Sheryl Attkisson exposes manipulation of info on the Net by powerful corporations

Bluegrasscard

Might get more interest in this thread if you didn't have AstroTurf in the title. Initially, I thought it had to do with a cover up off the negative effects of installing artificial turf......I learned something today!

I thought the same thing. :lol2:

_______

At the surface-level what she said is already common sense for people who aren't eligible for a senior discount.

But, I question what her takeaway was intended to be. It seemed like the insinuation was "ignore what you read and trust your gut" and not "ignore marketing and find quality sources instead."

Hey everyone, I made an edit on the title but we need to get this one right. We are limited by characters on the title but if some of you want to refine it more let me know.

Also, that was an EXCELLENT talk, one of the best TED talks ever and TED talks are some of the best time you will ever spend watching TV/presentations.

One takeaway is Wikipedia is corrupt according to the speaker. Basically Wikipedia is driven by money and special interest and sponsorship. In other words Wikipedia, get ready because not too far down the line you are going to be involved in all types of litigation. The speaker said that in one study Wikipedia contradicted medical research 90% of the time. She said you should never trust what you read on Wikipedia.

On a personal note, the speaker made an excellent point about wrongdoing. She said people attack the people that expose wrongdoing rather than the wrongdoers. Instead of questioning authority they question those that question the authority. I can 100% relate to that as the Independent Owner of BGP.

Finally, everyone should watch this presentation.

She also mentions that Snopes has been duped.

Some researchers say that Snopes isn't as pure as most believe and that slant responses based on personal beliefs of the founders.

Let me guess — this only happens when they attempt to debunk a conservative position's claims?

She also mentions that Snopes has been duped.

Some researchers say that Snopes isn't as pure as most believe and that slant responses based on personal beliefs of the founders.

Snopes is a joke of source for conversational. But even the White Houses uses Snopes as a source on certain things of controversy. Go figure.

Let me guess — this only happens when they attempt to debunk a conservative position's claims?

Couldn't say, I was just looking into what she said about Snopes getting duped sometimes and found many others saying that Snopes isn't batting 1.000 on their claims. I didn't dig into it very far.