tough season but will not stay down long. Should be a good game for years to come.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DT, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to talk you off the cliff with words.

BG did lose (and they dropped in this ranking for it at THAT time). Having a tough schedule is a double edge sword. If you win, it makes you look good, but lose and there are consequences for that and you know my slogan of "if you lose in this poll, you drop". I stand by that.

SW is undefeated. Same thing can be said for playing a less tough schedule. If you win, good, but it doesn't make you look as good. That's where South is IMO in the Ultra-Hair Splitting contest.

You didn't like it last week when they dropped and I responded to your disdain at the #6 post on the following link, but you didn't respond to that. Spin also had a great vantage point, which I tried to respond to as the #12 post in this link:

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/western-kentucky-power-312195.html

Finally, I'm not sure what I have to do with the Sporting Times Magazine, as I've done nothing but amplify the Spartan accolades this year IMO and put them above ALL teams in most polls this year. You may not recognize that and only see your disdain for the Purples for this argument and that makes me sad.

Let me explain my reference to Sporting Times Magazine.... It's not that you, or them, don't highlight the successes of other schools. It's that it takes an act of GOD for you to feature/highlight the successes of other schools over BG (even when it's earned). And then the 1-2 times you happen to do it, you quickly about face to shine the spotlight on BG again after certain influences.... Now, I fully believe that you are entitled to your opinion due to you being a casual high school sports fan just as I am, so I am not upset or angry about your rankings. But seeing as this is a public forum, I am entitled to my opinion as well. That's where you and Sporting Times differ... they are supposed to be impartial due to being the Media, yet their coverage is 10-1 BG to every other school in their area. Sad.... I have gotten completely off topic. Please excuse me. SMH!

To your point earlier about "If you, lose you drop." How then does an undefeated team drop after being #1 and NEVER losing? Furthermore, what's the point of BG dropping if they will be promoted back to 1st whenever you feel like doing so?

They have played every year for a long time. Has not been a district game in a while but has been a pretty heated rivalry that usually has some good games. This should continue in the years to come, especially now that they are district foes. Hopkinsville is getting back to its winning ways after a few years in the gutter and MNHHS is having a tough season but will not stay down long. Should be a good game for years to come.

Thanks Map! I knew they were so close in proximity that it didn't make sense to not play. Glad it is leading to a more recent heated rivalry. Hope they meet again in the playoffs.

Owensboro has wins over CC and Owensboro Catholic and played BG to 17-14, South Warren has beaten Central Hardin who played without their star RB. SW had 139 yds of offense in that game. IMO, Owensboro is the better team with better wins than SW. So as far as griping that you are better than BG, no way.

SW can and should win 4A, there's not much competition (but so would BG and Owensboro if they were in 4A).

It's that it takes an act of GOD for you to feature/highlight the successes of other schools over BG (even when it's earned). And then the 1-2 times you happen to do it, you quickly about face to shine the spotlight on BG again after certain influences.... Now, I fully believe that you are entitled to your opinion due to you being a casual high school sports fan just as I am, so I am not upset or angry about your rankings. But seeing as this is a public forum, I am entitled to my opinion as well. That's where you and Sporting Times differ... they are supposed to be impartial due to being the Media, yet their coverage is 10-1 BG to every other school in their area. Sad.... I have gotten completely off topic. Please excuse me. SMH!

To your point earlier about "If you, lose you drop." How them does an undefeated team drop after being #1 and NEVER losing? Furthermore, what's the point of them dropping if they will be promoted back to 1st whenever you feel like doing so?

Concerning the upper paragraph, I have said more than once that your are entitled to your opinion and I appreciate you voice to support the Spartans and I've said it again. I am more than a "casual" fan. I am not an expert, but I love HS football. I've been to 8 games this year for multiple teams including SWarren.

