Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How tall will he get?

Featured Replies

  • Author

My daughter fits the formula. Eldest son is 3 inches taller than he is suppose to be. :) Next eldest is an inch taller than he should be, and still growing. Next 2 still have lots of potential.

  • Replies 45
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't crunched the numbers yet, but I agree that the mother's height plays a huge role. I think the mother's father plays a role, too.

  • Author

I totally agree in the mother's father having a big influence in height.

From 13? Yeah. I quit growing when I was 17.

 

I grew 3" in college. My wife's brother (who is 6'2") grew 2" in college. I think my son and daughter are doomed to be late bloomers in terms of full height.

According to this, my daughter will be 5' 6.5"; however, she will be 7 at the end of August and is already 4' 6".

I had the benefit of hand/wrist xrays and the films of the apices of the canine teeth. So, I knew better than any formula if they were still growing.

  • Author
According to this, my daughter will be 5' 6.5"; however, she will be 7 at the end of August and is already 4' 6".

Girls get their height long before the boys do. Think awkward middle school dances where the girls are towering over the boys.

 

Also, a girl's height when she begins menses typically is her adult height.

  • Author
Look at height of the child at age 2 and multiply by 2. Almost exact with my kids.

Agree. For girls, double their height at 18 months.

  • Author
When we see a young, talented basketball player, we often try to figure out how tall he/she will get.

 

So often, people focus on how tall the father is. According to the following method, mom's height plays a big part as well:

 

1. Add both mom and dads height. (inches)

2. Add 5 inches for boys. Subtract 5 inches for girls.

3. Divide by 2.

 

Most children will reach an adult height within 4 inches (10 centimeters) of this estimation.

 

Another way to estimate a child's adult height is to double a boy's height at age 2 or a girl's height at age 18 months.

Child growth: Can you predict adult height? - Mayo Clinic

 

How does this formula work out for you and your kids?

I added the article from Mayo Clinic. Note that it says that most will reach adult height within 4 inches of this formula. So now the formula should work for everyone.:lol2:

I added the article from Mayo Clinic. Note that it says that most will reach adult height within 4 inches of this formula. So now the formula should work for everyone.:lol2:

 

I guess it will now work for everyone, "within 4 inches of the formula", why even have a formula then? So you say to someone, "I can predict your child's adult height to within 4." "So you're telling me my son will be somewhere between 5'-9" and 6'-1", wow thanks a lot, this is so accurate". With this mind set I'll predict the next time the Timberwolves (worst record in the NBA) win the title, sometime in the next 40 years.

Sorry to be nosey, but more curious than anything. It looks like they got their height from you, but by any chance is their Mother's Dad or Mom tall?

 

Wife's mom was 5'0" on a good day. Wife's father was 6'1". Wife's brother is 6'5".

 

Wife's brother has two sons (our nephews) that never made it to 5'10" and both love to play hoops. Again, too many variables in said "formula".

  • Author
I guess it will now work for everyone, "within 4 inches of the formula", why even have a formula then? So you say to someone, "I can predict your child's adult height to within 4." "So you're telling me my son will be somewhere between 5'-9" and 6'-1", wow thanks a lot, this is so accurate". With this mind set I'll predict the next time the Timberwolves (worst record in the NBA) win the title, sometime in the next 40 years.

Then think of it as a range of 4 inches. Do plus or minus 2 inches of the formula. :idunno:

If he has hair where there wasn't any a few years ago, he's done

That doesn't work either. My sons grew 2-3 inches after high school. By your rule I'd be 5'2". I'm 5'10".

Boys grow at diffent rates. the docs can tell. Pubrity level with height at that time. Gave my son a range of 6'4. He's pushing 6'6 now at 19. Big feet. Also. Son is a size 15. Standing reach is what makes a guy taller. My son at 6'5 has the standing reach of a 6'8 NBA guy. this is how we get the term long player. Kid might be 6'2 but have the standing reach of a much taller player.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.