September 10, 201511 yr Trial will stay in Baltimore. Of all the challenges, I thought a change of venue would have the best chance. Though, the article says this is still possible. Police officers charged in Freddie Gray to be tried in Baltimore - Baltimore Sun
September 10, 201511 yr Trial will stay in Baltimore. Of all the challenges, I thought a change of venue would have the best chance. Though, the article says this is still possible. Police officers charged in Freddie Gray to be tried in Baltimore - Baltimore Sun How often do people win a change of venue request?
September 10, 201511 yr How often do people win a change of venue request? They're a bit more common in federal cases. In lower courts, though, I'm guessing maybe 10% or fewer of requests for change of venue are granted. Might even be less than 5%.
November 30, 201510 yr Trial begins today. For one of the officers, William Porter. Jury selection is what they are starting, based on what I read.
December 1, 201510 yr All 75 potential jurors said they were aware of the case and the settlement the city paid out.
December 1, 201510 yr All 75 potential jurors said they were aware of the case and the settlement the city paid out. It would make me nervous if they weren't.
December 1, 201510 yr Why? It would tell me that they are clueless about what is going on in their community.
December 1, 201510 yr It would tell me that they are clueless about what is going on in their community. There are a lot of people that are out of touch with what goes on around them, that doesn't mean they couldn't be good jurors. Everyone isn't as hyper vigilant about the news as the average BGPer. Many may be focused on their job, school or personal issues. Being clueless about an event should ensure a fair trial, shouldn't it? Granted that was a big local and national story, but when our Sheriff was Assassinated at a Fish Fry several years ago there were people months later that weren't aware of anything other than that he had died. That was the dominant story in this community for 6 months or longer, yet there were jurors that knew almost nothing about it when it came time for a trial a year later. I asked one juror afterwards how he knew nothing about the shooting, he said I work out of town, I don't read the paper, listen to the radio or watch the news.
December 1, 201510 yr There are a lot of people that are out of touch with what goes on around them, that doesn't mean they couldn't be good jurors. Everyone isn't as hyper vigilant about the news as the average BGPer. Many may be focused on their job, school or personal issues. Being clueless about an event should ensure a fair trial, shouldn't it? Granted that was a big local and national story, but when our Sheriff was Assassinated at a Fish Fry several years ago there were people months later that weren't aware of anything other than that he had died. That was the dominant story in this community for 6 months or longer, yet there were jurors that knew almost nothing about it when it came time for a trial a year later. I asked one juror afterwards how he knew nothing about the shooting, he said I work out of town, I don't read the paper, listen to the radio or watch the news. It doesn't preclude one from being a juror but it makes me question them. Anyone who gets selected for jury duty comes from the city of Baltimore. How anyone in Baltimore could not be aware would make me question them. How unaware can one be? Does being that unaware also tell me something else about their ability to adjudicate.
December 1, 201510 yr It doesn't preclude one from being a juror but it makes me question them. Anyone who gets selected for jury duty comes from the city of Baltimore. How anyone in Baltimore could not be aware would make me question them. How unaware can one be? Does being that unaware also tell me something else about their ability to adjudicate. I've worked with 10s of thousands of co-workers over the years and I would not in the least be surprised if someone wasn't aware of the details of an event like that. There are way more people just absorbed in their own life and daily struggles that most people realize. Doesn't mean they aren't smart people or intelligent people, just that they don't focus on things that don't concern them on a daily basis. I'm not shocked that everyone selected knows about the event but I also wouldn't have been shocked if many weren't knowledgeable of it either.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.