"An act of God to feature other schools", REALLY?:isurrender:

South Warren was the #1 team after the first week of games climbing over BG and Mayfield. How many people would have done that? SWarren has been the #1 team in this poll for 4 Weeks, more than any other team including BG.

Concerning the second paragraph, you continue to ignore my response to the link and its points in #26 of this thread. You don't want to hear why. You just want South at #1 regardless or strength of schedule, how they are playing compared to earlier in the year and compared to how others are playing. So be it :rolleyes:

Owensboro has wins over CC and Owensboro Catholic and played BG to 17-14, South Warren has beaten Central Hardin who played without their star RB. SW had 139 yds of offense in that game. IMO, Owensboro is the better team with better wins than SW. So as far as griping that you are better than BG, no way.

SW can and should win 4A, there's not much competition (but so would BG and Owensboro if they were in 4A).

Good points Brown! I admit that I am struggling with #2 through #4 at the moment, as all 3 teams could make an argument on paper for the 2 spot.

BTW, I think Owensboro looks good for a long way now after the Christian game.

Any word on the Garner injury as far as second opinions your aware of?

SW has 1 good game on their schedule - Central Hardin. Good win, but CH was without Arnette the power back. It's hard to judge a team that schedules easy. Owensboro, BG, McCracken, Mayfield would also be 10-0 with that schedule. 4A is wide open for them and not much competition (Owensboro and Highlands moved out). South is a good team, but no legitimate argument for being number 1 in this poll after BG beat Owensboro. Owensboro is the runner-up in 4A last year and returned most everything on defense and most skill players besides the QB. That was a huge win by BG IMO.

I'm good with Oboro being #4 in this poll, although personally watching them, I don't think any team in this poll besides BG would beat them. Owensboro is just solid everywhere and the QB is coming along. 2 great RB's, several good and fast WR's, mammoth O-line that dominates (CC stacked the box with 9 to 10 players and OHS had 350+ yds rushing). Defense returned most everyone. Greer full time Defensive Tackle now great D-line, great linebackers (although losing Gardner hurts) - and they all have great speed.

IMO this is the fastest defense I can remember in quite a while for OHS.

I haven't heard anything else on Gardner - he is a great athlete.

South had 139 yards after losing their leading WR after their starting QB, leading WR, and starting DT/Offensive Lineman went down in the 1st half. Let's not ignore those realities.

SW has 1 good game on their schedule - Central Hardin. Good win, but CH was without Arnette the power back. It's hard to judge a team that schedules easy. Owensboro, BG, McCracken, Mayfield would also be 10-0 with that schedule. 4A is wide open for them and not much competition (Owensboro and Highlands moved out). South is a good team, but no legitimate argument for being number 1 in this poll after BG beat Owensboro. Owensboro is the runner-up in 4A last year and returned most everything on defense and most skill players besides the QB. That was a huge win by BG IMO.

Actually he started and played in the SW game, but he just like 6 SW players were injured during the course of that game.

Brown I have seen Onot sure I see them as more than 4 WC SHOULD OF COULD OF beat them as for schedule SW has played all non district bigger schools 2 6a schools that are/or have been ranked in top 10also 1 4 a ranked in top 10 your best win is beating a 2a ranked team and you give up 24 to a soft CC team not impressed sorry I thought since you always dog SW u deserve to hear the truth I for one have have no problem with BG 1

My question is this: what has South Warren done to warrant the respect they're getting? I realize they are a young school, but they pulled big numbers and have always had the benefit of being a larger school than the class they're playing in. Until South Warren shows me something or plays a good schedule, I can't put them over BG, OHS, or McCracken.

You don't need to compare yourself to Bowling Green just because you set your schedule is as good as Bowling Green doesn't make it so as for South Warren there schedule are all larger class teams out of distrct with 2 6a teams being ranked and 1 4a being ranked while Owensboro best win is against a 2 a team as for McCracken also best win against 2a team so all that tells me is yall good against 2a teams also I have seen Owenboro play have you seen SW