Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Steve Smith Sr. says a Steeler (Mike Mitchell?) is on his 'lifetime hit list'

Featured Replies

Mike Mitchell is constantly out of position and making the wrong reads. He's not good in the sense he's nowhere near the top of any 'best safeties' list.

 

No one said he is one of the best safeties, but he is good enough to get multiple contracts and start on some of the best defenses in the NFL, so I would say that puts him in the upper echelon or he would be relegated to back up duty, or not given contracts to such well known defenses in the first place. It really makes me wonder if people just blindly listen to commentators or if they actually understands defensive and offensive concepts.

  • Replies 59
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Steelers defense is not good.

 

Specifically the secondary...

Don't think MM is too worried. Given Smith's age and the weekly injuries he incurs I don't think his NFL "lifetime" is too long.

 

He's already said this is his final season.

 

Not to mention, Mitchell wasn't even involved.

 

I didn't think Mitchell was involved in that play either. It was the first thing I looked for when I watched the replay.

 

The two were jawing a couple times throughout the game, but I don't think he made that hit.

He's already said this is his final season.

 

Did he? So his lifetime hit list is one more game. :D

Specifically the secondary...

 

They are in the upper half of the NFL in passing yards, at 14th, and total yards given up a game, and 7th in points allowed per game. So yea I guess they have a real bad defense:ohbrother:

 

This comes from a guy who hates the Steelers, but a few commentators have said "this isn't your old defensive Steelers" so now everyone is buying it huh? Stat's would contradict that.

No one said he is one of the best safeties, but he is good enough to get multiple contracts and start on some of the best defenses in the NFL, so I would say that puts him in the upper echelon or he would be relegated to back up duty, or not given contracts to such well known defenses in the first place. It really makes me wonder if people just blindly listen to commentators or if they actually understands defensive and offensive concepts.

 

Upper Echelon is not something I'd ever use when describing Mitchell as a player.

 

He's turned in a good career so far, in regards to earnings, but he's far from being a top safety, and that's what I consider upper echelon to be.

 

It was smart of him to start opening his mouth more and try to make big hits, instead of smart plays while in Carolina. That pays a lot more.

They are in the upper half of the NFL in passing yards, at 14th, and total yards given up a game, and 7th in points allowed per game. So yea I guess they have a real bad defense:ohbrother:

 

Dude, 3 of their 4 opponents have horrendous offenses/QBs. The Rams and the 49ers can't throw the ball to save their lives. The defense is not good. It's average at best.

Upper Echelon is not something I'd ever use when describing Mitchell as a player.

 

He's turned in a good career so far, in regards to earnings, but he's far from being a top safety, and that's what I consider upper echelon to be.

 

It was smart of him to start opening his mouth more and try to make big hits, instead of smart plays while in Carolina. That pays a lot more.

 

Wait... so these NFL GM's are so bad that he sucks at covering and making smart plays, but they will pay him money and he will start in the NFL because he "opens his mouth and makes big hits?" I am really flabbergasted here.... seems to me GM's making moves like that wouldn't last long is a cutthroat business like the NFL where the only thing that matters is winning. I mean if he only talks and hits, and plays dirty he would be hurting his team not helping it.

It happens. Some GMs thought Colin Kaepernick was worth a boatload of money...Some GMs thought Albert Haynesworth was worth a ton too.

Wait... so these NFL GM's are so bad that he sucks at covering and making smart plays, but they will pay him money and he will start in the NFL because he "opens his mouth and makes big hits?" I am really flabbergasted here.... seems to me GM's making moves like that wouldn't last long is a cutthroat business like the NFL where the only thing that matters is winning. I mean if he only talks and hits, and plays dirty he would be hurting his team not helping it.

 

Be flabbergasted all you want. I stand by what I said. He's a mediocre safety in the NFL.

 

Heck, I even remember @theguru or someone posting something very similar a while back. Dude started opening his mouth more and it got him more noticed.

The Steelers defense is not good.

They've poorly addressed the defensive backfield. Mitchell signing is exhibit A. However, Cockrell, the kid they just acquired has some serious upside. Like I said earlier, health issues aside, I think you'll see the Steeler D start to improve around week 8. They're still very young. Pass rush is improving.

Be flabbergasted all you want. I stand by what I said. He's a mediocre safety in the NFL.

 

Heck, I even remember @theguru or someone posting something very similar a while back. Dude started opening his mouth more and it got him more noticed.

 

All you gotta do is ask (the majority of) Steelers fans on this board what they think of Mitchell....Ain't that right, @spindoc?

I stand by what I said.

 

Heck, I even remember @theguru or someone posting the exact same thing a while back. Dude started opening his mouth more and it got him noticed.

I don't care who said what, you are talking about from GM down to the lowest quality control coach each team has between 20-30 million dollars on their staff, and you are saying these guys don't know who can play and who can't in the NFL? You really think you are a better armchair GM and coach then these guys getting paid millions? You truly think a guy is getting multiple offers and contracts because he opens his mouth and and hits hard? I mean if you truly stand by that I can respect you for at least sticking by what you said but its still truly absurd to think he has started for multiple teams in the NFL when everyone is chomping at the bit to get a shot to play and start in the NFL. If he was not capable of doing it someone would have replaced him.

 

Its the No Fun League where the NFL hates trash talking and hard hitting defensive players, teams don't want players who get fined, take cheap shots and can't cover. This league is won by teams who can pressure the QB and cover on the back end... its not the 90's you don't see a team with a John Lynch or Steve Atwater in the secondary.

 

I hate the Steelers but it's absurd to think he chose to sign with the Steelers when he had other offers, and starts if he can't play.

Be flabbergasted all you want. I stand by what I said. He's a mediocre safety in the NFL.

 

Heck, I even remember @theguru or someone posting something very similar a while back. Dude started opening his mouth more and it got him more noticed.

Mediocre would be an upgrade. And I watch him each and every week

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.