Louisville Area Power Rankings 8-31-15

Bert

1) Trinity High School (2-0, defeated Brentwood Academy 31-13) – While not as convincing of a victory as the week before against Ensworth, still a solid victory over a traditional Tennessee power. The real test for who is #1 will be in two weeks against Male. Next week, Lafayette

2) Male High School (2-0, defeated Ballard 45-7) – Some will say after such a victory over a Louisville Area Top Ten would justify being #1 . They may be correct and in two weeks the Bulldogs will be able to prove that as they welcome the Shamrocks but for next week, Male has what many would believe is a stress free game against Fairdale.

3) St. Xavier High School (1-0, defeated Henry Clay 40-13) – St. X needed a game to get the Simon Kenton scrimmage out of their memory and get a decent win. Next week the Xavierans get to prove they deserve a top 3 ranking when they take on Bowling Green who has been a very painful thorn in St. X’s side in past years.

4) St. Francis DeSales (2-0, Defeated Butler 49-13) – Said it last week, will say it agains this week,DeSales being DeSales they win and they win convincingly. Next week they will face Ballard and will be favored but not heavily favored.

5) DuPont Manual High School (2-0, Defeated Fern Creek 28-18) Manual gets a respectable win against Fern Creek. Next week will play Seneca and be highly favored in the match up.

6) Christian Academy of Louisville (1-1, Defeated Eastern 42-7) – with a respectable loss to 6A, NKY power Simon Kenton and pounding Louisville 6A Eastern, CAL is looking respectable. Next week the take on Central who is struggling at the moment.

7) Ballard (1-1, defeated by Male 45-7) – This was the game of the week but certainly did not turn out that way. Ballard is still ranked 7th due to their performance against Oldham Co. and when you get further down this ranking, teams start getting really shaky. Next week they face the strong Colts. DeSales will be favored so if Ballard could pull off the upset, the loss to Male starts looking more like a good team just played awful. If Ballard loses again, the team that looked strong entering the season will look very average.

8) Pleasure Ridge Park (2-0, Defeated Meade Count 35-0) – Two back to back strong wins put PRP in the top ten. Next week should be another blow out against Doss.

9) Spencer County (2-0, Defeated Nelson County 55-26) – With another strong win, Spencer County moves up a spot. Next week they will take on East Jessamine.

10) Central Hardin (1-1, Defeated Paducah Tilghman 48-25) – Central Hardin’s opening season loss kept them out of the ranking but the sound win over PT got them the 10th spot. John Hardin is nipping at their heels to be ranked. Next week they take on Bullitt East.

Big Riser(s) – Goes to PRP. Will be interesting how they do when they face the stiffer competition in their schedule.

Big Dropper(s) – Would have to go to Meade Co and Central. While out of the Top Ten, neither are out for good and could find their way back in.

Game of the Week – St. X versus Bowling Green. This game always generates quite a bit of discussion on BGP so we all cannot wait for that game.

I'm curious why everyone has the X/BG game as the game of the week. Just asking...don't go crazy on my.

BG #1 in 5A and X #6 -10 in most state wide polls.

Trinity and Lafayette is a match up of two top 5 reams in the same class.

Seeing BG and X mentioned by many as the game of the week. Sounds good to me...just wondering how/why. Would love to see Lafayette get some respect with all the big names coming to Louisville Friday night. Can't wait to see the highest rated player in the history of our state play against the Rocks...oh, and Landon Young, and Walker Wood, etc!!!

I'm curious why everyone has the X/BG game as the game of the week. Just asking...don't go crazy on my.

BG #1 in 5A and X #6 -10 in most state wide polls.

Seeing BG and X mentioned by many as the game of the week. Sounds good to me...just wondering how/why. Would love to see Lafayette get some respect with all the big names coming to Louisville Friday night. Can't wait to see the highest rated player in the history of our state play against the Rocks...oh, and Landon Young, and Walker Wood, etc!!!

Because in the BG-St. X game, both teams have a chance to win.

Old School, IMO the biggest reason the Trinity v Lafayette game isn't getting more respect is because the game is at Trinity first and second I think MOST feel Lafayette will get Smoked (just look at who they have beaten vs who Trinity has beaten this year - case closed). Doesn't matter if they are in the top 5 or not. Who has Lafayette beaten in the past 3 seasons that you'd call significant? For BG and St X, I could give you several, plus both's histories, plus the very close 6-0 OT game last year. If you need any more, let me know. And I'm not a Lafayette hater as all, don't really know much about them.

Frakes & 88...I love it. You guys enjoy and I'm sure it will turn out to be better than the price of admission. This might be another good one, much like last year. I'll have to take BG until we learn more about X over the coming weeks. Henry Clay wasn't much of a challenge.

Hope Purple88 is right about the Rocks. Lafayette is loaded with talent. I'm looking forward to another packed house on Shelbyville Rd. The 12th man will be out in full force for a "Beach Night" theme.

Plenty of good games around the city/state. Been a great start to the season!

Spencer County has no business being on this list, especially above Central Hardin. It would be a blow out if they played. They should have a good record this year thanks to a weak schedule, and they will definitely be a player in their district, but I don't see any reason to think they are Top 10 in the Louisville Metro.

Spencer County has no business being on this list, especially above Central Hardin. It would be a blow out if they played. They should have a good record this year thanks to a weak schedule, and they will definitely be a player in their district, but I don't see any reason to think they are Top 10 in the Louisville Metro.

If Central Hardin were raised to 9th who would you propose be ranked #10 ?

If Central Hardin were raised to 9th who would you propose be ranked #10 ?

I think you could put Collins, North Oldham, Shelby County or Spencer in there and who could argue. Yes I know the view that Collins and North are far superior to Spencer and Shelby but who really knows. All are 2-0, all have pretty convincing wins. The good thing is it all gets to play itself out!

I think you could put Collins, North Oldham, Shelby County or Spencer in there and who could argue. Yes I know the view that Collins and North are far superior to Spencer and Shelby but who really knows. All are 2-0, all have pretty convincing wins. The good thing is it all gets to play itself out!

I don't think North Oldham and Collins are far superior to Spencer and Shelby this year. Both Collins and North are somewhat rebuilding and Shelby and Spencer have started off hot. District 4 is going to be very competitive this year because there is no elite team in the district like there has been in the past (no Atherton or Waggener automatic wins either). Anyone can beat anyone else. I'm interested to see how all these teams stack up against better competition, because so far the competition hasn't been the best. Right now if I had to pick someone to put in the Metro Top 10 it would probably be North at #10 . I just don't see any reason at all to put Spencer in the top 10 right now. If they end up winning a few district games then there is definitely reason to think they deserve a spot, but right now, nothing tells me they are one of the 10 best teams in the Louisville Metro, and certainly not better than Central Hardin.

That is what I tell myself when putting this ranking together. If someone could read my mind and listen to me argue with myself whether Trinity or Male should be number 1 and who should round out the last few spots, you would have a good laugh or think I am crazy. In the end, I just remind myself that in a few weeks, the rankings will start working themselves out as the teams play each other and just give a best shot at these early rankings.

I don't think North Oldham and Collins are far superior to Spencer and Shelby this year. Both Collins and North are somewhat rebuilding and Shelby and Spencer have started off hot. District 4 is going to be very competitive this year because there is no elite team in the district like there has been in the past (no Atherton or Waggener automatic wins either). Anyone can beat anyone else. I'm interested to see how all these teams stack up against better competition, because so far the competition hasn't been the best. Right now if I had to pick someone to put in the Metro Top 10 it would probably be North at #10 . I just don't see any reason at all to put Spencer in the top 10 right now. If they end up winning a few district games then there is definitely reason to think they deserve a spot, but right now, nothing tells me they are one of the 10 best teams in the Louisville Metro, and certainly not better than Central Hardin.

I am curious to see how North Oldham plays against E Town because from reading the Western KY Power Rankings, E Town seems to be a pretty good team this year. Also, John Hardin recovered well from their opening season loss to South Warren with a nice win over North Hardin so if they have another nice win this weekend, they make a good argument also. The following game is against PRP and then Central Hardin. September will probably put some separation between team by answering a lot of questions.

Bert I totally agree with your thinking. North Oldham I think has come out of the box swinging and will take care of E-town. I have not been impressed with John Hardin. I am not totally sold if a win over Warren Central will be that impressive unless they beat them 14 or more. You are right, by the end of sept we will know more about each team. 4A District 4 will be fun to watch...